Fire, Wind, Dust and Wonder.

Whyone?

Thanks for this report, thoroughly enjoyed it, like every year. Oh, and see you next year in Mana Pools, I'm there in the same week. :)

@@michael-ibk Wait, you said this on Jan. 2 - don't you mean see you later THIS year? ;)

Edited by SafariChick

Hi all, apologies for the 'radio silence' - I have been away over the last few days.

@@michael-ibk - exciting!

What are your trip plans? Where will you be staying in Mana. Certainly a get-together must be arranged, though if you are visiting us, the earlier in the week, the more likely we'll be able to offer cold beer!!!!

@@twaffle - really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the report.

@@graceland - you are scarily observant, I am sure that you are alone in correlating the lateness of my TR with preparation of the Safaritalk article...you are absolutely correct in your deduction. Your not a Detective in 'real life' are you?! ;) Still not sure about our family holiday this year - Fla is always a possibility, made much more attractive by @@offshorebirder's post showing the dolphins breach fishing! However I fancy a change and there are still parts of Costa Rica I would love to explore further.

@@PCNW - Many thanks for your kind comments. I do hope I have helped you sell the idea of a walking safari to your husband? How about an unguided walking safari....or would that be that a 'bridge too far'?! Seriously though, whilst not for everyone I know, there is something very special about viewing animals on foot - I feel it is a much more visceral experience.

@@SafariChick - I am with you on this, I pulled someone up on the same issue a day or two ago and got called a pedant...which I took as a complement!

Edited by Whyone?

Hi all, apologies for the 'radio silence' - I have been away over the last few days.

@@michael-ibk - exciting!

What are your trip plans? Where will you be staying in Mana. Certainly a get-together must be arranged, though if you are visiting us, the earlier in the week, the more likely we'll be able to offer cold beer!!!!

@@twaffle - really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the report.

@@graceland - you are scarily observant, I am sure that you are alone in correlating the lateness of my TR with preparation of the Safaritalk article...you are absolutely correct in your deduction. Your not a Detective in 'real life' are you?! ;) Still not sure about our family holiday this year - Fla is always a possibility, made much more attractive by @@offshorebirder's post showing the dolphins breach fishing! However I fancy a change and there are still parts of Costa Rica I would love to explore further.

@@PCNW - Many thanks for your kind comments. I do hope I have helped you sell the idea of a walking safari to your husband? How about an unguided walking safari....or would that be that a 'bridge too far'?! Seriously though, whilst not for everyone I know, there is something very special about viewing animals on foot - I feel it is a much more visceral experience.

@@SafariChick - I am with you on this, I pulled someone up on the same issue a day or two ago and got called a pedant...which I took as a complement!

Yes, @@Whyone? I am "scarily"-- not necessarily observant though; however, I like your boys adventures in Mana so much and look forward to the yearly adventure, so was wondering when November came and went-- WHAT HAPPENED :wacko:

And you had a great excuse. The Safaritalk Magazine issue was terrific.

I also scare myself at times though, ;) (and don't get me started on how I scare DH), so I doubt anyone would want me along on a Mana self drive.

Not for the faint of heart.

I need my fearless guide with me.

@Whyone thanks for another great TR. It was so nice to be taken back to Mana for a few days. No Safari's for me in 2015 :-( so I'll have to content myself with other people's TRs and the local wildlife.

...... I doubt anyone would want me along on a Mana self drive.....

Oh I don't know @@graceland. Your freedom of spirit and love of Africa and it's wildlife is very obvious for your writing here. You were concerned about walking in the bush, but 'got it' immediately. I'm sure that you are a natural born self-driver!

I have taken a couple of friends from the UK with us to Mana and been thrilled to introduce them to both the African bush and the joys and challenges of self-driving. At least you are half way there having travelled extensively in Africa. I am pleased to report that each of my friends must have seen the attraction, as both remain friends and visited on at least one more occasion....and both are keen to join future trips.

@Id1 - I am pleased you enjoyed the report and that it brought back some good memories of your time in Mana.

:)

Edited by Whyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi@@Whyone? I really enjoy reading about your adventures in Mana and also enjoyed the how-to get -there article in Safari Magazine you were kind enough to write up. I'm planning a self-drive trip to Hwange and Mana, for sure, and maybe another two parks, for August of 2016. Just got the Bradt guide in today and I'm excited to get planning another adventure. So I'm reading your reports with great interest as I'm learning about the geography and logistics involved in such a trip. The trip to Zim will be our first to this country, having done five previous self-drive trips. So we will be Newbies to Zim, but not totally ignorant.

I'm totally amazed that you are allowed to just leave your car and go in pursuit of hunting dogs! Wow! Don't think I know enough about the bush to do this safely without a guide.

Do you know if self-drivers can join guided walks in Mana and Hwange?

How many km of game drive tracks would you say are open to self-drivers in Mana?

Anyway, I know I will have many more questions in the weeks to come. Thanks for an entertaining read!

Excellent @@Whyone? I was greatly enjoying your trip report ... until I saw Charlie!! I then got a flashback from Sept '14 of one of our our juicy burgers, just done, being snatched by him in triumph leaving us feeling quite silly for being outsmarted by a baboon. It took us 2 days to learn how not to lose anything to him.

You had some brilliant sightings - the photo of one of your mates so close to the hyena is so awesome! Perhaps we should do like you and visit Mana a bit later in the year, though for work reasons this is practically impossible for us. Too many people - self drivers and guided people in peak of the dry season.

@@KaliCA - yes you can join guided walks in Mana Pools - with the park rangers - but from what I hear they are a hit and miss sometimes. I heard of a story where the ranger ran away at the sight of the first elephant! But others have of course had positive experiences too.

I don't think any of the private guides offer any service to self-drivers - I had researched that before and came back empty.

I don't think any walks are available in Hwange.

Using Tracks4Africa you can easily see the amount of driving tracks available for self-drivers - it's not much as the park is meant for walking.

Hi @@KaliCA - thank-you for your kind comments; I hope my trip report / self-drive article has help you in your planning a little.

I have just been reading your draft Zim itinerary - I am very envious, that sounds like an epic trip!

@@cheetah80 (hi Alison!) advice on Mana is, as ever, very good. I too suspect it will be difficult to arrive on a 'self-drive' basis and find a private guide who is willing to walk with you. It may be possible to arrange something through the Parks office, and whilst the guiding is unlikely to be of a very high standard, maybe doing this on day 1 will give you the necessary confidence to strike out on your own for the rest of your visit?

Whilst I certainly wouldn't recommend following my lead and charging off through the bush after the first hunting predators you see, walking at Mana is a joy, and really what the park is all about. You are visiting during the dry season, so the flood plain areas should be pretty bare and open, making walking unguided a relatively safe endeavour as long as you use common sense and keep your wits about you.

Alison - thanks for taking the time to read through my TR and adding your kind comments. I too have heard reports that Mana is becoming a victim of its own success during the peak weeks of the dry season, which is a great shame. Again, the option to walk will always take you away from the crowds and give you plenty of opportunities to spend time alone with the wildlife. The downside to visiting late in the dry season (last couple of weeks of October / early November) as we do is the heat, which is unrelenting and brutal, and the inevitable winds which herald the changing of the seasons.

@@Whyone?

Thank you for a very enjoyable report - especially running after the dogs - brilliant!

• 5 months later...
Tom Kellie

~ @@Whyone?

Really liked the Zambian wildfire night shot.

It's the first that I've heard of wildfires like that.

An impressive and hauntingly beautiful photograph!

Tom K.

Thank you @@Tom Kellie....pretty much an annual occurrence in October.

@@Whyone? A great trip report loved every bit off it and now thanks to you I hope to be in Mana for the end of October myself. Thanks to you because seeing your images on a photography forum a few years ago is what got me inspired in the first place. (also got me onto ST as well) It's taken a bit longer than I would of liked as it costs a lot more with a guide and for a first timer on safari walking on my own would be a step to far I think. So if the beer is on ice and Charlie leaves it alone I may well be around to see you in person.

Thanks again, Andy.

Hi @@Big Andy

I remember those conversations on Talkphotography very well and I am delighted to hear that you are going to be visiting Mana yourself.....at the very best time of year as well (but it will be 'warm'!)

When is you trip and who is arranging the trip / guiding for you?

I hope it'll be 18th to 27th of October with Doug Macdonald then maybe a couple of nights at Chikwenya Lodge to unwind and do a little fishing but that bit will be very much budget depending. Doug is trying to contact his other guests to arrange things. I may be that we will use his camps but have another guide during the walks which would be fine by me. Still waiting for Doug to reply which will not be easy as he's out in the bush now so not as easy to keep in contact.

If he can't work things then I'll try to contact Stretch to see if he can help out around the same/similar dates.

You wont go far wrong with either Doug or Stretch.

I shall be at Mana 17th - 24th October inclusive, so let me know when you get your trip firmed up, it would be great to meet and share a beer!

• 6 years later...

great report, @Whyone?

I was reading it with a big interest! 

Thank you very much for sharing! 

3 hours ago, ElenaH said:

great report, @Whyone?

I was reading it with a big interest! 

Thank you very much for sharing! 

Hi @ElenaH

I'm pleased that you found the report interesting.

I hope your trip comes together and I very much look forward to hearing all about it :)

• 2 years later...
Peter Connan

@Whyone?, just read this again (thanks to @ElenaH for bringing it back up).

9 years later and I still haven't got my act together... Eish. Even worse, it's looking less and less likely that I ever will with every passing year (and every fuel price increase).

Edited by Peter Connan