Game Warden

Safari properties with NO single supplement.

58 posts in this topic

Following on from the recent Kenya discussion, I want to make a list of properties which have a permanent NO single supplement policy, or which are offering No single supplement as a time restricted special offer. Feel free to post details of any offers you see or hear about and please include website if known.

Note: this topic is also open to Operators, Camps, Lodges and Agents to share details of properties offering such a deal. As more details are added in the replies below, I'll edit them into this top post by country listing. Of course, you are advised to check with the operator about their latest single supplement policy and this list is neither an endorsement or guarantee of whether each property still has a NO single supplement policy in place.

Safaritalk can take no responsibility for a change in operators/agents single supplement policy.

Botswana

(Central Kalahari):

(Linyanti area):

(Savuti area):

All Great Plains properties in Botswana:

Kenya:

Masai Mara

All Great Plains properties in Kenya:

South Africa:

In Klaserie reserve, (greater Kruger area):

Mala Mala:

Zambia:

Kafue National Park

Sanctuary Retreats:

3 people like this

There are 2 that I know of in Kafue, Zambia which do not charge a single supplement

Mayukuyuku Bush Camp

Konkamoya

What a nice topic. I was one of the no-SS crowd, so I thank you for this.

Kafue is a prime park too!

During low season months Phinda removes the SS. Mala Mala used to have (and maybe still does have) one no SS rondavel throughout the year. I got it one time for 4 nights.

The Overseas Adventure Travel ads tout no SS if booking early, for those interested in their set departures.

Mobile safaris tend to have a very modest SS. If all SS were the size of the mobiles I have done, I wouldn't even be complaining.

I have also found that the SS can be bargained down or out on an individual basis sometimes if the booking is made well in advance, when multiple nights are booked, when you are a repeat client, or in low season.

1 person likes this

I was in Brian Freeman's camp in the Masai Mara in August and he did not charge a single supplement.

Andrea

a few of the places I go to in sth Africa used to have no single supplement ,now they do .

I can't see why place don't start by building a block of single rooms, this would suit single travellers and friends/relatives would be encouraged to join an otherwise uneven numbered group

1 person likes this

a few of the places I go to in sth Africa used to have no single supplement ,now they do .

I can't see why place don't start by building a block of single rooms, this would suit single travellers and friends/relatives would be encouraged to join an otherwise uneven numbered group

Right, even cut back on the frills and fancies for these, and make them tiny, such as two in the space for one regular room. Maybe place them where otherwise rooms would not be built, like a spot with no view. If such a room is not acceptable, then solos would pay more to stay elsewhere. But the tradeoff can be well worth the savings.

I like the comment that deals on single rooms might encourage another member to join a party. More people, more money coming in.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

In Klaserie reserve (greater Kruger area):

- nThambo Tree Camp http://www.nthambo.com/rates.html

- Africa On Foot Camp http://www.africaonfoot.com/rates.html

In Botswana (Central Kalahari):

- Haina Kalahari Lodge http://www.hainakalaharilodge.com/rates.php

In Botswana (Linyanti area):

- Camp Linyanti but only in shoulder- & green seasons http://assets.sunsafaris.com/linyanti/Camp-Linyanti-Rates.pdf

In Botswana (Savuti area):

- Camp Savuti but only in shoulder- & green seasons http://assets.sunsafaris.com/savuti/Camp-Savuti-Rates.pdf

Edited by Jochen

Thanks everyone so far. Can we remember if adding details to include website addresses please. Matt.

Single rooms all you need is a bed ,small sidetable, hanging robe , a bit of spare space, a a small bathroom shower,toilet and hand basin only

Let's keep this topic to listing properties rather than just a general discussion, thanks. Matt.

Posted (edited)

Kenya:

Maasai Mara (close to Sekenani gate)

Mara Explorers Camp & Backpackers, www.maraexplorers.com

Edited by lauramomaina

That's the one, Game Warden. I see he's updated his webpage since i booked.

I had a lovely time. I'll do a short trip report when I have finished post-processing photos and when i can find a bit of time. I saw Malaika with her five cubs in early August, so comparing photos might be fun.

Andrea

@@kitefarrago Thanks Andrea, have edited details into the top post.

Posted (edited)

I spent 4 nights at Mala Mala Main Camp in May 2013 in the "single" room with no supplement. It was huge with 2 bathrooms & overlooked the river. The animal viewing here is outstanding!

Their website says it's still available. Book early!

http://malamala.com/malacamp.htm

Very useful thread for this single traveller. Thanks for starting it!

Edited by KathBC

Latest updates edited into the pinned top post. Thank you for supplying details: if you see more, please do confirm first and then post below, or, if agents are waiving SSFs, they are of course welcome to post.

Matt.

A couple of changes made to the first post.

What other offers are out there?

Mala Mala:

This part is not quite correct. Phinda does not have any relationship with Mala Mala. And actually Mala Mala has single supplement:

http://www.malamala.com/rates_reservations.htm

Phinda belongs to AndBeyond. AndBeyond used to have no single supplement at all, but now they have it from July to October and during Christmas break but the rest of the year there is still no single suplement. AndBeyond has:

1) a few lodges in Sabi Sand:

Kirkman's Kamp

Exeter

Leadwood

2) couple lodges in Timbavati (Ngala and Ngala tented)

3) all lodes in Phinda reserve

All lodges has the same deal of no single supplement the most part of the year

I believe there is the same deal for andBeyond Botswana camps:

Nxabega

Sandibe

Chobe under canvas

Savute under canvas

Xaranna

Xudum

AndBeyond has also lodges in Kenya and Tanzania but I don't know what is the deal with single supplement there.

Posted (edited)

@@bettel & @ Game Warden

Yes I can see the confusion regarding Mala Mala Main Camp. They offer one single room with no supplement.

"Accommodation :

8 luxury suites, 10 luxury rooms and 1 single room (no single supplement levied) each with..."

http://malamala.com/malacamp.htm

Edited by KathBC

@@KathBC, @@bettel ok how should I set out that section?

Thanks for your help, Matt.

Posted (edited)

I would suggest something like this for South Africa:

Greate Kruger Area:

- Sabi Sand reserve

1) Mala Mala

2) Kirkman's Kamp

3) Exeter

- Timbavati reserve

1) Ngala

2) Ngala tented

- Klaserie reserve