Birding in Himalayas - Uttarakhand trip report

xnegvx

With a few days of leaves pending at my disposal, I had to plan something before the year end. I ended up going to Uttarakhand for a birding trip. After a very fulfilling birding trip, I have just started writing my trip report. Part 1 of the report is up at :

http://wildwildindia.com/uttarakhand-birding-prologue/

This is justa prologue and will be updating the rest of the report soon. I managed to see about 100 species of himalayan birds (most were lifers to me), and managed to get some decent photographs too.

MG_6843-2.jpg

Cheers

Looking forward to this! :)

Me too, always looking for a different type of safari!!

What a lovely bird to start.

@@michael-ibk @@graceland : I look forwrd to writing and sharing the trip report as well. :-) & I hope you guys enjoy that too

Continuing the report, the second part is up on the blog. This is about my first taste of birding in mighty Himalayas. The report can be found at:

http://wildwildindia.com/uttarakhand-birding-a-day-of-lifers/

MG_6222.jpg

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Thanks @@Atravelynn. Rest of the report is on the blog. Hope you would enjoy that too :-)

Unfortunately, due to various things at work and personal front, I had been unable to update my blog and this trip report. I have taken care of that now. Continuing with where I had left off, I have posted the second part of trip report talking about Kakragad birding.

You can read it here:

http://wildwildindia.com/uttarakhand-birding-kakragad/

MG_81171.jpg

More to come soon..

Cheers,

Kartik

• 2 months later...
michael-ibk

Very enjoyable, thank you. Those Monals do look spectacular indeed!

@@xnegvx

Your writing is very enjoyable - especially the section about the desk-ninja!

Your photos are superb - in this section and in the previous ones. The monal is very beautiful but so are so many of the others. Thank you!

graceland

@@xnegvx, very much enjoying your blog as well. As TonyQ, I find your writing style very humorous and enlightening with several bird species I've never known.

Monals were lovely!

You did quite well for a desk-ninja :D

Not quite sure a treadmill is adequate prep for a hike.

Maybe an elliptical next time!

I just found a hill to walk up and down...and up again, and a third... for some hikes I am planning around here. No porters I'm afraid :huh:

michael-ibk

for some hikes I am planning around here. No porters I'm afraid :huh:

@@graceland

Just give the word, board and lodging, and I´m there for you. ;)

kittykat23uk

That monal is stunning!

Thanks guys, I am glad you liked the report so far.

@@kittykat23uk @@michael-ibk : Yes, I would agree whole-heartedly with you on Monals being stunning. I plan on doing one trip for seeing and photographing only Monals.

@@TonyQ @@graceland : Thank you. I think that I need to change that desk ninja thing soon. Now that I am moving back to India after a decade, I hope to bring that change soon.

One last installment of the trip is remaining. Hopefully this week I would be able to finish it.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Moving from one country to another is not a small task apparently. Finally I got around to finishing this trip report.

Here is the final part of the Uttarakhand series. A fair warning though, it's image heavy. I suggest a bit of patience and ample amount of your favourite beverage.

MG_8946.jpg

Cheers,

michael-ibk

Great Pictures again. Love the Striated Laughingthrush, the Rufous-Bellied Woodpecker and the Black-Lored Tit especially.