Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Posting images in the text.

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,778 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

@xelas can you just post the link to the Jpg, without wrapping it in image tags so I can have a look? 

Thanks, Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#222 xelas

xelas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

D71_2782.JPG

This is how it appears in Image box:

https://lh6.googleus...no/DSC_7864.JPG

Also, there is an Autosave option; now that I have lost the original post can I retrieve it from Autosave; if yes how?

Edited by xelas, 12 July 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#223 xelas

xelas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have repeated the process, yet with shorter post; it works now. Is it a problem if a single post has many photos? Is there a restriction on a number of photos that can be in a single post, or maybe in their total size?

The link to the trip report I am talking about: http://safaritalk.ne...osta-rica-2013/

Edited by xelas, 12 July 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#224 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Local time: 01:15 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

can't recall how to post a video. i'm just testing here - 

giant flying squirrel on a tree:

#225 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

@Kitsafari it's purely a matter of preference but if you want to centre the video, you can do this the same way you would with a photo as explained earlier.

I have quite a lot of photos on Flickr and recently when posting photos from there I encountered a couple of annoying issues and noticed that some other Flickr users are having the same problems so I thought I’d offer some tips on solving these issues.

When you click the ‘share this photo’ icon, copy the BB code, following Flickr’s rules you should then paste the full code into your post so that the title of your photo appears as a link back to the photo on Flickr followed by your Flickr name as a link to your Flickr profile. If you copy the code and just paste it straight in to your post, it will put the title alongside the photo as follows

9462467201_4dbc2c1b28_o.jpgYellow-throated Marten, Kaeng Krachan NP Thailand by inyathi, on Flickr

This really doesn't look good, so what you need to do is after you paste in the code insert the cursor at the start of the title and press enter, the title will then appear underneath the photo as follows

9452930730_8a40894f92_o.jpg

White-handed Gibbons, Khao Yai NP Thailand by inyathi, on Flickr

When naming my photos on Flickr I often for convenience use the ampersand ‘&’ rather than type ‘and’ however this causes a problem when I want to post my photos on ST. When you copy the BB code the ‘&’ is changed to ‘&’ and this is what will then appear in the photo’s title. To correct this you could delete the photo from your post go back to Flickr edit the title changing the ‘&’ to ‘and’ then having entered the new title copy and paste the new BB code into your post. However you don’t need to do this, all you actually need to do is edit the photo title in the original BB code that you’ve pasted in your post, simply delete the ‘amp;’ leaving the ‘&’ or change it to ‘and’ whichever you prefer.  

You can in fact if you want to change the photo title in the BB code entirely so that it’s completely different to the original title that’s on Flickr and the link will still work. It’s unlikely that you’d want to this but you might decide after you’ve copied the code that you want to rephrase the title, perhaps change or add a word, so you can do that without having to go back and change the original title on Flickr and copy a new code.

If you just want the title to appear but not your Flickr name, after pasting the BB code delete the whole of the last part that starts with by [url=https://www.flickr............

Having done that if you don’t want the title to appear either, because you want to type in a new title that isn’t a link to Flickr, then with the cursor select the title, just the text and delete it from the BB code. You can also extract the URL from the code, but then you need to insert the URL as you would if posting a photo from the galleries here on ST, the result is the same but it takes slightly longer.

Remember you can experiment with posting and positioning photos or videos or inserting links, changing font colours, anything you’re not entirely sure how to do without actually having to post anything just keep using Preview Post. If you use Word to write your reports when you copy the URLs (or BB codes) for your photos, videos and links paste them into your Word document and save them there. You can then experiment with posting your photos etc until you’ve got the hang of how to do it, once you’ve worked out how to make photos appear exactly how you want them to, you can then cancel your post knowing that the URLs are all saved for when you need them. Also if everything you need for your post is saved in Word you won’t lose anything if you experience internet problems when you’re trying to post as sometimes happens.  

I hope all of this makes sense

Edited by inyathi, 11 August 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#226 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

@inyathi thanks so much for the detailed guide. my photos are housed in google's picasa, would it be the same process? I tried using Flicker but it asked for my yahoo email address and i've forgotten the address and the password. i guess i can easily create a new one, so i'll give it a try later on. 

#227 Bush dog

Bush dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

This a test

[D:\Users\Utilisateur\Desktop\LION8.jpg]

#228 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

@Kitsafari I’ve never used Picasa so I don’t know if it works the same way as Flickr, if you’re offered a BB code then I would assume it does work the same way. If you’re offered a URL as is the case with SafariTalk then it just a case of using insert image as with photos from the ST galleries, the URL may be contained within the code as it is with Flickr. If you’re given a choice of codes and you’re not sure which is the right one I would copy the first one, open a thread on ST, anyone will do and paste the code into the reply box and click ‘More Reply Options’ and see if your photo appears. If it doesn’t then delete that code, go back to Picasa copy the next code paste it in and click Preview Post, if you do get a photo to appear you now know which code you need. Then just click cancel since you only want a preview you don’t want to actually post anything as you’re just experimenting.  

Whenever I go to Flickr I’m always logged in but every so often if my computer crashes for some reason I find that I’m no longer logged in and it takes me quite a long time to work out what my Yahoo address and password are, I often end up having to click the forgotten password button.

One other thing with Flickr while you can upload videos to Flickr I don’t think it’s possible to embed them on ST, at least I wasn’t able to embed my videos from Flickr so I had to upload them to YouTube.

#229 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

@inyathi on videos - it's the same with picasa. I can't upload them directly onto ST. I also have to upload them to YouTube first. 

#230 Bush dog

Bush dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

Test

Attached File  LION8.jpg   155.16KB   0 downloads

#231 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,772 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

@Bush dog ....... Glad it worked!!!

Welcome to safaritalk - love to hear more from you here and look forward to seeing your awesome images, ofcourse.......

http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#232 Bush dog

Bush dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Another test

Attached Files

#233 AfricIan

AfricIan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Add Image

DSC_1943.jpg

Well that was easy enough!

How about add Link

https://lh5.googleus...12/DSC_1943.jpg

That doesn't look so good!

Ian

#234 Bush dog

Bush dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

New test

Attached Files

#235 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

@AfricIan nice shot

When you want to insert a link, copy the URL, then type in a name for your link in this case the title of you photo select it, then click insert link and paste in the URL, the title of your photo will now be the link. If you're linking to a website or an article you can put in the name of the site or the article or if you want just type 'click here'

You can also create links using Word, the same way, click ‘Insert’ on the toolbar select the name you typed for your link click ‘Hyperlink’ and paste in the URL; you can then copy this link and paste it direct into you ST post. So if you're writing a report in Word and you want to include a link in your text you can then just copy the whole lot and paste it into your post and the link should work fine. When you preview your posts it's always worth clicking links to make sure they actually do work before you post, unless it's a link to ST in which case don't click it or you'll lose your post.

#236 AfricIan

AfricIan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the links tips @inyathi, I was just exploring a bit.  The Indri photo is at the same URL as the link & I'm assuming that

1) if the image is inserted as a URL then it's not uploaded to ST so if the source becomes unavailable for any reason the image will no longer be visible.

2) That a link will always display as the link (with whatever naming/titling it's been given as per your notes above) and the reader has to click the link to see the image.

I've got 6 weeks & 3 days (not counting really!) before we head off to Ruaha so I'm going to try & do a retrospective from our Madagascar tour last year.  Don't hold your breath waiting though!

Ian

#237 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

@AfricIan

Thanks for the links tips @inyathi, I was just exploring a bit.  The Indri photo is at the same URL as the link & I'm assuming that

1) if the image is inserted as a URL then it's not uploaded to ST so if the source becomes unavailable for any reason the image will no longer be visible.

Yes, a while back I uploaded some photos to Flickr and posted them in this thread, then just recently I decided to replace the photos on Flickr with larger versions to post in a new thread, in the original thread the photos have been replaced with a message from Flickr saying this image or video is currently available. So if you delete or change photos stored on another site then they will no longer display on ST. If you upload your photos to ST you can't delete them but you can replace them with new images but obviously if you do the originals will no longer be displayed where you've posted them.  

2) That a link will always display as the link (with whatever naming/titling it's been given as per your notes above) and the reader has to click the link to see the image.

Yes if you insert the URL for your photo as a link and don't insert it as an image then the reader would have to click the link to see it. There wouldn't really be much point in doing this but you might perhaps want to insert just a couple of photos and then provide a link to a an album/gallery on another site where people can see the rest of your photos if you didn't want to include all of them in your report. Since any photos you post here have a max width or height of 1000 pix you might want to provide links to individual photos on another site so that people can view them there at a larger size, if they're panoramas for example. In my report on Zakouma NP all the photos I posted were from my gallery here except for the panoramas which I posted from Flickr so that people could have the option of viewing them there at the maximum size if they clicked the accompanying link.

I've got 6 weeks & 3 days (not counting really!) before we head off to Ruaha so I'm going to try & do a retrospective from our Madagascar tour last year.  Don't hold your breath waiting though!

I've not been to Madagascar yet so it would be great to see another Madagascar report if and when you have time, although you'll want to get it out of the way before you find you have to start on your Ruaha report. :)  Ruaha is a fantastic place and Sept/Oct is a great time to be there so I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. 

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.