Dam2810

Shocking, disturbing, unethical behaviour of hunting company in Tz

23 posts in this topic

sickening that people behave like this.

sickening that people behave like this.

+1

But I couldn´t see any video, could you?

Well, I really don´t want to see it anyway ...

i just couldn't finish watching it. it was just so painful.

Unbelievable! This is just wanton cruelty! :(

Posted (edited)

Apparently the video was used as a promotion tool in UAE...

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/leaked-animal-abuse-video-shows-everything-thats-wrong-with-big-game-hunting

Regardless, allegations of hunting abuse have a long history in Tanzania, and there have been anecdotal stories of things like what you see here happening, but this is the rare, and perhaps first, case in which solid evidence of hunters screwing with and torturing animals has come out.

It probably won't be the last. "We now suspect that many other firms are involved in this illegal practice,” Msigwa said last month (Peter Msigwa, Tanzania's shadow minister of natural resources and tourism).

Edited by Dam2810
1 person likes this

These are the guys who were allocated a big part of the Lake Natron concession by the Wildlife Division of Tanzania. Green Mile "won" the concession in a dubious process over the best, conservation-minded concession holder. Any minimal due diligence into these guys would have resulted in warning flags. This exposes the wretched flaws (and corruption) in the hunting system in Tanzania.

3 people like this

The still images are enough to sicken me. I think I will give the video a miss. Still important to know about these things tho', so thanks for letting us know @@Dam2810

1 person likes this

Can't look at any part of this, but agree, we need to know these things.

The still images are enough to sicken me. I think I will give the video a miss. Still important to know about these things tho', so thanks for letting us know @@Dam2810

Can't look at any part of this, but agree, we need to know these things.

Ditto from me on both these comments.

Won't look at the video, bad enough to think that people think torture of the defenceless is ok, let alone have the images seared on my mind for all time. I feel physically sick.

Disgusting. Sickening.

I note the commentary beneath the YouTube vid said that as a result of all the abuses and blatant breaches of Tanzanian law exposed in the clip their licence over the concession was revoked.

However they should have all been prosecuted.

Green Mile Safaris (the company depicted in the video) is back. This time, they somehow got allocated a block in Natron (I believe the block that borders the lake) from Tanzania Game Trackers (owned by an American family) even though TGT's lease had not expired. TGT has invested hundreds of millions of dollars into its blocks, not just in terms of conservation but also in community development.

1 person likes this

I watched the entire video. Most disturbing, aside from the unethical and wanton hunting practices, is the active participation of the young boy...encouraged by the men. Shame on Tanzania (and yes, others are guilty) for allowing rich, ruthless and uneducated outsiders to exploit their natural treasures for profit.

2 people like this

@Safaridude Really? That's very bad news and I'd say it was incredible, but it regretably isn't. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

1 person likes this

Here's another sickening video, from another group, but also in Tanzania.

LINK.

I hope all involved are arrested and imprisoned if they ever set foot in Tanzania again.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Article related to @@Safaridude's statement that Green Mile is back (with another sickening video compilation of atrocities)

http://qz.com/707120/whats-going-on-in-tanzania/

This is heart-breaking, and I am shocked and disturbed and wish I could unsee all this sickening cruelty! I am about to visit Tanzania later on in the year and in a way I am feeling really guilty that I will be filling the pockets of those officials who facilitate and allow this to happen. I have recently also read a book containing shocking details into how hunting and parks are managed in Tanzania - that was enough to put me off a bit, but this now is too much. I know that the best way to conserve the little that is left is to visit the national parks and contribute to the eco-tourism economy, but I can't help but feel I am also contributing and somehow condoning this by visiting too - what a dilemma :(

What are your thoughts? Does it also make you mad or do you just look at the "good" you are contributing to? Should we ignore the ugly side we are also financing?

Edited by cheetah80
1 person likes this

These things took part in hunting blocks, which are not funded from photographic tourism dollars.

What's the name of the book you are referring to? @@cheetah80

Posted (edited)

@@egilio - Photo tourism dollars (from park fees) are contributing to the salaries of the officials that make these decisions, and taxes make it into the government coffers which are allowing this to happen. We would all like to think we are not contributing towards these shady things but unfortunately such things are more complex than they seem.

The book I am referring to is called "Lions in the Balance: Man Eaters, Manes, and Men with Guns" by Craig Packer. Mr Packer is pro-hunting and has lobbied in favour of it for many years, but the corruption and poor choices at many levels of park management up to government is a recurring theme in the book.

Edited by cheetah80

Craig Packer has been swinging between pro-hunting and anti-hunting, reflecting where is funding came from. In the end it got him kicked out of Tanzania, a shame, because he's a good researcher and published a lot of interesting and good stuff.

It also depends on how the wildlife department is set up as to where tourism dollars go. Take Zambia, ZAWA used to be a parastatal, having to source it's own funding. And for ZAWA most income came from hunting (trophy fees, hunting license fees, park entrance fees, bed levies). But recently ZAWA, now DWNP, has been put back in government, receiving funding directly from the government, and fees from hunting and park entrance fees go to the government 'big' coffer.

The 'problem' is is that indeed for ZAWA hunting generated more income, but for Zambia as a whole photographic tourism generated much more money. Over 10 more tourists = over 10 times more visa fees, more tax on bed nights, over 10 times more jobs = over 10 times more income tax. And jobs in photographic tourism are usually better paid, and of higher education than in hunting, and year round instead of tied to a 6-8 month hunting season. Hunters typically employ a chef, a few groundsmen, a few cleaners, a few kitchen porters, and trackers (the most valued ones). A photographic tourism lodge employs all those too (except the trackers), and due to the higher volume more cleaners, kitchen porters etc. But they also employ guides, accountants, admin people in the booking office, drivers, mechanics, plumbers, electricians. So yes, please keep going on photographic safaris! There is still so much to protect in Africa. Anomalies like this are harder to keep under the wraps in this digital age, so they are being weeded out. The companies portraying this behavior are also not representative of hunting companies.

4 people like this

Note that the Natron concession was pulled away from Tanzania Game Trackers/Wingert Windrose/Friedkin Conservation Fund after they put in $100 million to attain "Strategic Investor Status" in 2015. The Tanzanian government is essentially reneging on the deal.

The Tanzanian government has tried to do the same thing to a couple of other Strategic Investors. Getting the money in first and then reneging on the deal conditions seems to be the modus operandi.

The local media coverage of this Natron block tragedy is hilariously flawed and pro-government.

2 people like this