From Kruger to the Kgalagadi with Augrabies Falls - A Self Drive September 2014

penolva

We had an amazing trip last year self driving in Kruger NP and the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park with a couple of days at Augrabies Falls before we flew home.

I have finished my book of the trip which I will put here in case anyone is interested. It is rather large as I included most of the photographs from the incredible cheetah sighting we had and also quite a few of the most beautiful black maned Kalahari lion.

Some of the night sky photographs are side on which will look strange viewed on a screen but OK when we have the actual book.

I have posted a few photographs for anyone who can not look at the book but might like to see a snapshot of our trip.

I am not trying to sell the book its just that to make it available to view blurb have you put it in the for sale section on their web site.

http://blur.by/1Ga5ik6

post-17162-0-03216700-1421438987_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-96180700-1421439038_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-16409800-1421439143_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-66788500-1421439214_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-75715500-1421439294_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-38143900-1421439334_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-93453300-1421439367_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-66494300-1421439452_thumb.jpg

post-17162-0-34483500-1421439604_thumb.jpg

Wow fantastic stuff @@penolva! You've had an amazing trip I believe, and I've only seen the images on this page... ;)

@@penolva. I just read the book. It's fantastic! What a wonderful trip you had. Loved the black maned lion and the cheetahs. This has given me ideas for a future safari although I realize we'll have to plan well ahead. Thanks so much for sharing.

What a wonderful read! Thanks for sharing the true essence of parts of Southern Africa we all love with its colors, magical light and amazing wildlife. I loved the wonderful night sky shots, the shots of your magnificent lions and the amazing cheetah family on a kill. It was a real treat to read and enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

Like your last book, a great and captivating read! Thank you for sharing this. I love your pano double-spread shots especially, I always tend to stick too many pics in those photo books. And your nightsky photos are very beautiful. A Sable in Kruger? I thought they were almost gone there, so a lucky sighting for sure for you. About Shine ... isn´t he a Duiker?

Blyde River Canyon almost looks unreal, so very beautiful. Also surprised with Augrabie Falls NP, never even heard of it.

And the Kgalagadi ... like you said, just magical, what a beautiful, beautiful place. Your patience was rewarded, the black-maned lion and especially the Cheetahs at the end. Just wow. I really need to get there.

How far in advance do you have to do bookings for camps?

Thanks again, had a very nice hour enjoying reading your book!

Like your last book, a great and captivating read! Thank you for sharing this. I love your pano double-spread shots especially, I always tend to stick too many pics in those photo books. And your nightsky photos are very beautiful. A Sable in Kruger? I thought they were almost gone there, so a lucky sighting for sure for you. About Shine ... isn´t he a Duiker?

Blyde River Canyon almost looks unreal, so very beautiful. Also surprised with Augrabie Falls NP, never even heard of it.

And the Kgalagadi ... like you said, just magical, what a beautiful, beautiful place. Your patience was rewarded, the black-maned lion and especially the Cheetahs at the end. Just wow. I really need to get there.

How far in advance do you have to do bookings for camps?

Thanks again, had a very nice hour enjoying reading your book!

Thanks for the comments. :wub: They called her a bushbuck but you are correct, she is a duiker!! too late to change the book now. She was lovely though, 22 years old they say!

If you don't mind going in Jan/Feb its not so bad. We could spend all of next week in Gharagab if we could get there! Otherwise 11 months in advance for the wilderness camps in Kgalagadi, people even queue up outside the office in Pretoria on the day bookings open. If you don't mind Kalahari tented camp, TR or Mata Mata then there is more chance, and camping is not so bad of course. Same for those special ones I mentioned in Kruger. However there are always cancellations.

How far in advance do you have to do bookings for camps!

I think aug/sept are peak season, as well as RSA school holidays and you need to book as soon as the booking period opens, as the camps are small (especially the more popular wilderness camps). However, we are going next week and only booked at the end of October. Wilderness camps were tight, but we still got a combination that was acceptable

Beautiful pics and book,@@penolva

I made one book; I am about five behind. You gave me much inspiration. Thank you!

How far in advance do you have to do bookings for camps!

I think aug/sept are peak season, as well as RSA school holidays and you need to book as soon as the booking period opens, as the camps are small (especially the more popular wilderness camps). However, we are going next week and only booked at the end of October. Wilderness camps were tight, but we still got a combination that was acceptable

Next week, lucky you, have a great time and looking forward to hearing about the trip.

A great trip - when are you going back?

Sorry, didn't answer your question, going back to SA in five weeks time and arrive at KTP for 8 nights on 13 March all wilderness camps again. March is almost fully booked, even the larger camps. Pen

Thank you for sharing , wonderful text and photos. Brings back memories from my trip to KTP and Mabuasehube in 2012. Its truely a magic place.

Cheers

Beautiful photos and a very elegant presentation; I also think the double-page spreads work really well, especially those that show animals along the water (and the one with the lone kudu amongst the wildebeest). The night sky photos are also striking. Your Blyde River Canyon photos bring back memories, too. The brown hyena must have been a very special sighting.

Having the actual book must make for an excellent way to relive your safari memories.

@@penolva

What a superb book. The 2 page speads work really well. It sounds like a great trip. The cheetah sighting was amazing - and I really like the brown hyena!

@penolva: Absolutely amazing! The double page photos ... a joy to watch. And all the cats ... well, even if none we will meet next April, we can always buy your book!

Photographing night sky in Africa: are you willing to share the knowledge, both during taking the photos and how they were post processed?

Such a comprehensive trip! Your night sky photography is taking off. I was struck at how Namibia-like some of the Kgalagadi looked. You stated Urikaruus is the place to stay. Why is that?

The variety of landscapes and animals could fill a book! Wait, it just did. Thanks for sharing your labor of love with us. If you count up your days on safari, I bet you spent several times that number winnowing photos, writing and creating the memory book.

Were the 2-page shots panoramas?

I thought Shine was a duiker too. But Shine doesn't care.

Wonderful furry bundles. The contrast of those cute little furballs with the rather messy prey on which they were dining makes for a great series. That was lucky.

Why did you pick Sept?

@@Atravelynn thanks for the comments! It is rather a big book but I couldn't help myself :) It didn't really take that long as I keep a diary which helps with the books. As you say it took a long time to sort the photographs from 4000 to a managable 1000.

The two page shots are just landscapes taken on the D610 mainly, not panoramas.

We picked September because in 2013 August was windy in South Africa, but, as you can see we had every kind of weather in September except snow so it doesn't really matter. We will be there again in March and its supposed to be really hot. Never been to Africa in the green season before so really looking forward to it. Pen

Great book @penlova. I cheated a bit and only read about the places I was interesteed in visiting but it was a really nice read. The presentation is lovely and I love all the landscapes you included.

@@Atravelynn thanks for the comments! It is rather a big book but I couldn't help myself :) It didn't really take that long as I keep a diary which helps with the books. As you say it took a long time to sort the photographs from 4000 to a managable 1000.

The two page shots are just landscapes taken on the D610 mainly, not panoramas.

We picked September because in 2013 August was windy in South Africa, but, as you can see we had every kind of weather in September except snow so it doesn't really matter. We will be there again in March and its supposed to be really hot. Never been to Africa in the green season before so really looking forward to it. Pen

We've had this went in Sept and going in March conversation before or else I am have deja vu. I cheat like @@pault and loved the parts I Iooked at--especially the cheetahs.

Deja vu you are right! But who cares, today someone booked KTP for January because I noticed dates were available unusually. So glad. If I can help great love Africa so much

Great book @penlova. I cheated a bit and only read about the places I was interesteed in visiting but it was a really nice read. The presentation is lovely and I love all the landscapes you included.[/quote

Happy you enjoyed the part you were intended in, it's a bit of a tome

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for being thick... does one need to purchase the book or can one simply view it online?

Glad to see you've been to the Golden Temple!

Sorry for being thick... does one need to purchase the book or can one simply view it online?

Glad to see you've been to the Golden Temple!

You can view it online @@Super LEEDS, no need to purchase.

Cheers,

Michel

Ah, got it! I didn't have the option on my phone - probably Flash-related - so will check it out on a PC later.

Thanks, @@MR1980