Self drive from Arusha to Lake Natron

ReiseBeate

Hallo,

we are an elderly, but adventurous couple. We travelled Africa about 10 times, SA, Botswana, Namibia, Malawi, Zambia. And in 2012 we did the Northern Circuit in Tanzania.

This year we'll do the same. But this time we want to go from Arusha north to Longido and then the road west to Oldonyo Lengai und further on to Lake Natron.

We'll have a 4x4 Defender with roof tent.

We can't get any Information about the road west from Longido. Therefore my question here: does anyone know how good or bad this road is?

Thank you

Beate

@@ReiseBeate Bringing this post back to the top, can anyone help advise Beate?

Thanks, Matt.

hi beate ,

the roads are bad ..in that area ..definitely need a 4x4 there.

see the attached pics.

i already been to lake natron and ol doiyo lengai ..last year november..due to rain i had to stop and continue driving in the night .

the car struck at 2 places due to muddy road.

post-48115-0-78026500-1412854416_thumb.jpg

post-48115-0-90443300-1412854424_thumb.jpg

post-48115-0-45616400-1412854433_thumb.jpg

post-48115-0-63108500-1412854446_thumb.jpg

post-48115-0-24075200-1412854459_thumb.jpg

roads from arusha to mto wa mbu town are good but from mto wa mbu to lake natron is not suitable for all vehicles.

Only 4x4 can survive.

Thank You, Matt.

@ Gagan:

I did this road from Mto wa mbu 2 years ago and I know these road.

But this time i dond't want to go that road, I want to go the Road from Arusha north to Longido and than west to Lake Natron.

And yes, we have a 4 x 4, a Defender.

From which road are your pictures?

Beate

Ok this road is the one to access lake natron from manyara side. If you are going from arusha north then its fine..this is prefered for mountain bikers specially ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gagan,

I was on a trip the last days and therefore read your answer just now.

What do you mean by writing: .....the road is fine.........prefered for mountain bikers

Does this mean: not so good for cars?

In the meantime I heard this should be a prefered road for smugglers and poachers? So it could be dangerous?

Does anybody know about that?

Beate

Hi beate ..the roads from mto wa mbu to lake natron is rough ..so it is good for cyclists who like this kind of uneven terrain for biking..but cars have to be strong as you can compare these roads to any other national park roads. Thugs are more common in arusha town..poachers can be found here..so be carefull ...but I have been here thrice but never met any such problem ..you can hire a good masai guide and then relax ..these masai warriors can deal with this kind of problems...

Hi Gagan,

as I wrote bevor: I'm NOT speaking about the road from Mto wa mbu to Lake natron. I know this road.

I was asking about the road from Longido to Lake Natron!!

I don't understand of which road you are writing

And no no no, I don't want to hire a Masaii guide. I wouldn't relax with him. We want to be for our own.

Beate

Sorry

I have no idea abt longido road ..may be other experienced people can help you..

By the way stay safe duting your journey..bye