Africa Addict

Which concession in the Mara?

33 posts in this topic

@@Geoff... thank you for this up-to-date information about Entim. Happily, I will have my own guide with me. I would be really irked if my guide was chatting on his cell phone during my safari!

@@Geoff... thank you for this up-to-date information about Entim. Happily, I will have my own guide with me. I would be really irked if my guide was chatting on his cell phone during my safari!

@@AmyT So how is this going to work? Will you have your own vehicle with your guide? And does that mean you're driving to the Mara?

If not, I cannot see any camp allowing your guide to take one of their vehicles on game drives. I suspect that one of the camp's guides will be driving the vehicle with your guide riding shotgun.

@@Geoff

I don't know about Entim but we've been to Keekorok, Mara Sarova and Mara Serena several times and we've always travelled with our own guide, sometimes joining him from and to Nairobi on the road, sometimes flying ahead and then being picked up at the respective airfield. And from what it looked like, this was standard procedure, hardly anybody was using the camp's guides or vehicles.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I loved my visit to Ol Donyo Lodge in the Chuyulu Hills that I'm returning again this February. It offers the same outstanding views of Kiliminjaro with the elephants,and giraffes in the background without the crowds of vehicles in Amboseli or Tsavo East or West. I'll be there for 4 nights. I'll also be going to Ol Malo Camp for 4 nights ,and Sarara for 5. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by optig

I have had 3 great stays (including earlier this month for 15 nights) in the Entim Camp - located on the Mara River, between the Talek and Ol Kaju Ronkai Rivers - perfect locations.

See my special shots album or more comprehensive album for the trip - if you would like to see photos of the MMNR in early March. Alternatively, here is an album of a selection of shots from an earlier trip the MMNR in September.

I used the Entim Camp's Masai Guides (and vehicle) for this last trip and they were great.

@@armchair bushman

If you want to stay in the reserve, I'd recommend Rekero, Naibor, or Sala's Camp. If you're on a lower budget, I'd say go with Entim, Governors, or Mara Bush Camp. I would avoid camps that are OUTSIDE the National Reserve and OUTSIDE the conservancies. I would avoid camps based just outside any of the main gates (Talek, Sekenani, Olulaimutiak, Musiara).

All of my recommendations are based on a number of things:

1. Eco-friendly to an extent (some much more than others)

2. Good quality guiding - a guide can make or break your safari

3. Quality accommodation - but not over the top.

4. Location

5. Service, overall experience, and X-factor. (some of the budget camps in the reserve that I've recommended may lack the x-factor).

As I'm in the process of building my first Safari (!!!!) I'm interested to know more about your opinion with Entim. My TA has suggested it or Serena Mara as my budget accommodations in Western Mara. My time in the Mara will be at the beginning of August.

Entim is by far my favourite permanent camp in the Mara. You can see a crossing point from its grounds. The Mara will be crazy busy at the beginning of August and you will need to book early.

Topping this one for anyone thinking of a visit to the Masai Mara and surrounding conservancies.

Matt

1 person likes this

For a stay in the reserve I would absolutely recommend Rekero. 

I was guided by Jackson Looseiya. He is one of the founders of Rekero (now it's been sold to Asilia). He was outstanding.

He has now established a new camp. It's called Tangulia Mara. I wonder if anyone has been there.

I also loved Kicheche Valley Camp in Naboisho (2010).