Self driving in Zimbabwe. Where to stay and other resources.

Game Warden

Let's start a Zimbabwe database of camp sites and other properties who cater especially for self drivers.

Please include website URLs and contacts, prices if known, as well as GPS waypoints. If you have actually stayed in any of these places, self driving, please do post feedback on the facilities.

If you are a lodge/camp or other property also catering for self drivers, please feel welcome to post details of your facilities, prices, photos as well as website URL etc.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Based in Bulawayo, working in Brighton but if I can add anything I will. Used to work in the Gwayi - anti-poaching/learner PH/PG so have some knowledge of this area. Currently teaching but will answer questions asap. Go well,

enzo

Hmmm, Lion and Elephant on the road from Beitbridge to Massvingo - nice place, excellent pies

Tod's guesthouse, between Beitbridge and Bulawayo (haven;t stayed in there, but called in for a look on the last trip and it looked nice.

Lomagundi Lakesdie - chalets and camping Kariba

• 5 months later...

I'm hopeful of some more action here lol

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to self drive in Zambia and Botswana...and TZ --suggestions for newbie...yes, no driving at night...but as an American quite accustomed to going everywhere alone in a car...Thanks for suggestions!

@@ElephantDaZE Hi and welcome to Safari Talk. Although I haven't done a self drive in Zimbabwe or any where else for that matter it would be worth you reading this trip report http://safaritalk.net/topic/10272-mana-pools-a-different-sort-of-trip-report/ by @@Whyone? for information.

Sitting in Java, in Jomo Kenyatta, UK bound after 6 weeks in Zim/SA on a family bereavement. Managed to visit the falls, sinematella, masuma and mandavu as well as Bulawayo and the surrounds however the majority of our time was bound up with family business. Back to work soon but if anyone has any specific questions I'll try and get back on them ASAP.

Edited by bundu

Sitting in Java, in Jomo Kenyatta, UK bound after 6 weeks in Zim/SA on a family bereavement. Managed to visit the falls, sinematella, masuma and mandavu as well as Bulawayo and the surrounds however the majority of our time was bound up with family business. Back to work soon but if anyone has any specific questions I'll try and get back on them ASAP.

~ @@bundu

Very sorry to hear of your family's loss.

I hope that the Zimbabwe visit was productive, with many sightings.

Visiting your Web site after spotting the link, I was highly impressed.

Other Safaritalk members and visitors interested in overland, self-drive safaris would surely enjoy it as much as I did.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom.

I'm sorry but I haven't updated that site for a while however there is plenty of info in my Africa 4x4 Cafe FAQ:

http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/htm/africa_4x4_cafe_faq.htm

I try to keep this up to date and will update it soon with all the latest Zim info.

Enzo

• 4 weeks later...

Jecha Point, a couple kilometres from Chirundu on the Zambezi is a fantastic place- campsite(good enough for a friends wedding) and chalets. It is also a fishing lodge. They prepare food for those that self cater, has a freezer in some chalets, rates are very good, and Iona will pickup Mana Pools permits for you if you have done the bookings)no more racing to get to Marangora. Resident bushbucks and ellies often come in or pass near the camp.