Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Julian

How many/type memory cards on a safari

53 posts in this topic

@@pomkiwi I'm heading to Namibia.

Take a look at this chart , it shows what effect fps and size of RAW file have on how long the buffer can last before it fills up.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-dslr-buffer-capacity-comparison

It is just as critical as to how long a burst can continue as well as how many shots you take . If you are shooting RAW and Jpeg it must take longer to process both than one or the other alone.

I use relatively small cards 8 GB and 16GB then mark them on the blank line as to where they were used

@@pomkiwi & @@Dave Williams

Yes, I am aware of (slight) delay in burst rate. But me (or better, my wife) is coming from the old school of film days, when one has a roll of 36 frames and has to end with 38 excellent photos ;) . Schnellfeier mode is just not in her blood system.

Plus, she prefer to see the results in her iPad, and if downloading RAW, the limited storage on this device would be full after two days :( .

As we are still not much into BIF, and action scenes like big cats hunting are few and far apart, we will stay with the RAW+JPEG scenario for a while. That will change in a year or two, when next GAS will hit me.

Not asked, but we will follow in Dave's footsteps so in 2017, a couple of interesting TR from Namibia is to be expected :D .

1 person likes this