Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Posting images in the text.

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#301 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

@Earthian I think the step which is missing is to first create a gallery on Safaritalk and upload the images to it which you want to use. Then the steps I outlined should become clear.

Homo sapiens are intelligent enough to destroy the Earth -- but not intelligent enough not to.

#302 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:11 AM

gallery_45142_1255_327632.jpg

Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#303 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

@JohnR

thank you. finally got it. sorry to have been such a pest

Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#304 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

My bad. I should have made it clear that the instructions applied to an image in a Safaritalk gallery.  :rolleyes:

Homo sapiens are intelligent enough to destroy the Earth -- but not intelligent enough not to.

#305 elefromoz

elefromoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

testinggallery_49445_1262_2519859.jpg

#306 wilddog

wilddog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

Sorted @elefromoz

#307 elefromoz

elefromoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks @wilddog, can't figure out how to edit my existing post photos though, appreciate it if you can help with that.

#308 kilopascal

kilopascal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 01:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Practice run

16268295149_5f7d9a7c93_b.jpgUntitled by Kilopascal, on Flickr

#309 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

When you click the ‘share this photo’ icon, copy the BB code, following Flickr’s rules you should then paste the full code into your post so that the title of your photo appears as a link back to the photo on Flickr followed by your Flickr name as a link to your Flickr profile. If you copy the code and just paste it straight in to your post, it will put the title alongside the photo as follows

9462467201_4dbc2c1b28_o.jpgYellow-throated Marten, Kaeng Krachan NP Thailand by inyathi, on Flickr

This really doesn't look good, so what you need to do is after you paste in the code insert the cursor at the start of the title and press enter, the title will then appear underneath the photo as follows

9452930730_8a40894f92_o.jpg

White-handed Gibbons, Khao Yai NP Thailand by inyathi, on Flickr

When naming my photos on Flickr I often for convenience use the ampersand ‘&’ rather than type ‘and’ however this causes a problem when I want to post my photos on ST. When you copy the BB code the ‘&’ is changed to ‘&’ and this is what will then appear in the photo’s title. To correct this you could delete the photo from your post go back to Flickr edit the title changing the ‘&’ to ‘and’ then having entered the new title copy and paste the new BB code into your post. However you don’t need to do this, all you actually need to do is edit the photo title in the original BB code that you’ve pasted in your post, simply delete the ‘amp;’ leaving the ‘&’ or change it to ‘and’ whichever you prefer.  

You can in fact if you want to change the photo title in the BB code entirely so that it’s completely different to the original title that’s on Flickr and the link will still work. It’s unlikely that you’d want to this but you might decide after you’ve copied the code that you want to rephrase the title, perhaps change or add a word, so you can do that without having to go back and change the original title on Flickr and copy a new code.

If you just want the title to appear but not your Flickr name, after pasting the BB code delete the whole of the last part that starts with by [url=https://www.flickr............

Having done that if you don’t want the title to appear either, because you want to type in a new title that isn’t a link to Flickr, then with the cursor select the title, just the text and delete it from the BB code. You can also extract the URL from the code, but then you need to insert the URL as you would if posting a photo from the galleries here on ST, the result is the same but it takes slightly longer.

Remember you can experiment with posting and positioning photos or videos or inserting links, changing font colours, anything you’re not entirely sure how to do without actually having to post anything just keep using Preview Post. If you use Word to write your reports when you copy the URLs (or BB codes) for your photos, videos and links paste them into your Word document and save them there. You can then experiment with posting your photos etc until you’ve got the hang of how to do it, once you’ve worked out how to make photos appear exactly how you want them to, you can then cancel your post knowing that the URLs are all saved for when you need them. Also if everything you need for your post is saved in Word you won’t lose anything if you experience internet problems when you’re trying to post as sometimes happens.  

I hope all of this makes sense

As I am in the midst of my latest report and almost all of the photos are on Flickr I thought I would update this advice that I gave previously. If you want to get rid of the Flickr links rather than edit the BB code as I suggested above there is actually a much simpler way. When you first paste the BB codes into the box they appear in the box just as code but when you click either “More Reply Options” or “Preview” they are then transformed into the actual photos with the titles/links alongside. You can now simply select the titles and delete them just leaving the photos in the box with your text, now if you type in new titles they will not be links. Strictly speaking under Flickr’s terms of use you are not really supposed to do this but I like to do it for aesthetic reasons, I prefer to type in a new a title that isn’t a link or not have one at all if I don’t need to. In any case the photo itself is a link so if anyone clicks on it, it will take them straight to Flickr.

If you want to centre the photos use the Center Text button and centre the codes before you click preview as this is easier than selecting the photos and centring them afterwards.

Also when you copy the BB codes from Flickr you need to pay attention and make sure it is set on large if that’s what you want, quite a few times I’ve clicked preview and discovered that one photo is smaller than all the others. Having to go back and copy it again the right size is an annoying waste of time, for some reason when I copy the codes sometimes it is set on large and sometimes it’s always on medium so it’s an easy mistake to make.

© 2006 - 2015 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.