See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

How bad are the tse-tse and sandflies in Mahale?

mahale tse-tse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Moran

Christopher Moran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hi everyone.  I'm just trying to get a sense as to how severe the tse-tse flies, and sandflies, are in Mahale NP.  After reading through several trip reports, the tse-tse found on the beach do not seem to be as bad as say, parts of Katavi.  Plus there has been no reports of sleeping sickness contracted at Mahale, from what I can find out.

Also, given that the accommodation at Mahale is on the beach, how distracting are the sandflies?  My wife and I stayed on Mafia Island during our last trip, and the sandfly bites ruined the stay for my wife - she is allergic to anti-histamines, so she couldn't control the itchiness.  She had an awful 3 days.

#2 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Local time: 02:53 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

Tsetses and sand flies were pretty much non-existent in August.  There are gnats and things in the forest, but they did not bother.

#3 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 12:53 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Non-existent in Sept as well.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mahale, tse-tse

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.