ice

Who is planning for 2016?

355 posts in this topic

That is quite an endorsement, Tom. Makes me look forward to it all the more.

Yes, three elephant fosters now. The stories make me cry and I respond by taking out the credit card. They do such good work, I can't help it!

~ @@amybatt

Three, as in ‘trois’, ‘tres’, ‘drei’ or ‘tatu’?

That's true commitment!

Thank you for your generous support of the young elephants.

I'm so glad to know that.

You'll surely love your stay at the Emakoko.

Have you seen the photos and report of @@SafariChick's visit to the Sheldrick trust?

http://safaritalk.net/topic/14099-lions-leopards-and-the-lipault-ladies/page-17

Your post is inspiring, as it reflects your strong affinity for African wildlife.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-19288900-1433028801_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

We are extremely excited for our Feb. '16 vacation in Kenya for 12 days! Because I've always been one to follow my own path, I picked and chose the areas I wanted to stay in most with the focus on elephants. Although, I will be thrilled to see any and all the wildlife we can! Our first stop will be Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, and visiting the David Sheldrick orphanage while there. I currently foster one ele, but I've donated to the anti-poaching efforts as well. I'll be sure to add another ele or two in the near future! Next stop will be the David Sheldrick Ithumba self-serve Camp for two days. A guide will be meeting us there so we can see Tsavo East a bit. Then off to Amboseli to see more elephants for 3 days :D Last stop, 5 days in Mara. That will be a more general wildlife viewing from what I hear. This is our first time in Africa and on safari, so it will be interesting to see which areas we liked the most and would go back to again if given the chance. I'm ready for some adventure, can not wait!

Edited by Girlsnstilettos
4 people like this

We are extremely excited for our Feb. '16 vacation in Kenya for 12 days! Because I've always been one to follow my own path, I picked and chose the areas I wanted to stay in most with the focus on elephants. Although, I will be thrilled to see any and all the wildlife we can! Our first stop will be Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, and visiting the David Sheldrick orphanage while there. I currently foster one ele, but I've donated to the anti-poaching efforts as well. I'll be sure to add another ele or two in the near future! Next stop will be the David Sheldrick Ithumba self-serve Camp for two days. A guide will be meeting us there so we can see Tsavo East a bit. Then off to Amboseli to see more elephants for 3 days :D Last stop, 5 days in Mara. That will be a more general wildlife viewing from what I hear. This is our first time in Africa and on safari, so it will be interesting to see which areas we liked the most and would go back to again if given the chance. I'm ready for some adventure, can not wait!

~ @@Girlsnstilettos

For one who's never yet visited Africa you certainly do know how to put together a TERRIFIC itinerary!

It sounds like a fine mix of everything — surely great fun throughout!

I'm uncertain as to whether I'll be in Kenya in January or February, 2016, but it's very likely to be one of the two.

That's an especially fine time of year to be there.

Your focus on elephants ensures an exciting, fulfilling adventure.

Thank you so much for telling us about it!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yes, @@Tom Kellie I did see @@SafariChick's photo and her report, it was such an entertaining and inspiring read! I believe she's with Mbegu, who was my first foster there at DSWT. It's just an incredible experience and such a small thing to do.

@Girlsnstiletto's passion for ellies is wonderful. I hope her safari is all she hopes and more, although I know it will be! I've already warned her there'll be a "next one"!

Edited by amybatt
3 people like this

Yes, @@Tom Kellie I did see @@SafariChick's photo and her report, it was such an entertaining and inspiring read! I believe she's with Mbegu, who was my first foster there at DSWT. It's just an incredible experience and such a small thing to do.

@Girlsnstiletto's passion for ellies is wonderful. I hope her safari is all she hopes and more, although I know it will be! I've already warned her there'll be a "next one"!

~ @@amybatt

That's wonderful! You recognize the ele with @@SafariChick in the iconic Sheldricks image!

Yes, there'll be a next one...and a next one...and a next one...

I'm heading out on my 9th safari — 3rd in 2015 — on 17 July.

Incurable...and loving it!

Tom K.

2 people like this

Since we'll be moving next summer (as teachers, our life is organized with 1 big event per summer), I'm planning our next safari for summer of 2017. I'm a super-advance planner anyways, as I use frequent flyer miles for travel and usually book plane tix 330 days out. I'm currently trying to decide between Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

A Tanzania trip would mean 5 nights at Serian Serengeti at the end of July. Still doing lots of talking/brainstorming/research about what we could do in-budget in Zimbabwe. Mana Pools would be the must-do...

Posted (edited)

Actually, that photo is me with Kamok though I do also foster Mbegu!

Edited by SafariChick
2 people like this

Actually, that photo is me with Kamok though I do also foster Mbegu!

~ @@SafariChick

Methinks that somebody really loves eles!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

First two weeks of January in Tanzania with a bunch of university students. :wacko:

Still thinking about 2016. India........ or still tempted by Ruaha. So plans on hold for the moment.........

Just finalized bookings a few minutes ago for May 2016, South Africa this time:

2 nts Cape Town

2 nts De Hoop Reserve

1 nt Cape Town

2 nts Augrabies Falls

1 nt Cammspannen Private Reserve

8 nts Kgalagadi

:)

6 people like this

Just finalized bookings a few minutes ago for May 2016, South Africa this time:

2 nts Cape Town

2 nts De Hoop Reserve

1 nt Cape Town

2 nts Augrabies Falls

1 nt Cammspannen Private Reserve

8 nts Kgalagadi

:)

Nice

Have you checked the lunar calendar? We were unable to do any star/Milky Way shots in KTP as it was full moon. Also on the day of the full moon, the game drives were eerily quiet....

Full moon on 21st, that's Day Nr. 1 in the Kgalagadi. But well, for a number of reasons it had to be these two Weeks. The moon will just have to cooperate. :-)

You never know.....it may be clouded over

@@michael-ibk what an interesting itinerary with visits to (superb) lesser known destinations of De Hoop and Augrabies. De Hoop is very scenic and totally different from anything

I have seen in other parts of Africa. I have run out of superlatives to describe a visit to KTP!

Now, do you have any other trips planned between now and next May?

@@Treepol

Thanks! Not quite done with Safari this year ... Many Pools and Hwange for two weeks this October.

2 people like this

You must have done something good in a past life @michael-ibk So many great trips to look forward to.

1 person likes this

Duly noted that you think I haven´t done anything good in THIS life, @@pault . ;):P

1 person likes this

I am down for snow leopards in Feb/march. Possibly Pantanal and/ or Borneo later in the year.

3 people like this

Learning to watch my words from Michael.....

@kittykat23uk You must have sone something good in this life. You didn't get to Borneo yet?

Where are the snow leopards (pardon the ignorance of the 10 days paid holuiday a year man - I dare not look at destinations I don't already know about - unless I might be able to do them in a long weekend)?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@@michael-ibk

Are you willing to share with us your exact Kgalagadi part itinerary?

This is our February 2016 finalised itinerary (almost):

Jan 30 Jo'burg

Jan 31 Upington

Feb 1,2 Nossob Camp

Feb 3 Grootkolk

Feb 4,5 Gharagab

Feb 6 Bitterpan

Feb 7,8 Kielikrankie

Feb 9,10 Kalahari Tented Camp

Feb 11 Twee Rivieren

Feb 12 Upington

Feb 13 Jo'burg

The moonless phase is on Feb 6th - yeah, more Milky Way shots !!

Edited by xelas
1 person likes this

@@xelas

As of now it´s

2 nts Twee Rivieren

2 nts Kalahari Tented Camp

2 nts Gharagab

1 nt Nossob

1 nt Twee Rivieren

Will try to snatch some more Wilderness camps in case of cancellations. We´ll see.

1 person likes this

@@michael-ibk

Flying Ethiopian again, or have you found another lower cost solution?

@@xelas

Not booked yet, but probably Quatar from Munich. Straight flight to Cape Town from Doha, and including one flight from Cape Town to Upington it´s approx. EUR 920,--.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@michael-ibk that's such a quick turnaround!

@@kittykat23uk Borneo again so soon? have you locked up the itinerary?

Edited by Kitsafari