See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Jambo, 你好, Aloha from Tom Kellie in Beijing

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

Welcome to safaritalk ...... Can hardly wait to read more!!! and lots more!

• Tom Kellie likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#22 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to safaritalk ...... Can hardly wait to read more!!! and lots more!

~ Hello, @madaboutcheetah!

Many thanks for your warm support — coming from one of the most experienced and longest members of Safaritalk, it means a lot to me.

Your numerous supportive comments to others have been a model of what a Safaritalk member might become.

I'm about to write a first trip report — unsure how to proceed, but willing to do so.

For you, I'll attach an image taken six months ago.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

A Full Stretch.JPG

Photographed in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya on 2 October, 2014 at 6:11 pm using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 4000, 1/200 sec., f/3.2, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

This male Acinonyx jubatus had been resting when we encountered him.

Despite the late hour we tarried to observe, maintaining a respectful distance. After about twelve minutes he rose, stretched, and walked away, after which we headed back for dinner and rest.

The laterite reddish tones throughout the image were especially satisfying.

• Atravelynn, madaboutcheetah, TonyQ and 1 other like this

#23 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,631 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

@Tom Kellie, I hope you realise that I'm just a humble visitor to Kenya (mainly) and other safari countries. I love the mix of wildness and drama along with the generosity of people often struggling to maintain food and shelter for their families. I love the birds, although I don't photograph them particularly well and I love both the lush gardens and the arid vegetation.

Whenever people join Safaritalk with open minds, interesting stories and a willingness to share, then I think we are all blessed.

Like many others here, my stories and photos have improved with each trip and I think the act of writing and sharing makes us try that bit harder to make it all a bit more interesting each time.
  • Abena and Tom Kellie like this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#24 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:19 AM

@Tom Kellie, I hope you realise that I'm just a humble visitor to Kenya (mainly) and other safari countries. I love the mix of wildness and drama along with the generosity of people often struggling to maintain food and shelter for their families. I love the birds, although I don't photograph them particularly well and I love both the lush gardens and the arid vegetation.

Whenever people join Safaritalk with open minds, interesting stories and a willingness to share, then I think we are all blessed.

Like many others here, my stories and photos have improved with each trip and I think the act of writing and sharing makes us try that bit harder to make it all a bit more interesting each time.

~ @twaffle:

Reading your thoughtful comment above reinforces my impression that you really understand Kenya, as reflected in your trip reports.

What you mentioned about the “lush gardens and the arid vegetation” is so right! Those few words encapsulate Kenya's charm.

Now that I'm waist-deep in writing a trip report I have increased respect for the care and craftsmanship which you and others have put into preparing the many fine trip reports I've read.

Trip reports definitely aren't a ‘five minute dash and it's done’ affair. They take time and consideration.

Your lovely photos and stories are a joy, for which I'm grateful.

With Thanks,

Tom K.

• twaffle likes this

#25 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,868 posts
  • Local time: 04:50 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

You've traded correcting student papers for safaritalk.  Good move.

What a great intro thread you've crafted here!  The several photographer-and-his camera portraits offer a good insight into your state of mind.

As a fan of the cheetah, I liked your stretching cat too.

Looking forward to more observations, photos, and maybe even more poetry as you create your trip report.  Based on your intro title, it might be a multi-lingual report.

Edited by Atravelynn, 08 April 2015 - 03:16 AM.

• Kitsafari and Tom Kellie like this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#26 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:42 AM

~ @Atravelynn:

Writing at Safaritalk is for adults. That's a joy after ploughing through 200+ undergraduate life science research reports.

I'd never before entered into any social network — FaceBook and Twitter aren't accessible here in mainland China.

Unsure how to proceed, I opted for the “multiple views of plain old me” approach, assuming and hoping that Safaritalk members would sort through and reach their own conclusions.

I tend to like multiple views of the same subject, enabling multi-variable perception. Throughout my career I've kept coming up against the fact that there's no “one size fits all” approach to most subjects.

Hence various portraits of me as safari photographer.

BTW: There are many, many more cheetah photos. I've photographed more cheetahs in more places than any other major predator. In due time selected photos will be shared.

Most of my former colleagues  and friends around the globe are non-native English speakers. Certain concepts seem most aptly expressed in other languages. I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

I've enjoyed reading your comments scattered throughout Safaritalk archives. Many THANKS for honoring me with this post. It makes my day!

Tom K.

#27 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

@Tom Kellie

good to see that you are so active contributing on many topics

• Tom Kellie likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#28 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

@Tom Kellie

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

This is my first and only foray into social media.

In Beijing overseas social media has not been available for years.

The seven safaris I've been on have triggered more questions than supplying answers.

Like a child, this 61-year old safari novice is hungry to understand more deeply.

Rather than having established views or opinions about everything, I;m at the stage where I want to sit on my haunches at the outer margins of the campfire to listen to the assembled elders tell tales of safaris past.

The more I read, the more I participate, the more I write and upload, the more I enjoy the experience.

Very major credit goes to the steady support and encouragement of @graceland, who's stoked my confidence.

Ditto @Kitsafari, whose example greatly inspires me.

@Peter Connan, @twaffle, @wilddog, @Tdgraves, @ZaminOz, @michael-ibk, @inyathi, @Geoff, @Soukous, @Bush_Dog, @FlyTraveler, @Bugs, @JohnR, @TonyQ, and @madaboutcheetah have each measurably encouraged me through their writing, photography and warmhearted friendly support.

@Safaridude's service to conservation, realistic wisdom, astute writing and exceptionally high quality photography set the bar to the highest level, which is a challenge I like.

With a genial group like that, how could I do otherwise than participate here and there?

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie, 09 April 2015 - 01:54 PM.

• ZaminOz, Kitsafari, TonyQ and 1 other like this

#29 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

@Tom Kellie

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

The seven safaris I've been on have triggered more questions than supplying answers.

Like a child, this 61-year old safari novice is hungry to understand more deeply.

Rather than having established views or opinions about everything, I;m at the stage where I want to sit on my haunches at the outer margins of the campfire to listen to the assembled elders tell tales of safaris past.

The more I read, the more I participate, the more I write and upload, the more I enjoy the experience.

Very major credit goes to the steady support and encouragement of @graceland, who's stoked my confidence.

@Peter Connan, @twaffle, @wilddog, @Tdgraves, @ZaminOz, @michael-ibk, @inyathi, @Geoff, @Soukous, @Bush_Dog, @FlyTraveler, @Bugs, @JohnR, @TonyQ, and @madaboutcheetah have each measurably encouraged me through their writing, photography and warmhearted friendly support.

With a genial group like that, how could I do otherwise than participate here and there?

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie,

I am pleased and honored you felt I stoked your confidence in continuing your MOST EXCELLENT posts and the ongoing amazing trip report, as I have probably been one of SafariTalk's most  non-confident member since 2009 (I believe) at my age, memory dwindles of those days long ago.

You will find as you continue with your writing journey here on ST,  a most supportive and interested group of safari enthusiasts who welcome all, especially those with your brand of enthusiasm.

I have a feeling it won't take  you over five years to don a pith with all your experiences so share!

I am taking my labrador for a much needed walk in the rain; I believe we'll spot a few osprey building their nests as we walk the river; along with our newly found black swans - A GREAT MORNING!

Hope you have one as well....

• Tom Kellie likes this

#30 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

~ @graceland:

You did it!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Safaris past, safaris dreamed and safaris yet to be — they're all good, aren't they?

With Respect and Appreciation,

Tom K.

• JohnR likes this

#31 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

@Tom Kellie, I am fortunate to have been born in Africa, and to have experienced nature from my earliest childhood, but I have squandered it, and the knowledge of missed opportunies hurts sometimes. For so many things have happened around me that I have not observed, experienced or committed to memory...

With your enthusiasm you enthuse me, with your humility you humble me, with your comapassion and thoughtfulnes you inspire me and with your striving to keep learning you inspire me to keep learning, and for this I thank you and I salute you. 

• graceland, Tdgraves and Tom Kellie like this
Ek oefen skelm.

#32 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

@Tom Kellie

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie,

I am pleased and honored you felt I stoked your confidence in continuing your MOST EXCELLENT posts and the ongoing amazing trip report, as I have probably been one of SafariTalk's most  non-confident member since 2009 (I believe) at my age, memory dwindles of those days long ago.

You will find as you continue with your writing journey here on ST,  a most supportive and interested group of safari enthusiasts who welcome all, especially those with your brand of enthusiasm.

I have a feeling it won't take  you over five years to don a pith with all your experiences so share!

I am taking my labrador for a much needed walk in the rain; I believe we'll spot a few osprey building their nests as we walk the river; along with our newly found black swans - A GREAT MORNING!

Hope you have one as well....

~ @graceland:

As the late Rosemary Clooney sang in her version of ‘Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow’ — a Sammy Cahn lyric — “The fire burned down to embers, but at our age, who remembers?

As a pedagogue of “a certain age”, I've long since abandoned any illusions of remembering every last detail of life.

What sticks in the memory, like snow on a fence-rail, is what abides.

All else is for the Universe to deal with as it sees best.

A walk in the rain with a labrador? Oh my, someone does indeed live a charmed life, pith handbag or no handbag.

Those new black swans, further evidence that Australia isn't really that far away, in the cosmic scheme of things.

My day is brimming with bonhomie, courtesy of the genial Safaritalk crew.

Tom K.

• graceland likes this

#33 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

@Tom Kellie, I am fortunate to have been born in Africa, and to have experienced nature from my earliest childhood, but I have squandered it, and the knowledge of missed opportunies hurts sometimes. For so many things have happened around me that I have not observed, experienced or committed to memory...

With your enthusiasm you enthuse me, with your humility you humble me, with your comapassion and thoughtfulnes you inspire me and with your striving to keep learning you inspire me to keep learning, and for this I thank you and I salute you. 

~ @Peter Connan:

I'm recovering my equilibrium after reading your warmly gracious comments.

Merci beaucoup, or, in other words, you've reached out from South Africa and added fuel to my writing in Beijing.

There have been several role models who inspired me to strive to put others first, to accentuate the positive, to maintain composure with a mix of ample laughter and gently applied decorum.

I've lately been very softly thinking about South Africa, Sabi Sands, to be precise. A short visit for just a few days might be a zesty contrast to my ongoing exploration of Kenya. This is strictly at the daydream stage, but the more I read on Safaritalk, and the more warmhearted South Africans I meet, the more the notion spins in my consciousness.

The block has been and continues to be my EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens. The Federal Airlines baggage restrictions for flights to and from Johannesburg to Leopard Hills may not accommodate the lens, without which I wouldn't go. Nonetheless, it's simmering on the back burner of my mind. No door has been closed yet.

Your comments above are very, very meaningful to me. @Peter Connan. As is sometimes said in China: “Ten thousand thanks!”

Tom K.

• Peter Connan likes this

#34 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

@Tom Kellie

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

@Safaridude's service to conservation, realistic wisdom, astute writing and exceptionally high quality photography set the bar to the highest level, which is a challenge I like.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie that's very kind and magnanimous of you to give me credit, although i assure you that I get bored with my own rambling reports and get embarassed tripping over with some silly or inane remarks that often leave me blushing at home but which the ST community is so kind not to remark on them. I love the pictures though because they bring back so many memories - all good ones, and some really emotional ones.

what i love about ST is that I am forever learning new things, and you are definitely teaching me new things with your postings! so thank you! 

Edited by Kitsafari, 10 April 2015 - 08:42 AM.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#35 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

@Tom Kellie

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie that's very kind and magnanimous of you to give me credit, although i assure you that I get bored with my own rambling reports and get embarassed tripping over with some silly or inane remarks that often leave me blushing at home but which the ST community is so kind not to remark on them. I love the pictures though because they bring back so many memories - all good ones, and some really emotional ones.

what i love about ST is that I am forever learning new things, and you are definitely teaching me new things with your postings! so thank you! 

Varanus salvator.JPG

~ @Kitsafari:

Your trip reports are anything but boring.

Several of my younger female students here feel overwhelmed, as if being outsiders, due to their love of nature.

I've specifically shared your trip reports to show that Asian ladies are as capable of adventure as anyone else.

BTW: Where was I on my 60th birthday? At Sungei Buloh, photographing Varanus salvator!

Tom K.

• Kitsafari, Peter Connan and Vanfei like this

#36 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:35 PM

@Tom Keilie

A walk in the rain with a labrador? Oh my, someone does indeed live a charmed life, pith handbag or no handbag.

Those new black swans, further evidence that Australia isn't really that far away, in the cosmic scheme of things.

I have lived a charmed life with my white lab for Twelve years now; she is the only reason I do not venture more into the wilds of Africa. WE do not enjoy leaving her, thus do not enjoy our trips as much, so for now, it is 
"I go"' - "he goes"  even as we plan a together trip; it is up to Gracie's health (which is VERY good) as to when we may travel together abroad.

BTW advise your students if this  60something lady from Virginia can do it....anyone can :blink:  Once you put your toes in the water,  you will be forever changed and swim towards adventures you never dreamed possible. When I joined ST years back, trying to figure out logistics (for a trip I never took) I found I had a flame inside that burned for more and more experience; the more I read; the more I wanted. Then you find a way to accomplish it.

I sometimes wonder WHO am I to have changed so much over the years- to require less and enjoy more!

Guess I have time to figure that one out :rolleyes:

I think everyone is charmed by your new presence on Safari Talk.  And then you are off once again!

• TonyQ and Tom Kellie like this

#37 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

@Tom Keilie

I have lived a charmed life with my white lab for Twelve years now; she is the only reason I do not venture more into the wilds of Africa. WE do not enjoy leaving her, thus do not enjoy our trips as much, so for now, it is 
"I go"' - "he goes"  even as we plan a together trip; it is up to Gracie's health (which is VERY good) as to when we may travel together abroad.

BTW advise your students if this  60something lady from Virginia can do it....anyone can :blink:  Once you put your toes in the water,  you will be forever changed and swim towards adventures you never dreamed possible. When I joined ST years back, trying to figure out logistics (for a trip I never took) I found I had a flame inside that burned for more and more experience; the more I read; the more I wanted. Then you find a way to accomplish it.

I sometimes wonder WHO am I to have changed so much over the years- to require less and enjoy more!

Guess I have time to figure that one out :rolleyes:

I think everyone is charmed by your new presence on Safari Talk.  And then you are off once again!

~ @graceland:

Gracie sounds like one very special dog.

Yours truly is very, very, very fond of dogs.

To say the very least...

•   To require less and enjoy more

There's a worthy motto for any safari-goer!

Thanks for that, @graceland!

Tom K.

#38 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hey @Tom Kellie,

A thanks back at you.

..and requiring less is mandatory for subsequent and frequent (enjoyable) Africa Safaris. I have yet to sleep on top of a car; but if necessity is the  mother, etc....one day a pic just might be posted of me climbing out of that tree house :wacko:

And now Gracie gets to go swim in the river; what a life!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#39 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

I am not sure if you would be interested  as a university science teacher but save the elephants maintains an email distribution list for full scientific papers on elephants

you can contact them at allpapers@elephantnews.org

• Tom Kellie likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#40 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

I am not sure if you would be interested  as a university science teacher but save the elephants maintains an email distribution list for full scientific papers on elephants

you can contact them at allpapers@elephantnews.org

~ @COSMIC RHINO:

I didn't know about that.

Many, many thanks for the tip and the link.

I'll share it with a class on this Saturday morning who are likely to be very interested in it.

There are several world class young researchers in genomics who are working with tissue samples to identify and track individual animals.

They're appalled by the ongoing wildlife slaughter throughout the globe, thus are refining genetic techniques for tracing the origin of animals with highest precision.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.