Game Warden

Safari properties with NO single supplement.

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Breaking down the reserves would help, think we need to be specific that the no single supplement is with Mala Mala Main Camp only. How about this...

Mala Mala Main Camp - 1 single room with no single supplement http://malamala.com/malacamp.htm

Edited by KathBC

well I am not sure about Phinda

I check the and beyond site for 2015 the place is priced at zar 6000 per day 1 Jan to 31 Dec

therte was no mention of anty period without a single supplement

We (Kaingu Lodge, Kafue NP Zambia) hardly ever charge single supplement on international bookings, I cannot recall doing it over the last two years. For local bookings on long weekends we sometimes do if we could have sold the room several times over. On our rates sheet we say:

Our policy is to avoid single supplements. However on occasion we may have to apply them at 20%. This is discretionary and will be discussed at the time of booking"
Explanation:
Basically this is to protect ourselves, if you are travelling on your own you are never going to be charged it. If you are a corporate body looking for a shindig for 8 singles over a bank holiday weekend then we might try and discourage you or at least try and claw back some revenue with an SS!
Sorry to be vague, like everything we try to be flexible and sometimes it gets difficult! Let me put it like this - if you book to come here directly or through an agent and mention that you are coming via ST we will not charge an SS! Hopefully Stanbic Bank Lusaka don't read Safari Talk :ph34r:
5 people like this

well I am not sure about Phinda

I check the and beyond site for 2015 the place is priced at zar 6000 per day 1 Jan to 31 Dec

therte was no mention of anty period without a single supplement

Here is from Phinda Forest:

http://www.andbeyond.com/phinda-forest-lodge/rates.htm

Go to the section "Rate Conditions"

"Single Supplement: 1 - 6 Jan; Jul - Oct; 21 - 31 Dec: A single supplement of 50% applies from the first single room. Rest of year: 50% supplement is only charged from the third single room per booking."

@@bettel

Thanks it is not obvious looking at things quickly

Mara Sopa lodge (from 7th April to 15th Jun) no single room supplement

All bush facilities owned by Sarovas (Mara Sarova camp, Sarova Lion Hill lodge, Sarova Shaba) NO single room supplement from 7th Apr to 30th Jun

Mara Serena (from 1st Apr to 31st May)

Ngerende Island Lodge (low season - Apr-May)

Mara Bush tops camp (Low season - Apr-May)

Has anyone seen updated offers from camps or properties with NO single supplement?

Posted (edited)

@@Game Warden, I am not an expert in single supplements as I usually have Mr. Graceland with me.. He carries the tips.

However on this my last Safari, - Kenya - with the Ladies; (you should read the report, btw) Oh I know you did...and loved it :P

We were not charged single supplements at either Serian Main Camp

or

Mara Plains

So I'd suggest having the Travel Agent just ask. Especially these days where there are usually empty beds.

Edited by graceland
1 person likes this

~ In the past few weeks, when making very low-key general inquiries about various lodges and camps in both Sabi Sands, South Africa and around Kenya, I specified that I was a solo traveler.

In roughly 50% of the cases, they replied saying that single supplement charges might be waived, depending on the season.

Tom K.

We (Kaingu Lodge, Kafue NP Zambia) hardly ever charge single supplement on international bookings, I cannot recall doing it over the last two years. For local bookings on long weekends we sometimes do if we could have sold the room several times over. On our rates sheet we say:

Our policy is to avoid single supplements. However on occasion we may have to apply them at 20%. This is discretionary and will be discussed at the time of booking"
Explanation:
Basically this is to protect ourselves, if you are travelling on your own you are never going to be charged it. If you are a corporate body looking for a shindig for 8 singles over a bank holiday weekend then we might try and discourage you or at least try and claw back some revenue with an SS!
Sorry to be vague, like everything we try to be flexible and sometimes it gets difficult! Let me put it like this - if you book to come here directly or through an agent and mention that you are coming via ST we will not charge an SS! Hopefully Stanbic Bank Lusaka don't read Safari Talk :ph34r:

~ @@KaingU Lodge

How did I miss this?

Highly interesting.

I've very quietly been pondering Zambia.

This information is valuable to me, especially for long-term planning.

I have thought about your lodge, wondering what sort of photographic opportunities might be there.

The above single supplement information would increase my thinking!

Thank you for explaining it to us.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Kenya

Kicheche group of camps - Mara Camp in Mara North Conservancy, Bush Camp in Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Valley Camp in Naboisho Conservancy and Laikipia camp in Ol Pejeta Conservancy: Single supplement: only between 15 July and 31 October: $135 per person per night. Outside Peak season groups will receive a single supplement waiver on one single tent only per group.

http://kicheche.com/rates

1 person likes this

South Africa

Sabi Sand Reserve

All 4 lodges at Sabi Sabi (Bush Lodge, Selati Camp, Earth Lodge, Little Bush Camp): No single supplement for up to a maximum of 2 suites per booking. http://www.sabisabi.com/tariffs/

Timbavati Reserve

Kings Camp: No single supplement for the first two single suites confirmed in any one reservation. http://www.seasonsinafrica.com/hotels-lodges-adventure-activities-downloads/future-rates/2015-Rack-Rates-KINGS-CAMP.pdf

Timbavati Reserve

Umlani Bushcamp: no single supplement Out of Season - 1st Nov - 14th Dec 2015 • 8th Jan - 28th Feb 2016 • 1st May - 30th Jun 2016 http://www.umlani.com/rooms/rates/

Timbavati Reserve

Kambaku Safari Lodge: no single supplement for the first two single suites confirmed in one reservation. http://www.kambakulodge.com/rates.php

1 person likes this

Kenya

Kicheche group of camps - Mara Camp in Mara North Conservancy, Bush Camp in Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Valley Camp in Naboisho Conservancy and Laikipia camp in Ol Pejeta Conservancy: Single supplement: only between 15 July and 31 October: $135 per person per night. Outside Peak season groups will receive a single supplement waiver on one single tent only per group.

http://kicheche.com/rates

~ @@bushmaniac

It's very helpful of you to post the single supplement information for properties in both Kenya and South Africa.

Many warm thanks for doing that!

We solo travelers appreciate such assistance!

Tom K.

South Africa - Tswalu Kalahari is doing away with its single supplement in 2016 (it does have one in 2015 of 26.4%)

http://www.tswalu.com/

South Africa - Tswalu Kalahari is doing away with its single supplement in 2016 (it does have one in 2015 of 26.4%)

http://www.tswalu.com/

~ @@bushmaniac

How did I miss this when it was originally posted?

I was on safari in Kenya at the time but somehow overlooked it after my return.

Very useful to know. You've helped me a lot through posting these properties without a single supplement.

As a single traveller, such information is of highest interest to me.

Thank you!

Tom K.

This is part of the reason that I'm planning to visit there in 2017 for 10 days. I'll be paying no single supplements when I go visit Sarara and Ol Donyo Lodge thanks to my travel agent. Pamashuna lodge also doesn't charge a single supplement.

1 person likes this

This is part of the reason that I'm planning to visit there in 2017 for 10 days. I'll be paying no single supplements when I go visit Sarara and Ol Donyo Lodge thanks to my travel agent. Pamashuna lodge also doesn't charge a single supplement.

~ @@optig

Every such listing is of value to those of us who are single travelers.

Thank you for adding this information.

Your 2017 travel plans sound exciting!

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

South Africa:

Nottens Bush Camp, in the Sabi Sands: http://www.nottens.com

Has a room used for single travellers (called the Marula Room) but not advertised. It is available on request and is a good size double room with bathroom and outdoor shower. It is in the centre of the camp and hence has views over the bush. I also feel it is rather dark but tend not to be in my room for any length of time anyway. There is no single supplement and represents excellent value. I understand it is being used increasingly.

Kambaku Safari Lodge and Safari River Sands: http://www.kambakulodge.com

Has previously been mentioned but has a 'stay 4 pay 3' promotion for May and September - this is combined with the lack of single supplement.

Edited by pomkiwi
1 person likes this

Safari Properties in Tanzania include Lodges and luxury tented camps.

In Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater, there are some safari properties with No Single Supplement. Northern circuit safari in Tanzania is very famous. There is one thing important to point out and explain to travelers, some Tour Operators can waive single supplement and plan well your Tanzania safari itinerary. Traveler booking a Tanzania safari have not to worry about Single supplement if he/she deals with expert safari company in Arusha such as Chels Travel and Tours, tourist have to ask for that waive.

four-season1.jpg

~ @@Chelstravel

Thank you very much for posting this information.

It's certainly useful for single travelers to know.

Tom K.

Any recent updates to this topic?

That was going to be my addition. Sometimes rather than looking at what properties offer no SS, if you use the same company a few times, the SS can disappear since you are a repeat.

Supposedly none of the Offbeat camps (Meru and Mara) charge a SS I'm planning my 10th trip to Africa and think I will be going to Kenya where it all started- when I was bitten by the Africa Addiction Bug :) I am pretty much a solo traveler so do my best to avoid those pesky SS charges. Which is why I'm also bummed there is no Wilderness Safaris "special" this year as it wasn't only the discounted camps, it was the waiving of SS charges. Botswana is one of my favorite places, but I can't afford WS without the discounts and waiving of SS fees. I am bummed as I may never be able to go back there now. Anyway- off to Kenya in 2017!!!

@Imonmm hi there fellow Massachusetts safari-goer! I can confirm Offbeat waives SS. I just received a quote from them for Feb 2017 and it says "1 free single supplement per booking". I'm likely headed that way, just waiting to see if a friend will join me or not.

@Imonmm hi there fellow Massachusetts safari-goer! I can confirm Offbeat waives SS. I just received a quote from them for Feb 2017 and it says "1 free single supplement per booking". I'm likely headed that way, just waiting to see if a friend will join me or not.

How wonderful- I'm thinking of late March or early June since they seem to be closed April and May. I was just psyched to see they indicated no SS and now it's confirmed. Have a fabulous time :) Western MA by the way :)

1 person likes this