ice

Who is planning for 2016?

355 posts in this topic

Not yet, it might not happen. I know of a guy who was talking about trying to arrange a trip with lots of night drives in tho hope of getting that elusive clouded leopard! No idea when that could be yet @@Kitsafari.

Learning to watch my words from Michael.....

@kittykat23uk You must have sone something good in this life. You didn't get to Borneo yet?

Where are the snow leopards (pardon the ignorance of the 10 days paid holuiday a year man - I dare not look at destinations I don't already know about - unless I might be able to do them in a long weekend)?

It's Ladakh in India. I kept putting this trip off. It involves all the things I hate, camping at altitude in minus conditions, hiking up mountains for a chance of seeing a snow leopard shaped dot in a telescope.

I did Borneo last year as well. :)

2 people like this

Every year for me, since I am in Kenya and in the business, the wildebeest migration in the Mara. Just can't get enough of it, and it offers so much for wildlife viewing and photography. Going to be there in 2015, and most probably 2016 as well :)

3 people like this

Have already put a deposit on a solo July-August 2016 Zimbabwe safari (my fifth to Africa). 2015 prices were "guaranteed," whatever that really means. Working with Natural High Safaris out of Dorset, UK.; very pleased with the communication. Too early to book flights; plus trying to add a few additional days in Gonarezhou. Itinerary is as follows at this time:

3 nights Camp Amalinda (Matopos NP)

5 nights Somalisa Camp (Hwange NP)

5 nights Rhino Safari Camp (Matsuadona NP)

3 nights Zambezi Lifestyles (Mana Pools)

5 nights Goliath Camp (Mana Pools)

1 night Highlands House (Harare) before international flight. Possible extension for 3-4 nights in Gonarezhou NP (Chilo Gorge Lodge). If that happens, I will likely spend a bit more time in Harare.

The issue is transport to Gonarezhou; likely a long-haul overland. Limited choices of camps in Gonarezhou; Chilo is larger than I prefer, but as a solo, could not book Ant Kasheula's (spelling?) place. Plus, a primarily walking experience there would test my mobility limitations.

Nonetheless, I tend to book way in advance....for financial planning, enjoyable anticipation, and further research into the site-specific flora and fauna. Would appreciate any feed-back from other Safari Talkers.

Posted (edited)

@@kittykat23uk @@Don't Run posted on his Facebook page that he'd finally seen snow leopard. He said "Cold. I hate it. Now that I've seen wild snow leopards the only reason to endure it again is for polar bears, walruses and beluga whales" :)

I asked him where he'd seen them and if he had any photos. He replied it was in Hemis National Park and "in photos they are mere specks". I asked if it was still worth it if they were that far away and he said "oh hell yes, the fulfillment of a long held dream to see them" :)

Sounds like you may be going to the same place Peter went as Hemis National Park is in Ladakh from what I read?

Edited by SafariChick

Yes it is the place to go for snow leopard! :)

Every year for me, since I am in Kenya and in the business, the wildebeest migration in the Mara. Just can't get enough of it, and it offers so much for wildlife viewing and photography. Going to be there in 2015, and most probably 2016 as well :)

~ @@Ndaro Teddy

That's a very positive outlook!

Great to know it!

Tom K.

@@Treepol

Thanks! Not quite done with Safari this year ... Many Pools and Hwange for two weeks this October.

~ @@michael-ibk

The very nice South Africa safari in 2016 and Zimbabwe in October — you have much to anticipate!

I admire how you're able to plan safaris far in advance, as opposed to my own three months in advance approach.

Wherever you visit, the photos and description inevitably brighten Safaritalk.

Frohes reisen!

Tom K.

Thanks, @@Tom Kellie , you too. You might be the record holder here in the "safaris per year" category, how many trips for 2016? Five again - or more?

1 person likes this

Thanks, @@Tom Kellie , you too. You might be the record holder here in the "safaris per year" category, how many trips for 2016? Five again - or more?

~ @@michael-ibk

Unknown at present.

Reading Safaritalk posts, old and new, has considerably broadened the options.

I'm tossing around possibilities.

Tom K.

We ( (MrsQ a.k.a @Thursday’s Child and I) are excited to have just finalised a first trip to Kenya - January 2016

Aero Club (Wilson Airport, Nairobi) 1 night

fly to

Offbeat Meru 4 nights

overland to

Kicheche Laikipia, Ol Pejeta 5 nights

fly to

Kicheche Bush 4 nights

fly back to Nairobi and home

5 people like this

We ( (MrsQ a.k.a @Thursday’s Child and I) are excited to have just finalised a first trip to Kenya - January 2016

Aero Club (Wilson Airport, Nairobi) 1 night

fly to

Offbeat Meru 4 nights

overland to

Kicheche Laikipia, Ol Pejeta 5 nights

fly to

Kicheche Bush 4 nights

fly back to Nairobi and home

~ @@TonyQ and @@Thursday's Child

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SO PLEASED to know this!

Yours truly will most likely be in Kenya for a couple of weeks in late January, 2016.

January is a SUPERB time to be in Kenya from all respects.

I look forward to good news about your safari and your characteristically outstanding photographs.

With Happiness,

Tom K.

2 people like this

I have just paid the deposit for Porini Safari in February 2016:

1 night in Nairobi

3 nights in Porini Mara (Ol Kinyei/Naboisho)

7 nights in Porini Lion (Olare Motogori)

4 people like this

I have just paid the deposit for Porini Safari in February 2016:

1 night in Nairobi

3 nights in Porini Mara (Ol Kinyei/Naboisho)

7 nights in Porini Lion (Olare Motogori)

~ @@bettel

Wow! You're headed to Kenya!

The itinerary above sounds superb!

In @@amybatt's post #14 http://safaritalk.net/topic/14642-mara-news-amanis-new-cubs/ there's very good news — a trio of leopard cubs around Porini Lion Camp.

With such a full itinerary, you're sure to have a fine safari.

Kenya in 2016!

Thank for telling us.

Tom K.

I'm going again to Botswana in South Luangaa National Park for four days and Hwange National Park. I'm also planning a second safari to Northern Kenya in Sarara Camp and Desert Rose Camp.

Still thinking about 2016. India........ or still tempted by Ruaha. So plans on hold for the moment.........

I am thinking Selous or Ruaha or maybe Serengeti or maybe Zambia...... :D....

1 person likes this

2016. I'm thinking Tanzania: Ruaha. Maybe Selous.

I would add Katavi to that list in a heartbeat (but that might take a win on the lottery or me robbing a bank :))

2 people like this

I'm going again to Botswana in South Luangaa National Park for four days and Hwange National Park. I'm also planning a second safari to Northern Kenya in Sarara Camp and Desert Rose Camp.

@@optig. I am sure it is just one of those punctuation things, where a missing comma creates chaos, but you don't want to be flying to Botswana for South Luangwa! Have a great time. The northern Safari sounds great too. .

1 person likes this

What I meant to say is that, I will be heading to South Luangwa National Park next year for six days, and will also be staying for three days each, at Kuyenda and Bilimungwe Bush Camp. I will then go to Zimbabwe, at Camp Hwange for four days. After that, I will be in Botswana at Chitabe Lediba and Machaba Camps for three days each before finally heading to Selinda Explorer's Camp for four days.

I'm also considering visiting Sarara Camp for five days and Desert Rose Camp in Northern Kenya.

1 person likes this

I thought it must be a three country trip. Ambitious! Anyway, sounds like a big and exciting trip @@optig.

1 person likes this

@@TonyQ and @@Thursday's Child. Missed that one, although I remember you planning similar. Superb introduction to Kenya. For perfect balance I'd think about swapping one night Laikipia for one night Mara but depends what you have planned... Certainly nothing wrong with Kicheche Laikipia! Anyway, we'll test out whether 5 nights at Ol Pejeta is too long for you and report back soon.

1 person likes this

My January 2016 Kenya plans have changed since my first post in this thread. The following has been locked in and deposit paid:

- Day 0 - arrive JKIA late at night.

- Day 1 - Decompress and get over jet lag in Nairobi, hit a Nakumatt for supplies and perhaps an attraction or two.

- Day 2 - Birding day trip to Ngong Hills + Lake Magadi with Ben's Ecological Safaris

- Day 3 - Day trip to Nairobi National Park with Ben's Ecological Safaris

- Day 4 - Drive to Mt. Kenya with with Ben's Ecological Safaris overnight at Castle Forest Lodge

- Day 5 - Mt. Kenya with Ben's Ecological Safaris overnight at Castle Forest Lodge

- Day 6 - Drive to Samburu / Buffalo Springs NP with Ben's Ecological Safaris overnight at Samburu Simba Lodge

- Day 7 - Samburu / Buffalo Springs NP with Ben's Ecological Safaris overnight at Samburu Simba Lodge

- Day 8 - Samburu / Buffalo Springs NP with Ben's Ecological Safaris overnight at Samburu Simba Lodge

- Day 9 - Morning drop-off at airstrip to fly to Mara Naboisho. Picked up by Encounter Mara overnight at Encounter Mara.

- Day 10 - Full day in Mara Naboisho overnight at Encounter Mara.

- Day 11 - picked up by James Sengeny for transfer to Offbeat Mara. Private vehicle with James, overnight at Offbeat Mara.

- Day 12 - Full day with James Sengeny in Mara North Conservancy, overnight at Offbeat Mara.

- Day 13 - Full day with James Sengeny in Mara North Conservancy, overnight at Offbeat Mara.

- Day 14 - Full day with James Sengeny in Mara North Conservancy, overnight at Offbeat Mara.

My friend Tommy and I plan to do as many bush walks, full days afield and night drives as possible.

4 people like this

Two trips self driving again and staying at mostly SanParks accommodation except for the odd B&B and an apartment in Hermanus.

Feb/March via Johannesburg 5 weeks

Johannesburg

Mokala NP

Kgalagadi TP

Tankwa Karoo NP

Bontebok NP

Knysna area of Garden Route NP

Addo Elephant NP

Camdeboo NP

Mountain Zebra NP

Mokala NP

Johannesburg

August/September via Cape Town 5 weeks

Cape Town

West Coast NP

Namaqua NP

Ai-Ais/Richtersveld TP

Keetmanshoop

Kgalagadi TP

Namaqualand exploring

Hermanus whale watching

Cape Town

6 people like this

Two weeks of suffering looking for snow leopards in Ladakh and then a nice relaxing week in Tadoba to warm up in Feb/march.

6 people like this

I think I may have talked my wife into Tanzania in May/June for safari #2. Looking for 10-12 days Ngorongoro and Serengeti, possibly with some Lake Natron hiking. Trying to figure out the ideal combination of locations and camps in Serengeti now. Might need to open a thread asking for advice.

I might be able to sneak #3 in during September. I'll be in Cape Town for a conference and there is no need for me to in the city there for the entire conference. :D