See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

How many/type memory cards on a safari

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Julian

Julian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

With two cameras being used on our planned 15 day safari how many memory cards would it be sensible to take with us? ( on our previous safaris we were using 35mm film cameras so no previous experience of using digital on a safari)

Also any ideas on optimum size/ speed/ type of memory cards would be best ?

One camera will have a tele photo zoom lens, the other will have wide angle or 28 to 90. So likely to take far more photos with the telephoto zoom lens.

We are likely to take some video footage, but not a lot, and are only likely to use continuous-shoot mode occasionally.

Edited by Julian, 22 February 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#2 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

One can never have too many memory cards. The "problem" with digital vs film is that it is all too easy to press the shutter release. Go for the fastest you an afford. When they were very expensive I used to use small capacity cards and change them often, but now the larger cards are not prohibitively expensive, I just buy large ones. But given our recent experience of nearly running out of cards, I would say buy what you think you need and then add at least one!

#3 Tango

Tango

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

I tend to prefer 32Gb memory cards but have a few 64Gb ones. On our 2-week safari coming up, we will have three Canon cameras -- 7D Mk II (with the 100-400L lens), 60D (with the 24-105L lens), and the wife uses an SX10is.  Total cards in the cameras include 1 CF and 3 SD; and the memory card case will have 2 additional CF cards and 6 SD cards.  I also carry a 1Tb HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA2 for daily backup.  Their v35 firmware update appears to have fixed the exFAT issue with respect to SDXC cards.

I just picked up two 32Gb SanDisk Extreme 120Mb/sec CF cards and two 32Gb SanDisk Extreme 60Mb/sec SDHC cards for use with the 7DMkII camera specifically for continuous-shooting.  I need throughput given the 7DMkII's 10 fps speed.

The 7DMkII and 60D will be recording BOTH jpeg and RAW files, so I factor that into my memory card plan. The wife will concentrate on taking movies with the SX10, something we didn't do enough of last time.

#4 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local time: 07:56 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

The 7DMkII and 60D will be recording BOTH jpeg and RAW files, so I factor that into my memory card plan. The wife will concentrate on taking movies with the SX10, something we didn't do enough of last time.

@Tango why do you bother recording both RAW & .jpeg? It seems like a waste of card space to me.

• Bush dog likes this
Geoff.

#5 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

@Julian  Difficult question to answer. It all depends on how keen you are with your photography. 

I could suggest 200 images a day x 15 days = 3000 images. But I could be way off the mark.

To get a feel for how many images each card will hold, put each card into the cameras and format them and see how many shots displayed on the top screen. But as Tdgraves stated , it's better to have more than you need than not enough.

Geoff.

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

1 you can get guides who inteprate someone not taking photos as a sign to move, so that can account for a whole lot of pics

2 I take a small plastic food storage cintainer to ensure that I do not loose my SD cards

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#7 Tango

Tango

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

@Tango why do you bother recording both RAW & .jpeg? It seems like a waste of card space to me.

On our last 2-week trip to Tanzania, we took in excess of 5,000 pictures. When we get back, I immediately download all the pictures to my network storage, but I can't get to working on the RAW file conversions for a while. With simultaneous .jpeg files, the wife can immediately start looking at and working with pictures for her scrapbook. This setup works for us.

Additionally, if something barfs with one of the two memory cards in the 7DMkII, I still have a picture.

I would plan on 400-500 pictures a day, depending on how much continuous shooting you do. Also factor in the max size (Mb) of each picture your camera(s) can take. I always max out the size of the pictures per each camera.

Edited by Tango, 23 February 2015 - 02:27 PM.

• xelas likes this

#8 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

I dislike taking my memory cards out of my camera, as I feel that might cause connection problems in the long term. So I just have just two memory cards, but take my laptop and 2-terrabyte external hard drive.

Get the best memory cards that you can afford, and if you shoot in continuous, you need the fastest cards your camera can handle.

Ek oefen skelm.

#9 Julian

Julian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far - lots of useful/ helpful info - all suggestions/ comments welcome.

#10 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Enough Gigabyte to last for expected # of shots (300 - 400 per day, depending on the destination).

I do shot RAW+JPEG so more cards are needed. I do not want anymore to format any card while travelling ... have made this mistake once, and have learned the hard way.

In addition to "how many cards" it is also important topic "how many back-ups". Personally I have 4 back ups / copies: original RAW, original JPEG, copy on external HD, copy on USB key.  

#11 DrToonz

DrToonz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 01:56 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Enough Gigabyte to last for expected # of shots (300 - 400 per day, depending on the destination).

I do shot RAW+JPEG so more cards are needed. I do not want anymore to format any card while travelling ... have made this mistake once, and have learned the hard way.

In addition to "how many cards" it is also important topic "how many back-ups". Personally I have 4 back ups / copies: original RAW, original JPEG, copy on external HD, copy on USB key.  

At this time I have no  provision for backups.

#12 Fredweinman

Fredweinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

We received great advice on a different discussion thread last year. Advice was to Bring two cards for each camp, one for pictures and one as a back up. Found It much easier to manage the pictures by camp

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:00 AM

when making your estimate  do not assume that you will be able to download your pics to your laptop

computer connection speeds can be very slow in the field

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#14 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:19 AM

when making your estimate  do not assume that you will be able to download your pics to your laptop

computer connection speeds can be very slow in the field

@COSMIC RHINO   Huh?   If I place a card in the computer's card reader slot or an external reader connected via USB it will not take any longer to download the images whether my computer is in my lounge room or a tent in the middle of nowhere. You don't need wifi to download your images.

Geoff.

#15 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

At Lewa  conservancy they can be very slow, and sometimes work only on the seat outside the office 

some other places where I have  been the talk is of slow connection

#16 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Are you down-loading your images through WiFi? If so, it would always be slow.

Personally, I hate removing my memory cards from my camera.

I down-load by cable from camera to laptop, and back-up to external hard drive immediately.

Ek oefen skelm.

#17 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Seems we all have our foibles Peter but I have never heard of anyone before who is reluctant to remove a memory card, not that it's a criticism, your choice of course. I would have thought there would be more chance of damage to the cable socket protection cover if you use it regularly as it's flimsy rubber on my Canon bodies. The other danger area is the card reader where the CF cards have a habit of bending the pins which would render that useless. SD cards are more flimsy but the latest Cfast cards are best in every way but are eye wateringly expensive and currently only used in the  Canon 1DX2. 

I am currently debating how much storage space I need too and it's difficult to imagine visiting a new country with huge photographic potential. The Norwegian took around 27,000 on his trip and that would require almost 1TB of storage just for the RAW files. I can understand how he manages it as I can use 10gb in an hour or so given the right subject matter. I think that I'm going to have to make some serious deleting decisions but as I don't have a laptop it's down to looking at the back of the camera and that often gives a misleading impression of what is good and what isn't. 

I could buy a laptop but again, as an Apple user, MacBooks are very expensive and as it would have limited holiday only use I wonder if it's worth buying one. Decisions, decisions.

#18 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

I have bought a nonexpensive Asus notepad or whatever is the name of those tablets with attached keyboard. It is only marginally heavier than a tablet, has two USB ports, and is use both as an etertainement device and a copy machine to a separate 1TB hard disk.
My cameras are using SD cards only, and in past 10 years I have removed them xyz times, as my phobia is related to flimsy cable attachments on body. None of cards ever was showing any kind of problems.
When the card is full I remove it, lock it and copy it to external hard drive, then store it in a separate ziplock bag.
Number of cards needed is calculated based on historical data i.e. an average of 400 per day, RAW. With more birds recently, 500 is what we will probably need next trip.

#19 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

I have been contemplating further and decided that a Windows laptop is probably the best if not the perfect answer to my problems.

I could buy extra camera cards but my main camera only takes 1x CF and 1x Cfast card. The cost of a 64Gb card is approximately £50 and £160 respectively.

I could buy a compatible iMac Notebook 13" with 8gb memory and 128gb hard drive for £1250 less 10% off special cash back on offer from a local store at the moment ( cheaper than from Apple direct) but with so little hard drive storage I would still need an external hard drive although I do need to buy one anyway.

Alternatively I could by a Windows HP laptop with 8GB memory and 1TB of storage for £399.

The problem is that I would have to transfer the files back to my iMac desktop via the same camera card route which is a bit tedious but doable.

The advantage of a laptop is the ability to regularly check you are getting your images right, and if not have another go. The disadvantage is more luggage ! Also as I use Adobe CC I'm not sure I can download two different systems for my monthly subscription. Mind you I could use Canon's DPP to view the files. 

Alternatively I could just settle for the camera card storage I have which is around 528GB's and delete as I go along if I need more space. Not ideal if I do need extra space.

The final solution is to buy cheaper SD cards for storage and use a back up camera with an SD slot to transfer from CF to SD. I can't see that as being the best way forward at all.

Edited by Dave Williams, 10 January 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#20 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

My issues come from CF cards and bent pins, but also I have a fear of losing them, forgetting to down-load them and then formatting them or otherwise buggering it up.

I have never had any issues with the cable, and the doors seem more robust than it would appear at first.

• Dave Williams likes this
Ek oefen skelm.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.