See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Impact of Ebola on safari bookings?

Ebola Africa Zaire

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#161 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

~ When I arrived at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in the early afternoon of 1 May, it was if all concerns about Ebola had vanished into the empyrean.

Unlike my arrival at the same location on 18 January of this year, there were no prominent signs, no public health staff in evidence and no more than an obscure notice.

Returning to Beijing through international airports in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and Incheon, South Korea, there was nothing at all until reaching Beijing.

A large sign in Beijing Capital International Airport enjoined arriving international passengers to declare themselves if they'd visited the affected West African nations.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie, 12 May 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#162 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

~ It should be added that throughout the safari local staff made a point of partially attributing the empty lodges, very few groups and overall sense of emptiness to Ebola concerns overseas.

Is that truly the case at this date?

Here in Beijing, Ebola has seemingly slipped off the radar, in contrast to half a year ago.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie, 12 May 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#163 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,021 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:57 AM

Tom, I think Garissa had a large part to play with cancellations if any ........ May is down time anyways, with majority of the camps (even in the conservancies) closed.

• Tom Kellie likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#164 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Tom, I think Garissa had a large part to play with cancellations if any ........ May is down time anyways, with majority of the camps (even in the conservancies) closed.

~ @madaboutcheetah

Ah, so that's the cause.

Thank you for telling me.

Interesting that the Ebola trope was what was offered as the excuse du jour, while nary a peep about Garissa was heard.

The early May visit to Masai Mara was so pleasant that I'd unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone seeking a beautiful, low-key uncrowded Mara visit.

I have no regrets, but in truth, I never do concerning any safari!

Tom K.

#165 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

~ Have concerns about Ebola sputtered out?

When arriving in Nairobi in late July, there was a line to walk slowly through a body temperature detector.

Signs concerning Ebola risk had been removed.

Whatever factors may be adversely affecting Kenya tourism may not include Ebola, or at least there seemed to be no overt evidence of it.

What's felt around the globe is unknown to me, as here in Beijing it's unmentioned anymore.

Tom K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ebola Africa, Zaire

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.