jeremie

New quarterly reports of WCS Nigeria

6 posts in this topic

Here are the last quarterly reports of WCS Nigeria.

WCS Took over management of Yankari.

Reports available from Okwangwo section of Cross River National Park, Yankari, and Mbe.

http://www.wcsnigeria.org

1 person likes this

So rare that we hear about the wildlife of Nigeria, Thanks you for sharing @@jeremie .

Are the activities of Boko Haram having any impact on the local tourism industry, the wildlife and the Game Rangers work in Yankari or is Yankari to distant from the current problems to have any impact.

BTW, talking of Yankari, some of you may have missed my interview with Dr. Ulf Ottosson, PhD - Yankari Game Reserve, Nigeria, which can be found here.

Posted (edited)

So rare that we hear about the wildlife of Nigeria, Thanks you for sharing @@jeremie .

Are the activities of Boko Haram having any impact on the local tourism industry, the wildlife and the Game Rangers work in Yankari or is Yankari to distant from the current problems to have any impact.

I have no idea, but cordoning to the maps I have seen on the web, it seems there have been some few terrorist attacks in and around Bauchi State, but these territories seem to be strongly controlled but the government.

The main problem for the administration of Yankari Game Reserve, is that the Bauchi State do not participate in its financement. As a consequence, it seems WCS suffers a lot to deploy game rangers as they would like to, buy anti-poaching equipments, develop infrastructure.

They should rather look for international funds, I am not sure Bauchi State is really committed to participate in conservation. Ulf Ottosson did not really have some kind words about them.

About Nigeria fauna:

• African Parks is looking for concluding agreements for the management of the Nigerian protected areas:

Okwangwo section of Cross River National Park where WCS works actively as it can be seen on their website

Gashamka Gumti, the biggest national park of Nigeria. I am not sure whether there is still lions there, but the parks is a stronghold for the elliotti chimpanzee sub-specie. It is linked with Faro National Park where African Wildlife Foundation works too.

• Panthera finished the west african lion survey, concluding lions are still present in Nigeria, but only in small numbers in Yankari (less than 20 lions) and Kainji lake western sections (les than 20 lions), two areas distant from any other Lion Conservation Unit. Falgore was empty of any lion. There is an urgent need to protect the last wild areas of the sudan Savannah of Nigeria.

https://www.panthera.org/sites/default/files/Henscheletal_2010_LionstatusupdatesfromfiverangecountriesinWestandCentralAfrica_CatNews.pdf

http://www.currentconservation.org/new/sites/default/files/archive-issues/CC_8.4.pdf#page=12

Edited by jeremie
1 person likes this

Here is the last Yankari Quarterly report in Nigeria, a provincial park managed by WCS:

www.wcsnigeria.org

I also let you the 2015 anual report from the foundation activities in Nigeria. WCS is currently involved in conservation at Cross River National Park (Oban and Okwango sections), Afi Mountain, Mbe Mountain and Yankari.

WCS continues to suffer from poor funding for their activities. They are limited to deploy rangers on site in order to carry on anti-poaching activities and control ilegal grazing inside Yankari. They need new firearms to protect themselves from attacks from herders and poachers, road maintenance. They need to extend patrols in the parks.

In South-Eastern Nigeria, WCS protects some of the last cross-river gorillas and Nigerian Chimpanzees.

In Yankari, WCS protects the largest elephant herds of the country and one of the two last sites where to find lions in Nigeria.

Yankari Quarterly Report January-March 2016.pdf

AMWS Annual Report 2015.pdf

Mbe Mountains Annual Report 2015.pdf

Oban Annual Report 2015.pdf

Okwangwo Annual Report 2015.pdf

Yankari Annual Report 2015.pdf