gagan

safari dishes

32 posts in this topic

~ Over the past few years, the most memorable safari dishes have consistently been soups.

The chefs at lodges and camps seem to have a flair for nourishing soups. That's been the case both in Kenya and in South Africa.

It's surprising how frequently potato-leek soup has cropped up. It's been the most frequently served soup in all of my safaris.

At Leopard Hills I was so enchanted by Chef Hendry Sono's soups that I requested an off-the-menu gazpacho.

It was wholly unlike any gazpacho I'd ever had, but was flavorful with refined seasoning.

At the Mara Sopa lodge, both times I've stayed there the Scotch broth was so impressive that I went back for a second bowl.

In Leopard Hills, the dining room staff under Sam and the kitchen know that I have a standing order for two bowls of soup at both lunch and dinner.

Typing about safari soups increases my appetite to return to Kenya with @@Anthony Gitau, as I'm confident that fine soups will be served.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

@TomKellie

Definitely agree with the amazing soups on safari and the fresh bread to accompany it.

I have been amazed at the variety of the wonderful food I have enjoyed and of course the huge portions. Unless gorilla/chimp trekking everyday it is hard to walk away from a 3 week trip without excess kilos. Add on the wine and other indulgent drinks like Amarula and sundowners and you will definitely roll onto the airplane at the end.

1 person likes this

Chewing on some home cured biltong whilst on the Primitive Trail in iMfolozi with @@Bugs, @@Peter Connan and @@Soukous. That was the best safari dish I've had :)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Double post...

Edited by Peter Connan

Chewing on some home cured biltong whilst on the Primitive Trail in iMfolozi with @@Bugs, @@Peter Connan and @@Soukous. That was the best safari dish I've had :)

Your imprompto Spaghetti Bolognaise came close @@Game Warden!

I remember with longing the pan-fried Impala fillets with Roosterbrood (a family speciality) we used to enjoy as a child, and my dad's liver-and-kineys-in-beer pot for brunch.

1 person likes this

@@Peter Connan I would be most content cooking up hearty healthy meals for small Safaritalk groups when we open our small rustic tented camp somewhere ;)

2 people like this

Your imprompto Spaghetti Bolognaise came close @@Game Warden!

~ @@Peter Connan

WHAT ?!?!?!

@@Game Warden prepares a mean-yet-delectable Spaghetti Bolognaise?

Well, well, well..

That's one of my favorite dishes.

I'm very glad to know this.

Whenever @@Game Warden succumbs to “Zorilla Fever” and joins me in a remote area for night stalking of a Zorilla, it seems clear what the entree will be.

Never fear, I'm a dishwasher with 5+ decades of experience in the most limited of conditions.

Tom K.

1 person likes this