See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Jambo, 你好, Aloha from Tom Kellie in Beijing

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Abena

Abena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Tom, your photography is magnificent, and I really appreciate your support and encouragement of my meager attempts :-)  I've also gotten much support from lots of other folks on the ST site.  Only recently do I have time to post more frequently and to read some of the threads.  It's all great stuff and makes me want to travel more and see more of the beautiful life on this planet Earth.  I'm with you and others on plant life - I love plants - and they move around a lot less than birds. ;)

• Tom Kellie likes this

#42 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Tom, your photography is magnificent, and I really appreciate your support and encouragement of my meager attempts :-)  I've also gotten much support from lots of other folks on the ST site.  Only recently do I have time to post more frequently and to read some of the threads.  It's all great stuff and makes me want to travel more and see more of the beautiful life on this planet Earth.  I'm with you and others on plant life - I love plants - and they move around a lot less than birds. ;)

batik.jpg    trois.png

~ @Abena:

The stunning batik pattern above and the Batiks for Life motto are both inspiring.

Your work in Ghana is exactly the sort of positive action which I most admire.

Throughout my life most friends and acquaintances have been directly or indirectly in various forms of social justice. By contrast, I've been more pulled toward empirical natural science, with a continuing interest in the decorative qualities of the natural world.

I suppose that I'm more of a Matisse type than a Picasso type. Nonetheless, while my own life has been mostly devoted to plants and critters, I greatly respect those who work for social change. Thus your current life in Ghana strikes a powerful chord with me here in Beijing.

We're both far from home and loved ones, doing our part to serve where the needs are greatest.

Thank you for your very generous comments. I agree that plants are a lovely component of the biosphere which deserve attention.

With Respect,

Tom K.

#43 Abena

Abena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

@Tom K - thank you for your comments and for looking at my website!  I'm honored :rolleyes:  I think all of us here in the ST community have a deep caring for our beautiful planet and her inhabitants and we all express that in our own unique way.  I loved your comment about the "decorative qualities of the natural world."  I get what you mean. Where was home before Beijing?

• Tom Kellie likes this

#44 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

@Tom K - thank you for your comments and for looking at my website!  I'm honored :rolleyes:  I think all of us here in the ST community have a deep caring for our beautiful planet and her inhabitants and we all express that in our own unique way.  I loved your comment about the "decorative qualities of the natural world."  I get what you mean. Where was home before Beijing?

~ @Abena:

Your Web site, Batiks for Life, is a real joy — both inspirational and beautiful.

What I most admired about Henri Matisse, who passed away on the eve of my 1st birthday, was his lifelong commitment to the decorative qualities of nature. Patterns, saturated colors, visual juxtapositions — Matisse used all of them to express his love of life. Personally a reserved, reticent individual, his work was frequently wildly vibrant, expressing his inner feelings which were otherwise muted.

I identify with Matisse, and feel myself to be richly blessed to regularly observe firsthand scenes and subjects which abound in decorative value.

Prior to serving as a faculty member in Beijing, I did likewise on the island of Kyushu, in Japan.

My family lived on the North Shore of Kauai, where my nearly 92-year old father still lives.

Tom K.

#45 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

Palm Frond Detail.jpg

Palm Frond in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Province, China (云南西双版纳)

~ @Game Warden and all Safaritalk Members

I joined Safaritalk on 17 March, 2015, thus today marks 84 days or 12 weeks of membership.

Both before and after joining Safaritalk I felt that the years of safari and Africa experience of the veteran members, their high technical and aesthetic proficiency in photography and their razor-sharp awareness of bird, mammal, reptile, insect and plant species, were of a level beyond anything I might muster.

I work and live half a world away in very different circumstances than what I've glimpsed during eight safaris in Kenya. Accordingly, it seemed essential to do my homework, as I assign to my own students, in order to augment my meager understanding of African wildlife and safaris.

During the past dozen weeks I've read a number of archived posts — chiefly Trip Reports, Safari Talk and World Wildlife — in order to develop a fundamental understanding of what most other Safaritalk members know from extensive feet-on-the-ground experience over decades past. Reading is no substitute for experience, but does introduce basic concepts and unresolved issues.

Well into my first trip report I went on the eighth safari, during which I reflected on my need to bring myself up-to-speed on wildlife conservation issues. Accordingly, after returning from Kenya I temporarily suspended writing the trip report to instead concentrate on reading what others have discussed. Doing so has been a deeply enriching experience. Many members have patiently replied to my questions, filling in gaps in my awareness or gently pointing out my misconceptions.

What have I gleaned from weeks of reading? I now am certain that I know very, very little about African wildlife or about conservation issues. That suggests that the coming years will have many teaching moments in which I'll learn through stumbling, getting back up and moving forward.

The three Moderators, @kittykat23uk, @twaffle and @wilddog have all been patient and helpful during the past dozen weeks. Your inspired vision for Safaritalk could have no finer advocates than them. There have been several members who have been remarkably helpful in terms of wildlife, Africa and photography information — @Peter Connan, @Geoff and @armchair bushman have been particularly supportive and wise. Several others have been warmly encouraging through their wit and insight — @JohnR, @Kitsafari, @Sangeeta and @SafariChick.

There are two members who have most impressed me and each in their own way inspired my reading and writing. @graceland is one-of-a-kind, with a joie de vivre which I lack but highly admire in her. She approaches safaris with a vivacious sense of fun as well as a wide openness to fresh experience. 

Above all others @TonyQ exemplifies my notion of the sort of Safaritalk member that I'd like to become. His replies to others are invariably gracious and generous, with the kindness of a gentleman. His trip reports are the gold standard for me, as he puts himself in the background, placing all emphasis on the wildlife he sees and the cultural circumstances he experiences. I owe him many thanks for his unflagging courtesy and warmth towards all.

You, @Game Warden, and all active Safaritalk members share a commitment to wildlife conservation which I highly respect. I'm glad to be able to share posts and information gleaned from Safaritalk with my students and friends.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement throughout the past twelve weeks. One truly never knows what will happen in one's life.

As the ancient Chinese sage, Laozi, said: “千里之行, 始於足下”, i.e. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”.

I'm very glad that I took the first step by joining Safaritalk.

With Greatest Appreciation,

Tom K.

• Geoff, graceland, kittykat23uk and 7 others like this

#46 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

@Tom Kellie

Thank you - I am very honoured to be mentioned in this generous way in your 2000th post.

Congratulations on this achievement (and the Pith Helmet which you must wear always!). I have really enjoyed the perspective you bring to Safaritalk and look forward to your continued contributions.

• Thursday's Child and Tom Kellie like this

#47 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

@Tom Kellie

Thank you - I am very honoured to be mentioned in this generous way in your 2000th post.

Congratulations on this achievement (and the Pith Helmet which you must wear always!). I have really enjoyed the perspective you bring to Safaritalk and look forward to your continued contributions.

~ @TonyQ

Thank you SO MUCH!

Your example inspires me every time I write in my trip report.

I'll resume the trip report this week, now that the homework is finished.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

• Ben mosquito and TonyQ like this

#48 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,457 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Congratulations on achieving your pith in record time @Tom Kellie! You have certainly approached your Safaritalk journey with a sprint that even the swiftest cheetah would find hard to match! :)
  • Kitsafari and Tom Kellie like this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#49 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Dear @Tom Kellie,

A sincere and most happy Congratulations on the twelve week achievement of a Pith Helmet :D  Of all members you deserve it , so  wear it well.

An intense 12- week course of all things "Safaritalk"is an achievement no one else has ever attained! Wear it proudly!  As proudly as a Triple Crown!

We know your love of Africa, the deep emotion and joy with which you write; including as well sharing with your  students the inhabitants of your bush home; the flora, fauna, wildlife, giving back to those you teach with experiences not just classrooms.

Thank  you as well for including me in your most generous thoughts of safari members that have influenced you over the past 12 weeks. Boy they have flown by!

I remember yout trepidation of the first few postings; and I was most encouraging as I did believe you were honestly a member who craved more and more resources on Africa; and have in return have shared and  contributed for all to learn.

It is said to do in life what you love....that makes it very easy to approach safaris with fun and joy. Such sheer delight to land on a dirt airstrip wondering what is ahead... not sure I am "one of a kind" but I will take that compliment with grace. Thank you Tom Kellie. You've been a joy to follow with your intense spirit of adventure and learning...

Best to you with your future safaris.. Africa will be smiling upon you :D

Edited by graceland, 08 June 2015 - 11:16 AM.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#50 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Congratulations on achieving your pith in record time @Tom Kellie! You have certainly approached your Safaritalk journey with a sprint that even the swiftest cheetah would find hard to match! :)

~ @kittykat23uk

That's really nice of you to say that!

These tired old bones don't feel much like a cheetah, but it does feel nice to fly along from time to time.

With Warmest Thanks,

Tom K.

#51 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Dear @Tom Kellie,

A sincere and most happy Congratulations on the twelve week achievement of a Pith Helmet :D  Of all members you deserve it , so  wear it well.

An intense 12- week course of all things "Safaritalk"is an achievement no one else has ever attained! Wear it proudly!  As proudly as a Triple Crown!

We know your love of Africa, the deep emotion and joy with which you write; including as well sharing with your  students the inhabitants of your bush home; the flora, fauna, wildlife, giving back to those you teach with experiences not just classrooms.

Thank  you as well for including me in your most generous thoughts of safari members that have influenced you over the past 12 weeks. Boy they have flown by!

I remember yout trepidation of the first few postings; and I was most encouraging as I did believe you were honestly a member who craved more and more resources on Africa; and have in return have shared and  contributed for all to learn.

It is said to do in life what you love....that makes it very easy to approach safaris with fun and joy. Such sheer delight to land on a dirt airstrip wondering what is ahead... not sure I am "one of a kind" but I will take that compliment with grace. Thank you Tom Kellie. You've been a joy to follow with your intense spirit of adventure and learning...

Best to you with your future safaris.. Africa will be smiling upon you :D

~ @graceland

You're too, too nice! Many heartfelt thanks for all that you've expressed above.

A couple of months ago I never dreamed that you and I would both have this experience in Spring, 2015.

Like you I simply love Africa — the landscape, the people, the critters — all of them — and the spirit.

The joy of it all is the sense that there's much more yet to come. One never knows what might be around the next bend.

May your next safari — wherever and whatever it may be — be as fun as mine all have been.

With A Big Smile and Much Gratitude,

Tom K.

p.s.  Now I gotta go find me a helmet!

#52 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

Tom, I believe @Game Warden has a stockpile of them but you have to walk the Trail and carry his bags, Tuskers, Gin and food bounty. And soap.

Because it has been several months since I returned from the Mara, I booked a Sept. safari to the "Pearl of Africa".

Lets hope it lives up to its' name; as I will be wearing my grandmothers pearls in lieu of a pith :)

I hope to see a  photo of you teaching your Chinese students proudly sporting YOUR new pith!

Edited by graceland, 08 June 2015 - 12:02 PM.

• kittykat23uk, optig and Tom Kellie like this

#53 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Quite an achievement Tom! It shows true dedication to ST. The Boss will no doubt sort out the Pith for your avatar.☺

Enjoy your day.
  • Tom Kellie likes this

#54 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

Tom, I believe @Game Warden has a stockpile of them but you have to walk the Trail and carry his bags, Tuskers, Gin and food bounty. And soap.

Because it has been several months since I returned from the Mara, I booked a Sept. safari to the "Pearl of Africa".

Lets hope it lives up to its' name; as I will be wearing my grandmothers pearls in lieu of a pith :)

I hope to see a  photo of you teaching your Chinese students proudly sporting YOUR new pith!

~ @graceland

Ooh! —  The “Pearl of Africa” sounds like Uganda!

GREAT! My friend and guide, Anthony, has only the highest compliments for Uganda, its wildlife and its people.

Take a camera! Safaritalk would benefit from current Uganda wildlife, landscape and cultural photographs.

Between the two of us, the next many months wil have considerable safari activity.

I'll be in Kenya for two weeks at the end of July — you're off to Uganda in September — I'll return to Kenya in early October.

Shh! We'd better whisper. If @Game Warden knows, he'll be after us both for snazzy trip reports!

I'll be @Game Warden's bearer — Gunga Tom!

Those Tuskers can be mighty heavy. On the bright side — no razor, shaving cream or shaving mirror required.

Pearls in Uganda — add a Launer black handbag and they'll call you ‘Your Majesty’.

With everything else ‘Made in China’, somewhere there's a pith helmet. Students will be on it within a few days.

Uganda sounds like great fun! With your usual panache, it's sure to be a memorable safari!

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie, 08 June 2015 - 12:54 PM.

• graceland likes this

#55 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Quite an achievement Tom! It shows true dedication to ST. The Boss will no doubt sort out the Pith for your avatar.☺

Enjoy your day.

~ @wilddog

Thank you so much!

It's a holiday and birthday all rolled into one!

I'll ask my TAs to scout on the Internet here to see if any pith helmets are on offer.

If so, perhaps a fresh portrait.

With Happiness,

Tom K.

#56 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

~ @graceland

Ooh! —  The “Pearl of Africa” sounds like Uganda!

GREAT! My friend and guide, Anthony, has only the highest compliments for Uganda, its wildlife and its people.

Take a camera! Safaritalk would benefit from current Uganda wildlife, landscape and cultural photographs.

Between the two of us, the next many months wil have considerable safari activity.

I'll be in Kenya for two weeks at the end of July — you're off to Uganda in September — I'll return to Kenya in early October.

Shh! We'd better whisper. If @Game Warden knows, he'll be after us both for snazzy trip reports!

I'll be @Game Warden's bearer — Gunga Tom!

Those Tuskers can be mighty heavy. On the bright side — no razor, shaving cream or shaving mirror required.

Pearls in Uganda — add a Launer black handbag and they'll call you ‘Your Majesty’.

With everything else ‘Made in China’, somewhere there's a pith helmet. Students will be on it within a few days.

Uganda sounds like great fun! With your usual panache, it's sure to be a memorable safari!

Tom K.

Oh dear, my Launer - maybe HRM will lend me hers; I sold mine to pay for the Safari! The Pearl of Africa with diamond studs. Will be quite a report I am sure.....as yours! 

Every safari guide I'be been fortunte to know has told me Uganda was very special. I am determined to find out!

Have fun on yours as well...tell Anthony I appreciate him taking such good care of you :D

• Tom Kellie likes this

#57 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Oh dear, my Launer - maybe HRM will lend me hers; I sold mine to pay for the Safari! The Pearl of Africa with diamond studs. Will be quite a report I am sure.....as yours! 

Every safari guide I'be been fortunte to know has told me Uganda was very special. I am determined to find out!

Have fun on yours as well...tell Anthony I appreciate him taking such good care of you :D

~ @graceland

I'll soon be hocking my fountain pens and silverware to squeeze out one more safari!

Diamond studs and a G & T on a Ugandan forest slope. If that ain't class I don't know what is!

I'll tell Anthony! 

Safari  =  Fun

No one taught that to me in arithmetic classes, but we both now know it's true!

Tom K.

#58 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 11:24 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

Congrats on the Pith, Tom - looking forward to your next 2,000 posts here!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#59 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

Congrats on the Pith, Tom - looking forward to your next 2,000 posts here!

~ @michael-ibk

Thank you so much! 

The posts come one at a time — each one a different step.

I've learned so much through the reading and interaction with others and look forward to doing so in the future.

I've appreciated your warm support and comments and love your trip reports!

Many Thanks!

Tom K.

• michael-ibk likes this

#60 CaroleE

CaroleE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local time: 11:24 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

@Tom Kellie

I am so pleased I found your introduction post!

What beautiful words and pictures.

With what I have read so far you have already visited Africa many times therefore I am sure you will become a valued member on ST. Not only for your photography but also for the help/advice you will be able to give to others.  

I have just read that you already have your Pith! Congratulations!

Looking forward to trip reports and/or photos from your previous safaris.

• Tom Kellie likes this

Some work to live. Others live to work. I live and work to travel

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.