See all Safaritalk Special Offers

COSMIC RHINO

sun screen use it in date and keep it cool

11 posts in this topic

I was hearing a feature on the radio recently from a doctor , sun screen is only effective if it is used before the expiry date and kept cool. The problem is some people use an old container and/or keep it in the car all the time where it gets hot.

here is an online reference

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/ask-the-experts/does-sunscreen-become-ineffective-with-age

this is true. At one time I could not figure out why my sunscreen was not working. After I looked at the expiration date stamped into the end to the tube I figured it out....it had expired quite some time prior.

Ah sunscreen.....it is a known fact that sunscreen is preventing us from receiving the needed Vitamin D from the sun. Vitamin D is a natural cancer fighter. Best to get some limited sun exposure and then cover up.

@@SSF556...we need to do both. I live in the desert and am outside much of the time. And, I was vitamin D deficient. So, now I goop up and take vitamin D!

1 person likes this

@@SSF556...we need to do both. I live in the desert and am outside much of the time. And, I was vitamin D deficient. So, now I goop up and take vitamin D!

@@marg, me too! Living on the water I get constant sun reflections and I need Vit. D...but use tons of sunscreen. I have bottles strewn throughout the house for guests and up until last year there was a great sunscreen WIPE that was so easy to pack for travel.

Alas no more. Don't know why they discontinued it; was a lifesaver. Now I use one that looks like a deodorant stick; warm it up with hands, and swipe it on!

@@marg, me too! Living on the water I get constant sun reflections and I need Vit. D...but use tons of sunscreen. I have bottles strewn throughout the house for guests and up until last year there was a great sunscreen WIPE that was so easy to pack for travel.

Alas no more. Don't know why they discontinued it; was a lifesaver. Now I use one that looks like a deodorant stick; warm it up with hands, and swipe it on!

Sunscreen wipes - never seen those, they sound rather convenient, but do they make them in high enough factors that actually work?

Most sunscreens sold today contain harmful chemicals (like oxybenzone) or microparticles. Many do not protect against both UVA and UVB rays and end up preventing sunburn but not skin cancer. It is difficult as an individual to research the right product.

Luckily the Environmental Working Group has a "Guide to Safe Sunscreens" website we can use:

It has a searchable index of safe sunscreens, a list of characteristics to avoid ( http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/what-not-to-bring-on-vacation/ ), tips on sun safety, etc.

I use "Kiss My Face" SPF30 sunscreen - it lasts well, is fairly sweat-proof, is all natural and does not contain oxybenzone, microparticles, useless additives like Vitamin A, etc.

While the guide seems to be focused on products available in the USA, I expect many of them are also available worldwide. And the EWG recommendations can form the basis for people in other countries evaluating the sunscreen products available in their home country.

~ “...with beard comes freedom!”

With bitcoin accepted.

Is an all-natural pith helmet tossed in a first-time user gift?

Tom K.

I'll ask members please not reply to obvious spam posts but use the report facility.

Thanks, Matt

The Los Angeles Times had an article about sunscreens  today...the major problem is that people do not apply enough or often enough.

1 person likes this

As one recently treated for basal cell carcinoma, I'm only here to remind that it's integral to apply whatever you use EVERYWHERE.  My BCC was on the strip of skin between the nostrils, not a place that one obviously remembers to cover, as well as the spot between nose and lips and tops of ears.  Just make sure you apply everywhere, not just cheeks/bridge of nose/chin/forehead.  My dermatologist recommended CeraVe "invisible" zinc oxide with SPF 50. It is available in lotion or stick (good if you're flying carry on only and have limited room for liquids!  (I put "invisible" in quotes only because it's not so invisible, but so far very effective)

1 person likes this