See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Acacia Pride in MNC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

for those who are interested in the Acacia Pride in the Mara North Conservancy:

the pride is doing extremely fine, with currently 2 dominant males, 7 adult females and 22 (!) different cubs, 19 of which I saw during my recent trip (no subadults, though)

(I am not following any facebook accounts, twitter messages or camp newsletters, so this information might for some be "old news")

I am, however, surprised that the Mara Predator Project Databasa does not hold any information about the Acacia Pride.

http://livingwithlio...mara/allprides/

How old is their data?

#2 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Iceman (@Ice), we were in MNC during the last week of January and spent some quality time with the Cheli Pride.  What area of the MNC does the Acacia Pride reside?

#3 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:08 AM

We too spent time in MNC and saw the Cheii pride. all looked well  with many cubs about - what camp were you in @ice; may have seen  you along the way!

@PT123

Sorry we missed you by a week! I would love to see some St'ers along the way....we need a hat or something! (hint hint, Matt)

• PT123 and offshorebirder like this

#4 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

I stayed at Kicheche Mara North and the Acacia Pride stayed very close to our camp...maybe what your guides called "Cheli Pride" is what pur guides called "Acacia Pride"

#5 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

I think the Cheli pride was the one our guide said had 11 cubs with 4 different mothers, but all around the same age, 6 or 6.5 months, right @graceland ? I will have to consult my notes. So many lions and photos, I'm trying to wade through it all!

Edited to add: yes, my notes indicate the Cheli-Peacock pride is named after the two owners of Elephant Pepper camp which is near where the pride hangs out. Our guide said the pride is about 40 members but it splits up into smaller groups and we saw the 11 cubs I mentioned above.

Edited by SafariChick, 22 February 2015 - 07:44 AM.

• graceland likes this

#6 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

@SafariChick, from my "jetlagged" memory I  believe your notes are correct. I also remember someone mentioning they were called Acacia by other guides, but named after the owners of EP.

:) And those eleven cubs were precious.

Cat overload..

#7 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

@graceland @SafariChick ahhhh am i glad that you both took notes. I was just thinking I didn't know the names of all the prides we saw! but now that @SafariChick mentioned cheli-peacock, it jogged my memory. it was the second morning in Mara North that we saw the group of cubs, including the 3 2-week babies, right? 

• SafariChick likes this

#8 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

@graceland @SafariChick ahhhh am i glad that you both took notes. I was just thinking I didn't know the names of all the prides we saw! but now that @SafariChick mentioned cheli-peacock, it jogged my memory. it was the second morning in Mara North that we saw the group of cubs, including the 3 2-week babies, right? 

@Kitsafari

I hope you remember the paper attached to my phone case remained EMPTY!!! I only took email addresses  :D

No notes from my end; thank goodness @SafariChick could "multi-task" - type, take photos,  ask  pertinent questions, all while enjoying her "Africa Massage" .

I admit to being the lazy traveler. Always have :rolleyes:

#9 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

From the link @ice posted, they do mention the Cheli & Peacock Pride having originated from the Acacia pride, from which they split. See here for more info:

http://livingwithlio...-peacock-pride/

If I don't take notes, I can't remember a thing! I like to remember the trip better via the notes!  @Kitsafari the three tiny cubs we saw with their Mom and Dad were Weds morning so that was morning 2 at the MNC, yes, at Hyena's Lugga.  I had written down they were 3-4 days old but later we realized that James must have said, or meant, 3-4 weeks old! I think they were also from the Cheli & Peacock pride, but hadn't yet introduced the cubs to the rest of the pride?

• graceland and Kitsafari like this

#10 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

@SafariChick. @graceland @Kitsafari

Stop teasing, all of you, and get started with your report already!
  • Double Dare, SafariChick and Kitsafari like this

#11 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

From the link @ice posted, they do mention the Cheli & Peacock Pride having originated from the Acacia pride, from which they split. See here for more info:

If I don't take notes, I can't remember a thing! I like to remember the trip better via the notes!  @Kitsafari the three tiny cubs we saw with their Mom and Dad were Weds morning so that was morning 2 at the MNC, yes, at Hyena's Lugga.  I had written down they were 3-4 days old but later we realized that James must have said, or meant, 3-4 weeks old! I think they were also from the Cheli & Peacock pride, but hadn't yet introduced the cubs to the rest of the pride?

the problem is (from what I gather) pretty much all of their data is from 2012 (at least the data I checked)

#12 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

the problem is (from what I gather) pretty much all of their data is from 2012 (at least the data I checked)

Yes it appears the data is three years old! 2012, how many more lion cubs have been born since then, or prides moving - adding - subtracting. I'd hestiate to go by their data at this date.

Good thing @SafariChick can bring them up to date  :D  She was fast on that iphone note app!

I just look at my pics, the dates and remember. Quite frankly I am one who forgets names anyway.. but never a face! And there were some faces that week!

@michael-ibk

Don't know how easy it is for three women to co-author a report. Someone needs to start it....LOL,, maybe our journalist, @Kitsafari? She has a way with the words.

No pressure though Kit...I know you and @SafariChick have many photos ahead to go through.

We've only been home a few days!!! I am still in a daze :wacko:

But at least I have MY passport safely put away!

• SafariChick, michael-ibk and Kitsafari like this

#13 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,127 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

@SafariChick. Please consult your notes. My wife wants to know if you saw the Kicheche Pride and particularly her favorite lion Kinna.... the lion who wouldn't leave home. They are in Lemek but I am sure they come into MNC as well. (And in case anyone is wondering Kicheche has the Acacia pride and not the Kicheche pride because they moved the camp a few years ago).  

Not mentioning the reports.... there are reports PLURAL here.... @ice is a bigger tease than the ladies.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#14 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

@paultb unfortunately I don't see any mention of the Kicheche Pride or Kinna in my notes.  As for our report, which I know you were expressly not mentioning, it is at least being discussed behind the scenes at this point so stay tuned!

• michael-ibk and TonyQ like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.