See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

How many/type memory cards on a safari

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

I shouldn't have read this thread, I have now changed my mind and decided to buy a iMac notebook. It would be far less expensive to take less photos as at least half are destined for the recycle bin when I get home anyway.

#22 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I could buy extra camera cards but my main camera only takes 1x CF and 1x Cfast card. The cost of a 64Gb card is approximately £50 and £160 respectively.

Alternatively I could just settle for the camera card storage I have which is around 528GB's and delete as I go along if I need more space. Not ideal if I do need extra space.

@Dave Williams  I use a 1D x ii and 7D ii as a backup camera. I decided to purchase enough CF cards (plus 1 Cfast card) for the trip (20,000+ images capacity so I didn't have to delete in camera) rather than take a macbook & external hard drive. I carried the cards in a wallet in the zip up top pocket of my shirts + cards in camera.

Advantages ~ travel lighter, don't worry about using computer whilst away and immerse yourself in your destination, less things that can be stolen.

Disadvantages ~ loose your cards, don't realise there is something wrong with your images until you get home.

All this stuff is risk mitigation, even when you travel with a computer/backup device you have to take enough cards incase there is an issue with them.

Geoff.

#23 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

@Geoff You are probably right but the cost of buying the extra cards to cover the 500gb's of extra storage that I think I might need would be half as much as buying the MacBook and for the majority of the time they would be idle. 

Advantages= Computer for general mobile use, ability to use external hard drive for storage, fast download and the ability to continually re-use the Cfast card especially if I want to take video, ability to check I'm doing the right thing. 

Danger= Spending too much time using it instead of paying attention to my other half when away on a trip !

Self discipline a must!

The good news is it weighs 1.5kgs and lots of airlines allow a laptop in addition to your cabin luggage. You are right about the danger of getting it stolen though, fortunately as we are self drive on this trip it can come out in the car each day.

• pault likes this

#24 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,212 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

@Dave Williams

I can see the lure of iMac (having two desktops at home) but would never ever contemplate to buy an iMac notebook for only to transfer photos from camera to external harddisk. Way way too expensive gadget for such job. And you are not seriously thinking of tampering with the photos while on vacations?! Even Zvezda would kick me in the knee if I would attempt such sacrilege. Save your money, go the way of a cheap(er) Windows 10 Asus Transformer or whatever they name them.
Remember, redundacy is the key. Make not one but two backups. The USB drives/sticks are way cheaper then CF cards, and about the same weight. Keep one copy of photos on external hd, the other copy on USB stick. In such a scenario, two cards each camera should suffice. In backup mode, of course.
Transferring files each day is easy, the longest is the connection phase, after pushing the Copy button grab your drinks and join Claire for the sunset and sundowner.
I am lucky, my cameras using SD cards, so I don't need to format when they are full. But they are copied every two days or more often! And always keptin different locations. One can always buy new gear but newer can replicate that great shot.

#25 Swazicar

Swazicar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:04 AM

@xelas @Dave Williams 

Does no one make something similar to this that works with CF cards?: https://www.kingston...s_readers/mlwg3

I use an earlier version of this (the G2) to back up my SD cards:  plug an SD card and a thumb drive into the device, connect wirelessly from a phone or tablet, instruct the device to copy the content of the card to the thumb drive, done. (Okay, it takes a while, but done, nonetheless.)

My alternative to the above (in case the G2 were to die):  Install an app called "USB Media Reader" on an Android phone or tablet, plug a hub into the phone/tablet (the hub having the connections one needs, in my case, an SD card reader and a thumb drive), instruct the app to copy the card content to the thumb drive, done.  There are capacity restrictions with the app, but it's workable for small cards.

I haven't used CF cards in years, but maybe a quick inter web search would yield low-cost back-up options.

-tom a.

#26 Swazicar

Swazicar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

I haven't used CF cards in years, but maybe a quick inter web search would yield low-cost back-up options.

-tom a.

Found this one from a few years ago, but you get the idea:  https://petapixel.co...al-hard-drives/

Just a thought.

-tom a.

#27 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

Danger= Spending too much time using it instead of paying attention to my other half when away on a trip !

Yes, I can imagine that is a high risk scenario.

Geoff.

#28 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts
  • Local time: 03:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

@Dave Williams I ahve to agree with @xelas. Your reasons for buying a very expensive Mac basically for storage are flimsy.... you wife may fall for the "compatibility"  line (although I doubt it) but the rest of us are seeing a typical "start asking for help selcting a cheap compact camera for ''snaps', and end up ordering a new high-end DSLR and $1200 lens with a feeling that this is absolutely the cheapest solution longer-term"  sort of logic going on here.

And you really should not be sat there proicessing files on holiday - wondering about Adobe CC is just looking for trouble (yes you can - your license covers two computeres unless you  wangled a student price or something).

Explain why this would not work - although I have to say my solution was to buy a Zanbook, which is rougly equivalent to yours, so I have no expeirence. Is there a damger here?

Buy a cheap little out-of-date but sporty notebook. Disposable basically.

Buy 6 cheap but not too nasty 128GB cards.

Pass your photos directly from the fast card in your camera to the slow cards inserted in your card slot. Repeat to another card as back-up (or use space on your notebook if there is any space of note).

Install Faststone or similar to view the files and histogram (Canon softwatre or Lightroom are miles too slow when wife is waiting). You can only really say focus is in the right area and make histogram-based judgement,, but you are saying you are really expecting time to do more than that AND take 500GB of pictures? The ice is getting thinner and thinner!

This is one of my most hypocritical posts ever, but it's like when an alcoholic says you really shouldn't drink to solve your problems  you know - it's kind of a good hypocrisy, right?

Edited by pault, 11 January 2017 - 08:30 AM.

• xelas likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#29 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

@pault @Swazicar @xelas @Geoff   I am trying to curb an obsession...honestly!  I really appreciate the suggestions but the deed is done, I have bought a 2015 13'' MacBook with retina display which had 10% off the list price in a cashback scheme that they hope you will forget to claim. Only 128gb of storage so an external hard drive is a must. I have amalgamated data on my existing ones to clear one specifically to take on this trip but I'll buy another soon as a back up too.

I chose an older Mac as it was cheaper and has an SD slot too which has gone in the latest model equivalent.

All the alternatives suggested are good ones but at the end of the day having two systems of Windows and Mac doesn't work, just like having Nikon and Canon at the same time which I also tried and failed with once upon a time. Transferring files without being able to see them is a bit frightening so one I want to avoid and transferring from card to card to storage device is a bit confusing. Recently I have had to transfer from Cfast to CF to SD using two camera bodies which usually has me confused as to what I have transferred and which card needs clearing as this operation is set up before heading off for sundowners and dinner. Yes, I think I probably have a slight drink problem too !!!

Claire can also use the laptop instead of her iPad when she needs to do something slightly more complex than the iPad easily allows.

Having everything in the Apple family is an advantage...they are not daft ! Windows machines do clog up and slow down very quickly whereas I expect this machine to work perfectly for years.

I do occasionally take trips with a birding friend where I won't be accused of dereliction of duty if I sneak off to do some pixel peeping but I will avoid doing this when away with Claire.That's one promise I have made to myself I hope I can stick to.

There, I have cleansed my conscience. Forum's are a bit like confessional boxes. Instead of curtains you have a screen, instead of a priest you have like minded sympathisers attracted by having had similar dilemmas. Maybe it's more like Alcoholics Anonymous, fortunately I have never been to either.

Yet.

• pault and xelas like this

#30 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

@Dave Williams   Well congrats on your purchase. Can i now suggest a nice 27" cinema display to go with it when using it at home.  :)

Geoff.

#31 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Just picked up one of these very cheaply @Geoff  :o  :o  :o

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-38565913

• Geoff likes this

#32 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,212 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

It looks like you are all set up and prepared, Dave! And I am ready and prepared to read all about your upcoming journey, including the tales of copying and backuping.

Edited by xelas, 11 January 2017 - 11:57 AM.

• Dave Williams likes this

#33 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

*sigh   My intervention was too late again. I like the  one about how any Windows device was going to slow down....even though you were only using it for storage. The sudden appearance of Clair's needs and the insight of the definite usefulness of such a device on birding trips are re-engineering classics too.

Enjoy your purchase.  :)

#34 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:01 AM

take spare cards  as it is possible  to get a message on the screen that the card cannot be used

clean very gently with paper tissue , micro amounts of dust can matter

but it might to easier to use a new card

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#35 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

take spare cards  as it is possible  to get a message on the screen that the card cannot be used

clean very gently with paper tissue , micro amounts of dust can matter

but it might to easier to use a new card

You can only clean the contacts on an SD card, which is why they are also more vulnerable to damage. I would always take spare cards anyway as you never know how much space you need in a single day.

• xelas likes this

#36 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

@COSMIC RHINO A soft brush that is kept protected from dust and grease specifically for tasks like this and dusting off your lens might be better - unless there is dust actually stuck to the card contacts. Tiny bits of paper might just replace any dust - or become the dust if there wasn;t any dust in the first place.. I don't think it is likely to cause damage (touch wood, I have never had an issue so far with a good quality SD card - cheap ones are a differnt matter) but why take the risk? It's easy to pick up such a brush and it takes no space.

Edited by pault, 13 January 2017 - 02:06 AM.

#37 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

Contact cleaner spray.

But the cleaning alcohol that comes in sensor cleaning kits etc. can also help here.

• pault likes this
Ek oefen skelm.

#38 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

I have only ever used SAN DISC cards 

the Lewa  camp manager advised gently touch with paper tissue, that was a temporary fix , the  problem came back ,so I replaced the card without a problem happening again

I was able to view and print images from the problem card

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 13 January 2017 - 04:50 AM.

• pault likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#39 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

@COSMIC RHINO A soft brush that is kept protected from dust and grease specifically for tasks like this and dusting off your lens might be better - unless there is dust actually stuck to the card contacts. Tiny bits of paper might just replace any dust - or become the dust if there wasn;t any dust in the first place.. I don't think it is likely to cause damage (touch wood, I have never had an issue so far with a good quality SD card - cheap ones are a differnt matter) but why take the risk? It's easy to pick up such a brush and it takes no space.

I have a Sandisk Extreme card that has somehow been damaged, probably when pushing it in to the SD slot on the back of my iMac ( silly place to put the slot as you are stood over the screen and pushing the card towards you. A kind of card Hari Kiri I guess.) The plastic guide alongside one of the contacts peeled back but remained attached to the card. I pulled it off with a pair of tweezers and the card is stall useable although it's only used in my point and shoot now.

#40 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

Contact cleaner spray.

But the cleaning alcohol that comes in sensor cleaning kits etc. can also help here.

I bought some Eclipse swabs and cleaning fluid but bottled out of sensor cleaning with it. I decided to use some to clean the computer screen and was staggered what a mess of smears it left behind . Surprised it actually cleans the sensor without adverse effect.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.