Game Warden

Seeking Safari Travel Companion/s.

52 posts in this topic

I'm just curious if people have success finding travel companions here? We *might* be needing travel companions for a trip in September as it looks like our friends can't make it after all.

2 people like this

Always worth a try! Where are you planning to go @@JulieM?

We have booked a trip with Doug McDonald starting in Victoria Falls, then on to Hwange and Mana Pools. It'll be epic but our friends aren't sure they can make it.

Ah I think that's the sort of trip that should definitely engender some interest here!

1 person likes this

I hope so! I'll put up another post when they let me know if they definitely can't come. It's a bit daunting trying to find travel companions though - what if we don't get along?? We are pretty relaxed happy travellers who love a good laugh and love the wildlife and photography - there have to be a few other people like that on Safaritalk right?!

(Mostly) Aussie STers - Kimberley safari opportunity 22-25 August 2016

I have booked a 4D/3N trip from Darwin to Kununurra with local company Experience the wild. I'm looking for others to share costs and enjoy the wonderful wildlife of the east Kimberley region. Itinerary and cost details are here.

Happy to answer questions or you can talk directly to Mike at Experience the wild.

1 person likes this

Tanzania: Ruaha and Katavi with Solar Eclipse

Two photographers seeking for a third photographer

- focus on photography from sunrise to sunset (everything else is secondary)

- About two weeks

- End of August / Begin of September 2016

- 3 nights Katavai, 3 nights Ruaha, 1 night Mikumi, 2 nigths Selous.

- program is not fully fixed yet, we like to expand the time in Katavi and can trade in Mikumi/Selous.

- Fix point: annular solar eclipse in Katavi on September first, with a fair chance of clear sky.

- travel by car from / to Dar (no weight limitation for cameras, but very long travel time)

- Long Land Rover or Land Cruiser with one row for each person (we rotate rows every day)

- Driver-guide

- Lodges / Hotel within parks

- single compartment

- full board

- price: about 5500€ from/to Dar

- booking via travel agency in Germany

Intention is to share the Driver-guide and car to reduce cost or increase time in national parks.

Hi All

I am looking for a preferably female safari companion for a 5-6 night safari in late July to Kenya's Porini camps.

Anyone interested?

I am a 43 year old female, hence looking for female companion. However, men willing to share just the room and costs as well as some good conversation can also express interest!

Thanks in advance

Dee

@@dee_uu Dee: I would suggest introducing yourself first by starting a new topic in this forum and letting everyone know a little bit about yourself.

Matt.

Posted (edited)

I'm just curious if people have success finding travel companions here? We *might* be needing travel companions for a trip in September as it looks like our friends can't make it after all.

I have found some wonderful travel companions from this site. We did not recruit each other in this particular thread of Seeking Safari Travel Companion/s, but had "met" and conversed over the years over other various topics. At the moment I do have feelers out for a canoe buddy on this thread. Hoping it can work some magic. Can't hurt to try.

Last Sept I did a Doug MP trip with friends from this forum that was fantastic. Hope it works for you! Good luck!

Edited by Atravelynn
2 people like this

My daughter and I are thinking about a gorilla-focused trip to DRC in april 2017...

If not with Doug @@JulieM you could always organise a group to go on the Primitive trail with you... :)

That looks pretty awesome, but I have my heart set on Doug and Mana Pools.

So yes, we are looking for travelling companions!

Due to circumstances beyond their control, our travelling companions are no longer able to come with us on our epic adventure to Mana Pools, so we're looking for a couple of fun-loving adventurers to join us. We've booked @@Doug Macdonald to guide us, a legend here on Safaritalk and an absolutely top class guide. It should be a great trip.

The Mana Pools section of the trip starts on 23rd September 2016, with 3 nights in Chitake Springs, followed by 4 nights on the floodplain and then 2 nights in the Chikwenya section of Mana Pools. It is a mobile tented safari, but I hear the tents have ensuites. Our whole itinerary includes Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park to start with and I'm sure Doug could organise something for you either before or after Mana Pools as well.

About us: we live in Australia. I'm a kiwi and hubby is an Aussie. This will be our third trip to Africa, having done Botswana, Namibia and Kenya on other trips. We absolutely love being in Africa and relish every sighting. I'm into photography, but not in any professional way. I'd like to think we are fun travelling companions.

If you are interested please let me or Doug know.

Posted (edited)

I am going to Botswana and Okavango between 15-20 July (5 nights).
I´m staying at Khwai campsite and doing fully supported camping. Ensuite and comfortable tents. Khwai is a private concession. We can go offroad and do nightdrives.
Probably also going to visit Moremi and eventually Savuti depending on where the best action is at the moment.

As it is only me and the guide in the car we have alot of flexibility.
I am going to spend as much time as possible out in the field. That´s why I am in Okavango... not hang around in the tent. Although there will be some time for rest of course :)

Focus on Wild dogs, I so badly want to see them kill/eat and also the other cats.
Roan and Sable Antelope is also on my wanted-list :)

Anyone interested in joining to share the cost?
We have separate tents.

I am 39 Years old from Sweden who have done alot of Safaris and other "animal tours" before.

Contact me here in thread, via PM or on my mail if this is interesting:

andreas_19@hotmail.com

Edited by Antee
1 person likes this

Continuation of previous post...

I am also happy to share vehicle cost for 3 nightdrives in Marrick, outside Kimberley, South Africa.
I will be going there 10-13 July if you are keen on seeing some shy nocturnal animals.

1 person likes this

I met my great buddy @@Kitsafari and enjoyed her company immensely on safari last year through this site. I also met @Atravelynne on this site even if we haven't gone on safari together. There can be no better place to meet people with whom you want to go on safari.

Brazil- 2018 maned wolf , giant anteaters and birds of Canastra and caraca

Hi all

I am planning a trip to Brazil next year, probably September but my dates are wide open at the moment. I am looking for people to join me for about six nights covering serra do Canastra and the monastery at caraca that's famous for maned wolf. Probably four night at Canastra and the rest at caraca. Emphasis will be on finding the mammal highlights and general birding/photography. Could be open to adding a couple of extra days for other sites.

My plan is to combine this with some time in the Pantanal. I already have a friend who I am planning that part of the trip with but she isn't able to join me for this extension.

If anyone is interested or has any advice on local guides to deal with please let me know!

Jo

1 person likes this

greetings jjo. i am interested in r trip.

hari

@@hariari I would suggest you introduce yourself in this subforum and contribute a little to Safaritalk so as members can get to know you.

Matt

Posted (edited)

greetings jjo. i am interested in r trip.

hari

@@hariari

Hi Hari,

And anyone else who might be interested, the current plan is looking like (in no particular order ):

Six nights split 4/2 between canastra national park - supposed to be best place to find giant anteater plus chance of Maned wolf plus great birding including the Brazilian merganser. And the monastery at Caraça where maned wolf is habituated.

This is coming in at around 1600 US per person all in with transfers to and from belo horizonte, with a guide recommended by Tropical Birding based on two single rooms) . Other quotes have been a bit higher and this guy seems flexible enough that we can do some night drives too which aren't permitted inside the park. A female room share would be more ideal but not a deal breaker and I would be happy for this part of the tour to run with minimum of two up to 4 participants.

Then I have been planning to return to north pantanal with the guide I used before, julhino from pantanal trackers. For this section I have been planning this with a friend who came with me to Borneo. We could look at adding one or two more, but we are also currently content to run with just the two of us. Our plan is to split the time:

3 nights pousada alegre

4 nights at carmindo's homestay (camping) beyond Porto Jofre

2 nights at pousada piuval

Cost for this section is (quote us in Brazilian real ):

3 people R$ 5.200

2 people R$7.050

We are debating whether to have a night in porto jofre either in place of a night camping (works out about £40 more) or in place of a night at Piuval.

Then my friend wants to fly to south pantanal for four nights at San Francisco farm which has a rep for ocelot. I also hope to do this bit as well.

Just to add the details of San Francisco farm packages can be found here: http://www.fazendasanfrancisco.tur.br/pacotes/pacote-aventura-no-pantanal-5-dias-e-4-noites-fazenda-san-francisco-roteiro-dia-a-dia/7/

They are customisable and we will be looking at maximising wildlife related activities of course, including night drives.

Note there are several internal flights and obviously international flights to be added to these costs. Hari, you should still have my email address, the hotmail one from our last trip.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining.

All the best

Jo

Edited by kittykat23uk
Added link to swan Francis farm package

would be in terested in pantanal too.

hari

I have updated the detail with the info about San Francisco farm. Please PM if interested.

Unable to pm as i do not have yr detail

Hari

@@hariari, click on @@kittykat23uk's picture to go to her profile.