ice

Who is planning for 2016?

355 posts in this topic

Good that you are thinking Uganda. Amazing wildlife especially with endagered mountain gorillas, Chimpanzees, boat safaris and landscapes. Welcome

Posted (edited)

I'm contemplating now for January or February of 2016. Leaning heavily towards Kenya again but maybe including Rwanda for gorillas. Undecided there. Is there anything detrimental to booking now for a year away??? Any serious pros to doing it? (That is, other than just being able to say to myself that I'm going back!)

Edited by amybatt

Posted (edited)

I'm contemplating now for January or February of 2016. Leaning heavily towards Kenya again but maybe including Rwanda for gorillas. Undecided there. Is there anything detrimental to booking now for a year away??? Any serious pros to doing it? (That is, other than just being able to say to myself that I'm going back!)

Yes, but it depends where you are going. Nobody will have decided on prices yet and whether they will offer specials for that time of year. There are a number of nice offers around right now. Later in the year pricing should be more clear, Since it is not a really busy time in Kenya I would wait and see. However, if you have your heart set on somewhere and it is really popular and has limited capacity, chances are they won't have specials anyway.. Still think you could wait. You can bug your agent to narrow down the field now though - that is what they are there for. Haha

But seriously, if you know who you are going to book with they can probably help with that side if things. Or you could just start a tip planning thread,, it'll keep you busy for a while.

Apart from anything else if you book everything this far out are you really going to be able to wait that long?

Edited by pault

Thanks pault for that info. I'm pretty sure if I go back to Kenya it'll be at the same camps. I'm connected to the planner on Facebook and we've been talking unofficially and she says they are booking for 2016 now. Good thought though to see if there are offers. And airfare isn't even open yet for January. Argh!

No, I can't wait that long by any means, but I have three other trips before then north of the equator to keep me busy. I'd go sooner if not for those. :D

Thanks pault for that info. I'm pretty sure if I go back to Kenya it'll be at the same camps. I'm connected to the planner on Facebook and we've been talking unofficially and she says they are booking for 2016 now. Good thought though to see if there are offers. And airfare isn't even open yet for January. Argh!

No, I can't wait that long by any means, but I have three other trips before then north of the equator to keep me busy. I'd go sooner if not for those. :D

Lucky you with lots of trips to keep your mind off it. Porini have a decent offer for stays at the moment, but they have kept their rates (relatively) down it seems. Wonder if they might adjust those as they are quite a bit lower than some of the competition, whose rates used to be the same? No particular reason to think that, except that not long after I look at somewhere and think " that's good value" the owners of said place seem to think similar, except with a "too" before the "good".

Not tempted to try ome of their other camps this time?

Posted (edited)

I'm considering an itinerary for January that would include Amboseli, which I did not get to last time, and another day in Nairobi so I can go to the Sheldrick orphanage and the giraffe center. I'm very tempted, just trying to figure out if I should add one more night to Amboseli (two nights there now, would mean one day in the conservancy and one day in the NP) and take away from either Ol Pejeta or Mara Camp (two nights there each...I'm tempted to eliminate one entirely and add a night to Amboseli and another to Lion for 5 there as it's my favorite camp of all)

With 30 inches of snow just fallen and another 12 on the way tomorrow night, this is a delightful distraction....

Edited by amybatt
1 person likes this

@@amybatt - we absolutely loved Amboseli when we were there last year. Ol Pejeta - well, not so much. So I would definitely add more nights to Amboseli if it were me! We had three nights in Amboseli and could easily have stayed more. Obviously it's mainly about the elephants, who I just adore!

After reading all the wonderful Mana Pools trip reports, and seeing how popular Doug MacDonald is, we have bitten the bullet and have booked him for late September/early October for a trip which includes Vic Falls, Hwange and Mana Pools. It seems so crazy to book so far in advance, but I really wanted to secure Doug! And so the countdown begins!!

4 people like this

So what plans for 2016 have you got simmering away? Has talk of Chad and CAR given you any ideas?

October 2016 - I'll be in Tanzania for an event then safari in Kenya for ?? days.

With the latest Lipault Ladies fantastic TR I'm quite interested in the Serian Camps at the moment but waiting on the actual date for the event so no concrete palnning till that date is sorted.

So what plans for 2016 have you got simmering away? Has talk of Chad and CAR given you any ideas?

Might be looking at a Congo/CAR combo for next year

2 people like this

Not sure yet...

Zambia is on top of the list....but we may do a quick trip to Tanzania over Christmas 2015...any suggestions...prolly stay at one camp.

Booked! 2 weeks in February, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, 11 nights (7 Wilderness Camps). Even before I have been able to sort out the photos from our recent trip there :wub: !

I need to look for a strong antidote, that Africa travel bug has infected us deeply. Maybe a healthy dose of South America in summer 2016?!

4 people like this

We're booked for February next year, as follows:

- arrive in Arusha, 1 night

- 3 nights Tarangire

- 1 night Lake Manyara

- 2 nights Crater Rim

- 4 nights Ndutu

- 2 nights Seronera

- then fly from Mwanza to Kigali, where we'll spend 5 nights in Rwanda including 2 gorilla treks.

Really looking forward to it, as we're not doing any traveling this year. Only 273 days to go... :)

1 person likes this

It would be lovely to consider Zakouma for 2016, but financial constraints rule that out!!! More realistically, I am considering a trip to include Kgalagadi, Mokala and Augrabies. The current trip reports by @@penolva and @@Tdgraves are both enjoyable and provide much useful information. Many thanks to both.

If I am to do this trip, it would either be alone or with a friend or friends, none of whom would be happy to self drive. I would like to stay in the wilderness camps in Kgalagadi and just wondered about the logistics of this if one travels with a driver/guide?

It would be lovely to consider Zakouma for 2016, but financial constraints rule that out!!! More realistically, I am considering a trip to include Kgalagadi, Mokala and Augrabies. The current trip reports by @@penolva and @@Tdgraves are both enjoyable and provide much useful information. Many thanks to both.

If I am to do this trip, it would either be alone or with a friend or friends, none of whom would be happy to self drive. I would like to stay in the wilderness camps in Kgalagadi and just wondered about the logistics of this if one travels with a driver/guide?

@@Seniortraveller I will be covering Mokala after I have finished the KTP section of my current trip report. I covered Augrabies in my Kruger to Kgalagadi trip report last year. There are guides available to take you into the Kgalagadi and you only need to get on the telephone when bookings open to secure two units in the wilderness camps, unless you are prepared to share. All the food shopping can be done in Upington before you set off. Have a great time. Pen

@@Seniortraveller it would just depend on room availability - most wilderness camps only have 4 rooms, so max 8 pax

@@Seniortraveller I have made a booking for Kgalagadi between Jan 26th - Feb 5th, 2016, but I will not use it as I have postponed my trip for a week (to catch some moonless nights). If that is the time you would like to visit KTP let me know.

@@penolva and @Tdgraves: you are experienced Kgalagadi visitors; if Seniortraveller (or any other member) will be interested in my booking, what is the way to switch it from my name to her/his name? Or is there another way?? My booking will become obsolete in about 2 weeks.

The booked camps are 26/TR, 27,28/KTC, 29/Urikaruus, 30/Nossob, 31,1,2/Gharaghab, 3/Nossob, 4,5/Kielikrankie.

1 person likes this

@@xelas as far as I know you should both ring Sanparks or ask on the Sanparks Kgalagadi forum for advice they will know. Someone is offering 6 nights at Urikaruus there today and the KTP guru is offering to assist. Pen

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@penolva: thanks for the tip on SANParks forum. Another one to follow, and to gather vital informations (or to become like Hulk).

Luckily I do not need to do anything, as my second booking is already done, and first one will become obsolete in 2 weeks.

Edited by xelas

@@Seniortraveller I have made a booking for Kgalagadi between Jan 26th - Feb 5th, 2016, but I will not use it as I have postponed my trip for a week (to catch some moonless nights). If that is the time you would like to visit KTP let me know.

@@penolva and @Tdgraves: you are experienced Kgalagadi visitors; if Seniortraveller (or any other member) will be interested in my booking, what is the way to switch it from my name to her/his name? Or is there another way?? My booking will become obsolete in about 2 weeks.

The booked camps are 26/TR, 27,28/KTC, 29/Urikaruus, 30/Nossob, 31,1,2/Gharaghab, 3/Nossob, 4,5/Kielikrankie.

Or you could get a refund from SANParks

@Tdgraves: no deposit was paid, so no refund. Booked directly at Twee Rivieren, that probably makes the difference.

@@xelas I appreciate you thinking of this, but even if it were possible, the timing would not be right for me.

I originally erroneously posted this to the 2015 thread, but this my booking for February 2016:

1 night Eka Nairobi

3 nights Tawi Lodge Amboseli

5 nights Encounter Mara (now Asilia since I booked)

1 night Emakoko. I'll do Sheldricks from here as I am now a foster mom three times over. Very glad to read the positive reviews on it here from Tom and others, will probably make me wish I had a few more nights here!!

I can't even fathom counting down to this, as it might depress me how long I have still, but you all will keep me going here with your TRs!

1 person likes this

I originally erroneously posted this to the 2015 thread, but this my booking for February 2016:

1 night Eka Nairobi

3 nights Tawi Lodge Amboseli

5 nights Encounter Mara (now Asilia since I booked)

1 night Emakoko.  I'll do Sheldricks from here as I am now a foster mom three times over.  Very glad to read the positive reviews on it here from Tom and others, will probably make me wish I had a few more nights here!!

I can't even fathom counting down to this, as it might depress me how long I have still, but you all will keep me going here with your TRs!

~ @[member="amybatt"]

I've booked two nights at the Emakoko in late July — two months hence — as it's such a tremendous ‘home away from home’.

You're a Sheldricks mother three times over?

Bless you for that. I'm so pleased that you'll be able to visit your ‘youngsters’.

Yes, it's a long wait, but Safaritalk trip reports and discussion forums will sustain your interest.

Very happy that you've made such a fine plan.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

~ @@amybatt

I've booked two nights at the Emakoko in late July two months hence as it's such a tremendous home away from home.

You're a Sheldricks mother three times over?

Bless you for that. I'm so pleased that you'll be able to visit your youngsters.

Yes, it's a long wait, but Safaritalk trip reports and discussion forums will sustain your interest.

Very happy that you've made such a fine plan.

Tom K.

That is quite an endorsement, Tom. Makes me look forward to it all the more.

Yes, three elephant fosters now. The stories make me cry and I respond by taking out the credit card. They do such good work, I can't help it!

3 people like this