Game Warden

Posting images in the text.

527 posts in this topic

To include an image within the text is easy. Open the post box and click on the following image from the menu bar:

image.gif

This will open a pop up box - enter the complete URL for the image - this url can be found by the following. Right click on the selected image and go to properties. This will bring up the image properties. The address can be copied from here, (making sure you select the whole address which will end in the image type, eg .gif or .jpg) and pasted into the address bar. Then click okay and you will see entered into the text the URL of the image you wish to include, surrounded by brackets with an html tag - [img ] and [/img]: when you make the post the selected image will be displayed.

Here is my example:

gallery_1_2_59373.jpg

The image has been centred by highlighting the bracketed URL and clicking on the centre centre.gif button.

Please think about the following: how big the image is and whether it is suitable to be posted within safaritalk.net. One must also consider copyright issues and should you wish to include an image which is not yours then please seek permission first from the copyright holder.

Matt

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

tn_gallery_108_446_4696.jpg

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?app=galleryℑ=9950

First, feel free to delete this post after responding. My photos seem to be cropped when I insert them into the report, as shown at the top. I've included the link to my photo in the album, where it can be seen from top to bottom. Can you assist me with this?

Thanks.

Edited by Atravelynn

You are linking to the thumbnail. Expand the thumbnail in the gallery by clicking on it and then right click and copy the image link. Give that a shot here and see if it works. Matt

Posted (edited)

gallery_108_446_4696.jpg

Peacock Take 2

There it is in living color. Now I know I can put in either thumbnails or full photos.

Edited by Atravelynn

Posted (edited)

gallery_11039_521_106424.jpg

practicing here first. please feel free to delete. Thanks

Edited by cris

No that's fine, the only thing I do, (and I have done here in my edit), is start a new paragraph for the text, otherwise it will wrap onto the side of the image, which looks bad. Also, you can consider centering the image. If anyone else want's to practice embedding photos in this topic, please feel free.

Matt

Great! Thanks!

Just going to have a practice here:

IMG_1511.JPG

hope that works

It worked. And there I was about to make a witty remark about being online on Christmas day, and yet here I am replying...

1 person likes this

I'm not getting this! :angry: Do I need to upload the image to ST first and then add to a reply?

My pics are on Picasa and when I right click on properties I can't seem to see a URL.

KathBC, posting an image from a Picasa album I do not have to right click anything:

In Picasa view the image, click on "Link to this photo" which is to the right, select the size of image you want from the menu, click the "Image only (no link)" option and copy the "Embed image" text to the clipboard.

In your ST message, click where you want to put the image and then click on the "Insert image" icon in the editor, paste the clipboard text and click "Insert image".

30D20080908_9154.jpg

Ok JohnR, here goes...

IMG_1141.JPG

Seems from my album I still needed to "link to the website of the image" in order to get the URL link on the right. Not sure why, however these are the little things that stump us newbies! Think I've got it now thanks to you! :)

Seems from my album I still needed to "link to the website of the image" in order to get the URL link on the right.

That may be due to the viewing permissions on your album. The image I used was in an album marked as public.

I've never found the Picasa setup particularly intuitive. It seems odd to have to turn on and then turn off linking to get a direct link to an image.

Glad it's working now.

Posted (edited)

Seems from my album I still needed to "link to the website of the image" in order to get the URL link on the right.

That may be due to the viewing permissions on your album. The image I used was in an album marked as public.

I've never found the Picasa setup particularly intuitive. It seems odd to have to turn on and then turn off linking to get a direct link to an image.

Glad it's working now.

6781260249_e05820eee9_b.jpg

Eventually managed it!

Edited by Rainbirder

When using Flickr don't click Grab the link because that will just give you a link, to get your photo to appear in your text go for Grab the HTML/BBCode then just copy and paste it directly in to your text, you don't need to use insert image. If you do it this way it should appear like this with a link to the photo and to your photostream underneath

2329027356_7d0df2080f.jpg

Principean Children by inyathi, on Flickr

If you want the photo to appear without the links then you just need the section of code that looks like this http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3218/2329027356_7d0df2080f.jpg I hope that makes sense

Talking of images, with the recent ST reshuffle, we now have unlimited space on the new servers, so no excuses not to upload more images :)

Matt

Posted (edited)

Just testing. BW

DSCF2045.JPG

HUZZAH!!

Edited by bushwalker

IMG_9017.JPG

You needed to surround it with the image tags...

1 person likes this

keep trying ;)

IMG_0426.JPG

Now there's no excuse :)

In order to help folks who are posting images for the first time (as I was doing yesterday) I thought I would post clear instructions.

1. These instructions are only for those that use web based sites to post their pictures for friends & family such as Google's Picasa Web Albums or Apple's Mobile Me.

2. The first thing to understand is in Safaritalk, the key symbol to click to post an image is the small square box with a green interior. When you put your cursor over it it will say "insert image". Again, the location of this box is two over to the right from the yellow smiley faces that appear when you push the add reply box or start topic on Safaritalk.

3. Open the image you have on the web, say Picasa web albums and right click the mouse choosing "copy image address". This will put a large image in the text. If you want a smaller size, Picasa Web Albums has sizes on the right, but then you have to pick "link to this photo" on the right of your picture (do not click the mouse) then imbed image only. Copy the link here

4. Go to your post, click on the square add image box, a box with http:/ highlighted will open up. Paste what you copied in 3. above and click add image. Thats it.

5. Important in 4, above. Make sure the http:/ in the box is highlighted otherwise it will appear at the beginning of what you pasted (the http:/ part appearing twice) and the image will not add.