See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

Show us your archive photos.

121 posts in this topic

In August/September 2002 I went on a fairly long safari to Malawi and Zambia, visiting Liwonde, South Luangwa and Kafue National Parks. Here are some of the antelopes @Safaridude:

gallery_5680_1135_3869290.jpg

Grater Kudu in Liwonde National Park, Malawi, August 2002

gallery_5680_1135_494059.jpg

Lichtenstein's Hartebeest, Lunga river area, Kafue National Park, Zambia, September 2002

gallery_5680_1135_1108237.jpg

gallery_5680_1135_1986231.jpg

Roan Antelope, Busanga Plains, Kafue National Park, Zambia, September 2002

In general, I was a bit underwhelmed by Kafue at that time. Still, besides the abundant Roan in Busanga, we managed to have excellent Serval sightings and some very impressive lions.

gallery_5680_1135_1215595.jpg

We saw this Serval catching a snake during a night drive - Busanga Plains, Kafue National Park, Zambia, September 2002

gallery_5680_1135_522337.jpg

A predecessor to Busangadude, Busanga Plains, Kafue National Park, Zambia, September 2002

gallery_5680_1135_71236.jpg

The quality of the scan is what it is...still a big fellow! - Busanga Plains, Kafue National Park, Zambia, September 2002

13 people like this

@@Paolo Talking of Malawi, I've just submitted an interview to Chris Badger of Central African Wilderness Safaris - it should make an interesting read, especially for those of us unfamiliar with the country.

God this thread is awesome.
Particularly loving the vintage Selinda shots Geoff, and very cool some of you have the Steroid Boys!
Any classic hyaena sightings anywhere?...:)

Lovely to see. I love all these old film shots because the colours and so on are what I remember from all those old coffee table books I loved, and on gallery walls. These were the colours of Africa before I actually saw it. It's funny I feel like that because I don't really have nostalgic feelings for film in general.

4 people like this

@@pault Yes, just like the old Nat Geos. Something organic, like getting out old ciné films. And I've always said about music vinyl is better than digital :)

3 people like this

Expedition to Rungwa Falls

At the end of August 2003, we travelled to the very remote Rungwa Falls (or Ndido) on the southern boundary of magnificent Katavi National Park, in south-western Tanzania. Our group was composed by me (then sporting a black beard), my dad (who took the pictures below), John Cox (then manager of Chada Camp), a cook and a TANAPA ranger called John, apparently the one ranger who knew the southern part of Katavi.

We travelled for three days, mostly completely offroad, following animal tracks, and walking down the Rukwa Rift in the process. It remains one of the most amazing and exhilarating experiences I have had in 34 years of safaris in Africa, in spite of being covered in dust and ashe from recent bushfires like never before or since and having being bitten by voracious tsetse flies countless times (at some point my shirt was coloured red from all the bloodstains!).

gallery_5680_1135_104083.jpg

Everything (including us) was packed in one vehicle....

gallery_5680_1135_265577.jpg

Our second camp, close to the Lukima river

gallery_5680_1135_151430.jpg

Rungwa Falls - as you may see, the pool at the bottom is full of hippos and crocs; Squack Evans visited the Falls four years later, and found that apparently most of the hippos had been poached

gallery_5680_1135_9147.jpg

Bathing in the Rungwa river, that marks the boundary between Katavi National Park to the north and Rukwa Game Reserve ( a hunting area) to the south

During the trip to Rungwa Falls we were treated with various wildlife spectacles, from enormous buffalo herds running parallel to our vehicle, at times stopping and moving towards us only to retreat and come back again (possibly they had never seen a vehicle before) to a diminutive Red Duiker. Each mbuga (open plain) was dotted with reedbucks, which sometimes you could refer as "dustbucks", so much they were covered by the black dust of the burned cotton soil, whilst Roan and Lichtenstein's Hartebeest were prominent in the woodlands (the tsetses being way more prominent, though). Our vehicle got attacked by a black mamba, that slammed into the door.

gallery_5680_1135_102563.jpg

We found these beautiful lions past Paradise on the way to the hills

Katavi was quite a different place from what it is now, and indeed it was an incredible privilege to saviour all its wild splendour.

15 people like this

@@Paolo ~ re Expedition to Rungwa Falls... Now that's what I call a safari !!

1 person likes this

@@Paolo

A bloody shirt from tsetses… now, that's a good safari!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

http://www.umszap.com/static.php?name=Product

I think this will work for TseTse to a certain extent ..... they are slower than mosquitoes .......

I think these will make great gifts (both for camp staff and for Safaritalk GTG s) .......

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Some cheetahs' pictures (scans from slides) taken on the Selinda concession more than 10 years ago.

The next 4 pictures are concerning 3 brothers that were also active on the Kwando concession, one of them was one-eyed.

post-48450-0-99537000-1416331021_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-74237400-1416331034_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-29021600-1416331048_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-88780400-1416331062_thumb.jpg

The next 3 pictures are concerning subadults.

post-48450-0-10518600-1416331076_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-67647300-1416331089_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-98244200-1416331100_thumb.jpg

10 people like this

my shirt was coloured red from all the bloodstains!

@@Paolo you are a legend!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@Bush dog

Great photos. I really love the second of the sub-adults series - it looks like a painting. Was Andrè Martens still there when you were visiting Selinda?

Edited by Paolo

@@Paolo

Thank you for your comments.

I have been about 10 times to the Selinda. I stopped going there when Brian Graham and André sold it. So he was indeed there during all the years I visited Selinda.

No shortage of cheetah in this thread.

@@Bush dog Excellent Mike. Is Selinda where you met John?

A few leopard. Again Selinda, 1998. ~ In the area that was known as Devastation Alley.

post-5120-0-00631700-1416345420_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-13645900-1416345445_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-81413600-1416345470_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-60474500-1416345502_thumb.jpg

11 people like this

@@Geoff Excellent mate: what kit were you using back in 98?

@@Geoff Excellent mate: what kit were you using back in 98?

@@Game Warden I was using one of the cheaper model Canon SLR camera. In Australia it was called the 500N (I suspect elsewhere it would have been known as one of the early so called Rebel models).

What's worse I only had a consumer grade 100-300mm lens that wobbled a bit in the camera mount. In those days I was still paying off the mortgage and I had to make the choice between good camera equipment and going on safari. I chose going on safari. When I finally purchased better equipment in the early 2000's I gave the old lens to a young native Botswana guide who had taken an interest in photography and only had a 50mm lens.

I'd like to think I'm a much better photographer now and I own professional standard equipment. I'm chaffing at the bit to see what images I can actually produce on safari.

1 person likes this

Excellent Selinda series - thanks Mike and Geoff for the additions ..

Thanks, Geoff, thanks, Hari. I've got some more on Selinda.

@@Geoff

Indeed, that's were I met John.

1 person likes this

Thanks, Geoff, thanks, Hari. I've got some more on Selinda.

@@Geoff

Indeed, that's were I met John.

If my memory serves me correctly, Mike took the famous picture of John in his vehicle following the then Selinda Pride males ....... Windhoek and Castle.

@@Geoff - How did Devastation Ally get such a dramatic name?...

@@Paolo @@Bush dog

Andre was managing Chobe Chilwero in '93 when I was there (and Paolo was there too). My guide was Kanawe.

Andre and Kanawe both moved on to Selinda shortly thereafter. Memories...

1 person likes this

gallery_6003_1136_1080595.jpg

My first migration - Mara Triangle area of Masai Mara, Kenya, September 1991

gallery_6003_1136_511362.jpg

My second migration - Masai Mara, Kenya, September 1995

gallery_6003_1136_654138.jpg

Black rhino, Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania, September 1995

gallery_6003_1136_844807.jpg

Buffalo, Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania, September 1995

gallery_6003_1136_197956.jpg

Lion, Masai Mara, Kenya, September 1995

14 people like this

Great installment, @@Safaridude ...... Migration in 1991 would have been a spectacular experience!!! - Love that pic of the Buffalo against the Crater BG