See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safaritalk Issue 3. January 2015

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts
  • Local time: 01:01 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

gallery_1_1165_11426.jpg

Issue 3 January 2015:

• Conservation in Focus. @Calvin Cottar puts foward opinion and solutions for Kenya's conservation problems.
  • Safari guide Kane Motswana shares images of a honeybadger fighting off a lion pride.
  • Feature article: "Inspiring Africa's next conservationists." I interview Sue Snyman, Programme director of Children in the Wilderness and Clive Walker and John Hanks, Patron and Chair of the Board respectively of the Lapalala Wilderness School.
  • Members' gallery - "Show us your babies."
  • Notes from the field. @Rod Cassidy updates us to latest happenings from the Central African Republic.  
  • Building an overlander. @Bugs talks us through the build up of his new expedition vehicle.
  • Self-drive Zimbabwe Style. @Whyone? shares his experiences of self-driving to Mana Pools.
  • Latest sightings.
  • Trekking through Uganda. @pault talks gorillas and chimpanzees.
  • Postcards from 1960s Uganda. @twaffle shares some of her father's images and her own childhood experiences in postcard format.
  • Interview: James Sengeny Safari Guide.
  • Best of Birding.
  • Masai Mara Balloon Safari. @Riz Jiwa talks about his experiences as a balloon pilot in Kenya.
  • Book review: Into the River of Life. Ian Player's biography.

And a couple of other bits and bobs.

View the Digimag online here.

Download as a PDF file for iPad and Tablet viewing for free here: 

Attached File  Safaritalkissue3mag1optimized.pdf   23.07MB   2808 downloads

Downloading for Ipad/tablet - instructions: assuming you download it by clicking on the PDF link above, using the Safari web browser, when it finishes downloading the PDF will be opened in Safari as a web page. You can save it to the iBooks library by tapping just above the title to make a toolbar appear. Select Open in iBooks, or Open in... for any other app if you prefer. (Note: thanks to @JohnR for the instructions).

If anyone does have problems with downloading for Ipad/tablet please do say below and tag @JohnR as well.

You need a reader which will display even+odd pages together whereas the default is odd+even: GoodReader can do the correct layout. You can tell it which page to start the 2-up displays on. You can download the app from the iTunes app store. For further information visit:  www.goodreader.com/goodreader.html.

I have found a PDF reader for Android which allows the PDF to be opened in a magazine mode. It comes in Lite and paid versions and I've only tried the latter.

www.unidocs.com / m.unidocs.com

It has to be set to "Double Page - Cover" mode in the Page Layout section of the settings. They also do an iPad and a desktop version

Thanks to @JohnR for that info.

And of course, many thanks to everyone who contributed, helped with ideas, gave feedback, @Safaridude for the spell checking and so on. 

Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

I have reloaded the downloadable PDF file at a higher resolution and converted images to sRGB. Please do let me know how it displays and compares to the online version.

This topic replaces the earlier one which I've now deleted.

Thanks, Matt.

• Brendan Harding likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • Local time: 08:01 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

Very well done, Matt! Seems that I got back to ST on a very good day because this the first thing I've clicked on for ages :). Congratulations to all the contributors - I was engrossed in the magazine all evening and have read it cover-to-cover - each article is a compelling read and the photos are outstanding.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#4 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

A very informative and thoroughly enjoyable issue 3. Congratulations Matt and thank you for investing so much time and work in it. I think it's a brilliant issue, having read the well written articles giving very useful tips and info (like Paul's trip).

Calvin Cottar's piece is so out of the box that it is such an interesting and refreshing read on a different approach to wildlife management. It led me to his self-introductory piece in ST, and then to the interview piece which  should be read by everyone interested in resolving wildlife management concerns. 

Edited by Kitsafari, 02 January 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#5 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

@Game Warden

A great achievement!  

Lots of interesting, out-of-the-ordinary pieces in this one.  Well done! -- just from your laptop in your kitchen!

#6 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far and apologies for the teething troubles last night with the iPad version. I think all is now resolved. Again issue 3 was a labour of love, but in the end the credit must go to those who contributed. I sat in the kitchen putting it all together...

Now to start planning issue 4.

#7 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

@Game Warden

A great achievement!  

Lots of interesting, out-of-the-ordinary pieces in this one.  Well done! -- just from your laptop in your kitchen!

Are so many hyphens required @Safaridude? ;)

#8 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

@Tdgraves

Yes, that's one-of-my New Year's resolutions.

• twaffle likes this

#9 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

ha-ha-ha-ha

ROFL

:D

• Safaridude likes this

#10 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 02:01 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

Great work, again you created a super magazine. You should publish this in print.

Especially enjoyed the interview with Calvin Cottar (though it is quite depressing) and the piece on Rod Cassidy. A wildlife hero, I really hope things pick up for his lodge again. And thank you, @pault and @Whyone? , your Uganda/Mana contributions are incredibly helpful ( and fun to read.).

• optig likes this

#11 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

I JUST now finished the entire magazine and I was so proud of everyone's contributions and your efforts, dear @GameWarden. Well done :D

So, now my new year resolutions are to retrofit my SUV cruiser courtesy of Bugs; self drive to Mana (thanks Whyone?) and when heat stroke strikes (as I will not bathe in the river!)  call James to guide  me through Kenya, visit the Cottars-- while my cruiser sits at the bottom of the Zambezi. 

I can then plan my dream trek through Uganda; and end up in Chad, as I believe it is time for me to venture further into Africa.

And I did love the pic of Rod Cassidy with his pangolin. Might be quite THE adventure.

I will try to send postcards as beautifully written as Twaffles. What an amazing childhood she has shared with all of us.

This is such a work of love from everyone involved. I am so happy to be a Sarfartalk advocate.

And I too use way to many dashes......and dots. I should not have skipped out on English class ;)   But, I did have fun. :lol:

Of course, all the pics contributed are just superb.

What a great gift of time and effort for all of us. Thank you!

• twaffle likes this

#12 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts
  • Local time: 08:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:30 AM

Great effort, Matt, and an excellent result. Really interesting stuff, and lots of good writing - although that Paul Taylor fellow could do with an editor!
  • Geoff likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#13 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Really impressed with the magazine although I haven't finished reading yet as we've been battling bushfires here. I really enjoyed Bugs' article on fitting out his 4x4, what fun to do something like that. I'm really looking forward to finish all the other articles and will 'edit' Paul Taylor's as I read and add hyphens to anything written by the 'dude! :D
  • pault and Tdgraves like this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#14 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

If you do use Facebook or Twitter, please share this topic's link so that more people read the magazine. Thanks. Matt.

#15 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

Well done Matt.

I haven't read it all yet but it is now on my Kindle so I can enjoy it as I travel.

well done also to the contributors - a terrific range fo articles.

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#16 Calvin

Calvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

I agree within everyone's comments on the magazine Matt...well done and keep it up!
  • Bugs likes this
Owner Cottars 1920s Camp, Masai Mara
Telephone: +254 (0) 733773377

#17 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to leave feedback. Much appreciated. I have ideas how to polish the layout and formatting for the next issue: it's still a learning curve for me. And of course, content rules and the level of knowledge and experience here on ST blows my mind. 

If you've read the mag, loved it, hated it, have suggestions, don't be afraid to say so. I can't do it without your input.

Matt.

#18 jbwye

jbwye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Category 1:Writer

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Absolutely brilliant - and what a change from the original website I joined not all that long ago.

Thank you very much, Matt, for all your hard work, to make this a magazine worth reading and savouring.

May I add one teeny comment? Perhaps the length of the articles needs to be addressed / edited down slightly?

Now - how to get this magazine onto my kindle......

Edited by jbwye, 05 January 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#19 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

Absolutely brilliant - and what a change from the original website I joined not all that long ago.

Thank you very much, Matt, for all your hard work, to make this a magazine worth reading and savouring.

May I add one teeny comment? Perhaps the length of the articles needs to be addressed / edited down slightly?

Now - how to get this magazine onto my kindle......

Matt is so thorough that he probably condensed the articles by 50% already.

I've read only the Cottar article.  A very thought provoking and realistic discussion of the challenges facing Kenya's wildlife. No sugar coating of the problems.  Thanks for that great start!

• Bugs likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#20 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for this latest edition of the magazine - a great job Matt. It will provide a lot of winter reading.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.