Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inyathi

Zakouma National Park (Chad)

8 posts in this topic

I just came across this wonderful French film from 1994 “Une Journée dans la Parc de Zakouma au Tchad” A Day in Zakouma National Park in Chad, although there would have been many more elephants when this was filmed than is the case now Zakouma seems otherwise not to have changed that much. Although it is interesting to see a hippo as these animals are now I believe entirely absent from the park but I presume were still there when this film was shot.

Rather than write a whole lot more on this very special place I will direct anyone in search of further information to the trip report Zakouma One Week in Wildest Africa that @@Paolo and I wrote and also to the African Parks website.

3 people like this

@@inyathi

You are brightening up my Saturday with those videos, first the Manovo-Gounda-St. Floris one and now this!

I am not 100% sure, but this might likely be the documentary transmitted on the Italian TV in the mid 1990s that first drew my attention to Zakouma.

Yes, the hippo is interesting. I find the footage of the big flock of pelicans in the wake of the elephant herd in the marsh very compelling.

I agree that for the most part Zakouma did not seem that different back then from what we experienced.

Another thread on Zakouma on Safaritalk: http://safaritalk.net/topic/9765-zakouma-national-park/?hl=%2Bzakouma+%2Bnational+%2Bpark

Fascinating to see all the variants of the birds and animals in East Africa. The bird life at the swamp is fabulous. Excellent film and thanks for posting.

There is a last documentary realized in this period on Waza National Park in Cameroon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auxp1sGjhwI

Waza was a realy nice park few years ago, I am wondering how is Boko Haram afecting the park. There are some few elefants there between Lake Chad, the park and the Nigerian side.

@@jeremie

Ir might be better if you start a new, separate thread on Waza...

Posted (edited)

A nice article by the Financial Times's travel writer Sophy Roberts on the new "Camp Nomade" in Zakouma, that is also a creature of the work by @@Michael Lorentz with African Parks:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c5a7e0de-a556-11e4-ad35-00144feab7de.html?ftcamp=crm%2Femail%2Ffollow%2Fauthor%2FQ0ItMDAwMjgwMQ%3D%3D-QXV0aG9ycw%3D%3D%2Fproduct#slide7

I, @@inyathi and @@Anita will be spending 10 nights there in April.

P.S.: those who have read my and @@inyathi's trip report of our last April safari in Zakouma, might remember that -whilst we had an incredible time in such a special place - we were not exactly full of praises for the food we had. Well, it seems that things might have changed for the better in that respect!

Edited by Paolo
4 people like this

Back to Zakouma again, lucky you. Will you be visiting the same areas of the park or exploring new ones?

Back to Zakouma again, lucky you. Will you be visiting the same areas of the park or exploring new ones?

@@Soukous

For the most part the same areas (where the huge concentrations are normally in April), but for longer!

1 person likes this