See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

TOP 10

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 koelan

koelan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

I know I know this topic is long dead... But ain't it fun? Some good old top 10's :-)

I'll have to stick to a top 5 for what African Parks are concerned. Just having visited 16 in total, so a top 10 would be pushing it.

So out of the visited 16: Etosha, Palmwag, Mahango (Caprivi), Moremi, South Luangwa, Nyika, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, Bwindi, Kibale, QE II, Addo, Kgalagadi, Ruaha, Selous, a top categorized 5 would have to consist of:

For best overall safari experiences: Ruaha, Moremi & Kgalagadi

For that one unique once in a lifetime experience: Bwindi

Because this one, although limited because on a very thight budget back then, was our very first: South Luangwa

2 'special mentions' go to: Addo, yes Addo National Park, SA. Because my expectations were low yet delivery was well above those expectations, obviously with elephants but especially with 2 marvellous caracal encounters.

And Kibale! OK, nothing beats the thrill of being in between gorillas, but we had splendid chimp tracking for a fraction of the cost at Kibale.

On my wish list?

Oh, plenty, but at the top must be:

- Again to South/West Tanzania to re-visit Ruaha, but especially getting to Katavi

- Getting back to South Luangwa (& possibly North Luangwa) 

- Mana Pools, Zim

- Some parks in Gabon if my euros would once stretch that far

- Been totally allured by this Zakouma park (and story!) lately

- Getting back to Bots to do the full drive Maun-Moremi-Savuti-Chobe-Kasane

Oh and did I forget to mention I'd love to get to Ethiopia, DRC & Madagascar to :P

• inyathi, optig and Tom Kellie like this

#42 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

~ @koelan

What a nice way to end 2015 — learning something.

As with most Safaritalk members, you have a far richer safari experience than I do, thus your list adds a couple of unfamiliar names.

Nyika? Palmwag?

Gotta do more reading to discover where they are.

That's half the fun of reading Safaritalk each week...there's some new destination about which I was unfamiliar.

Happy Travels 2016!

Tom K.

#43 koelan

koelan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Nyika is a highland park in Northern Malawi. Not exactly the wildlife densest place in world, but a sweet area and...simply my very first Africa experience so don't take me for objective ;-)

Palmwag is a private concession up North in Damaraland, Namibia. A private concession also offering...cheap camping and thus our choice.

For Namibia a relatively 'wild' place, that is in comparison with Etosha...

• optig and Tom Kellie like this

#44 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Nyika is a highland park in Northern Malawi. Not exactly the wildlife densest place in world, but a sweet area and...simply my very first Africa experience so don't take me for objective ;-)

Palmwag is a private concession up North in Damaraland, Namibia. A private concession also offering...cheap camping and thus our choice.

For Namibia a relatively 'wild' place, that is in comparison with Etosha...

~ @koelan

I'm grateful for the explanation.

Every place which is recommended is useful to know, providing texture to my evolving understanding of African safari geography.

Wild places have much to recommend them — I'm glad that you were able to visit such an area.

Tom K.

#45 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Has any one visited VIRUNGA NATIONAL PARK? ? How gud it is??

after watching the netflix movie VIRUNGA I really felt like going there...
  • optig likes this

#46 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

@gagan I spoke to an American lady who had visited Dzanga Sangha, Odzala,and Virirunga national park. She had visited Dzangha Sangha four years ago in Central African Republic,and felt that it was without a doubt better than Virunga or Odzala. She said there was no place in Africa that offered a better safari experience. I hope to visi Dzanga Sangha in 2019. I would only feel comfortable traveling with a group led by an experienced guide. There seems little doubt that the National park is safe, it's the rest of the country. 

I have to say that I want to visit the DRC not only to visit Virunga, but also to climb Mount Nyiragongo and spend a full days at Lake Kivu.  I'll need to wait until thing s become a little less volatile. 

• gagan likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.