Chobe - Sept 2014

Soukous

Well, I for one love the bird pics, especially the Pied and the Yellow-Billed Stork with croc. The Spoonbill/Ibis dispute is very interesting, too. A terrific day for you, even with a less-than-ideal guide on the boat.

@@Soukous

Really enjoying this. I am one of those 'birds aren't my thing' people, but your pictures of them are wonderful.

Also, love the monitor lizard (much more my thing)

Oh those bird images are fantastic @@Soukous . So sharp and showing SUCH detail. I particularly liked the black heron - superb.

and the beautiful black and white elephant picture..............................

Sounds as though your trip got off to really good start.

thanks @@wilddog & @@michael-ibk & @@Zim Girl

I've spent so long writing and processing I can't believe I've still got 10 days of safari to write up.

That should keep you out of mischief for a few days ;)

@@Soukous thanks for continuing. I enjoyed the bird pics very much especially the Black Heron.

Great hippo and buffalo shots too.

That should keep you out of mischief for a few days ;)

It'll take more than that :ph34r:

@Soukous: Amazing bird images, I also love the close up of the croc and the hippo. Chobe NP looks so much more productive in September, than at the end of May...

@@Soukous

I really enjoyed your bird photos - excellent (I even found myself comparing some to the ones we had just seen in Brazil...)

The monitor lizard was very ambitious, and I love the pictures of the buffalo enjoying the mud. And the uninteresting crocodile...

Shame about your boat guide, but it sounds like you enjoyed it anyway.

....., but it sounds like you enjoyed it anyway.

I always do. It is Africa after all. What's not to enjoy?

@@Soukous - you are indeed a fantastic photographer. You are right, only a mother can love the face of a maraboustork. Look foreward to read more of your great trip.

Regarding Page 1 only:

You are a bird photo guru! "A friend who travels with me regularly never brings camera; he just enjoys the sightings without the hassles of trying to capture a decent image." While he won't get your kind of bird photos, your friend's approach is admirable and has its advantages. Maybe he gets your bird photos.

The dead elephant looks like it might not be that old. Hoping it is not a disease that may spread. I wonder if the lioness was bothered by gnats, flies, or mosquitoes and was using the mud to ward them off.

Page 2 has more spectacular birds, among other creatures.

It appears you had 3 nights Chobe. I would think Sept is an ideal month for Chobe. Your photos seem to prove it.

Edited by Atravelynn

Regarding Page 1 only:

You are a bird photo guru! "A friend who travels with me regularly never brings camera; he just enjoys the sightings without the hassles of trying to capture a decent image." While he won't get your kind of bird photos, your friend's approach is admirable and has its advantages. Maybe he gets your bird photos.

The dead elephant looks like it might not be that old. Hoping it is not a disease that may spread. I wonder if the lioness was bothered by gnats, flies, or mosquitoes and was using the mud to ward them off.

Page 2 has more spectacular birds, among other creatures.

It appears you had 3 nights Chobe. I would think Sept is an ideal month for Chobe. Your photos seem to prove it.

@@Atravelynn, thanks for your kind comments

My friend does get my photos, but he is not really that interested in birds

We only sent 2 nights in Chobe and the time seemed to fly by. September is a great month game wise but there is a very heavy haze in the air caused by a combination of dust and smoke. It was the same everywhere in Zimbabwe except Lake Kariba.

@@Soukous, magnificent!

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good write up about your trips and some excellent photos. September and October is a phenomenal time to be along the Chobe Riverfront. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the community! The green season is a total transformation to what you saw. Animals less under pressure and this year we did see quite a number of dead elephants again in Chobe...despite good late rains in the season. Nevertheless the rains have just arrived and already the colours and birdlife is exploding into life and from a photography perspective the clouds and light can make it really interesting. Lots of baby impala are dropping and dramatic skylines of warm light and building storms! Happy safaris in the future!

Those lion cubs are growing up fast although don't have the hunting instinct quite right yet. Here they at the start of the year when they were much smaller! (This was taken when we were doing the bi-annual waterbird count.)

On the other side, it was a pleasure to have Martin on safari!

post-17765-0-42339700-1415798353_thumb.jpg

@@Jamesinchobe @@Chobe Clive

great to see you 2 guys participating here. I look forward to regular updates from Chobe.