See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Zakouma National Park (Chad)

Chad African Parks Sahel elephants tiang Lelwel hartebeest Kordofan giraffe crowned cranes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

I just came across this wonderful French film from 1994 “Une Journée dans la Parc de Zakouma  au Tchad”  A Day in Zakouma National Park in Chad, although there would have been many more elephants when this was filmed than is the case now Zakouma seems otherwise not to have changed that much. Although it is interesting to see a hippo as these animals are now I believe entirely absent from the park but I presume were still there when this film was shot.

Rather than write a whole lot more on this very special place I will direct anyone in search of further information to the trip report Zakouma One Week in Wildest Africa that @Paolo and I wrote and also to the African Parks website.

• Paolo, pault and Bush dog like this

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

@inyathi

You are brightening up my Saturday with those videos, first the Manovo-Gounda-St. Floris one and now this!

I am not 100% sure, but this might likely be the documentary transmitted on the Italian TV in the mid 1990s that first drew my attention to Zakouma.

Yes, the hippo is interesting. I find the footage of the big flock of pelicans in the wake of the elephant herd in the marsh very compelling.

I agree that for the most part Zakouma did not seem that different back then from what we experienced.

Another thread on Zakouma on Safaritalk: http://safaritalk.ne...+national +park

#3 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

Fascinating to see all the variants of the birds and animals in East Africa. The bird life at the swamp is fabulous. Excellent film and thanks for posting.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#4 jeremie

jeremie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

There is a last documentary realized in this period on Waza National Park in Cameroon:

Waza was a realy nice park few years ago, I am wondering how is Boko Haram afecting the park. There are some few elefants there between Lake Chad, the park and the Nigerian side.

#5 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

@jeremie

Ir might be better if you start a new, separate thread on Waza...

#6 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

A nice article by the Financial Times's travel writer Sophy Roberts on the new "Camp Nomade" in Zakouma, that is also a creature of the work by @Michael Lorentz with African Parks:

http://www.ft.com/cm.../product#slide7

I, @inyathi and @Anita will be spending 10 nights there in April.

P.S.: those who have read my and @inyathi's trip report of our last April safari in Zakouma, might remember that -whilst we had an incredible time in such a special place - we were not exactly full of praises for the food we had. Well, it seems that things might have changed for the better in that respect!

Edited by Paolo, 31 January 2015 - 05:12 PM.

• Geoff, Zim Girl, Kitsafari and 1 other like this

#7 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,028 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Back to Zakouma again, lucky you. Will you be visiting the same areas of the park or exploring new ones?

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#8 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Back to Zakouma again, lucky you. Will you be visiting the same areas of the park or exploring new ones?

@Soukous

For the most part the same areas (where the huge concentrations are normally in April), but for longer!
  • Geoff likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chad, African Parks, Sahel, elephants, tiang, Lelwel hartebeest, Kordofan giraffe, crowned cranes

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.