Serengeti and Ndutu in May

Bush dog

@@penolva

Good morning.

Can you, please, explain what you mean by "a bit strange" and, besides, I do have some recollection about this trip and many others.

But, I am inclined to forget names and details about lodges, camps, drivers, guides, sightings,...... if they were not above average, and furthermore, I do not keep a diary, like my wife does, and she was not with me on this one.

As far as great sightings are concerned, they were not found, except in the Matiti where there was nobody, neither by my driver, neither by me.

In wide open places like Serengeti, it's not too difficult to spot animals and cars already on a sighting, even in green season.

Mike

I was surprised you could not recollect the company you travelled with. Pen

Concerning 2010, there is not a lot to say. I first went to the western corridor, the Grumeti area, a wrong choice. Indeed, very few activity there, except for tse tse and horse flies. I saw only one lion. The migration was at Musabi.

One day, I went to Lobo. Along the road, I saw one cheetah in the tall grass and the long processions of gnus. At Lobo, no activity at all.

Then I went to the Seronera area. It was a bit better especially around the kopjes, at Moru particularly, a lot of lions, but nothing exceptional.

During that trip, I did not see any leopard at all.

Some pictures from 2010

post-48450-0-98858400-1409212336_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-82645200-1409212341_thumb.jpg

Black-headed Heron

post-48450-0-23142300-1409212346_thumb.jpg

Lake Magadi

post-48450-0-46132500-1409212352_thumb.jpg

post-48450-0-64596300-1409212349_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-93651500-1409212363_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-86372600-1409212367_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-89263600-1409212356_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-99424500-1409212360_thumb.jpg

This is the end for this one

@@Bush dog I agree with what Hari said about the lions with the boulder - I literally said "Wow!" out loud alone in my living room as I looked at them! Such cool photos. Great idea to go back to that spot - it certainly paid off. Please go on more safaris soon so we can see more of your wonderful photos!

@@SafariChick

Thank you so much, and to you, Hari, also for your kind support.

With regard to more safaris, and without going back so far in the past, I still do have some material for a few trip reports.

If you are interested in places outside Africa, the next one will be about the Pantanal, where I am going to, next week

Love the Pantanal, looking forward to that! Hope you have a good trip, enjoy it.

madaboutcheetah

Please bring back lots of fabulous images, Mike ...... safe travels!!!

@@Bush dog gorgeous pictures of the vultures. i could see so much details of the birds. beautiful pictures of the lions in the mist - so glad it happened for you. that black and white picture of the male lion sitting against that rock on the kopje? wow.

and the cheetah in the pale icy background, watching the sick lion - the effect is so incredible. it just reminds me of the icy lands of narnia - very fairy tale-stuff.

Those are WOW moments - Lions next to an impressive boulder like that. The rock looks very similar to a place called, Ngong rock in the seronera area where we stopped for morning tea last year.

What can I say???? Fabulous .......

Couldn't agree more. Many wow moments but that male lion on the kopje just blew me away!

@@Sangeeta

Thank you so much for your appreciation.

To all of you

Honestly speaking, when I join Safaritalk, I was not expecting so much nice reactions from some of you. That makes me very happy!!!

Once more , thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

A cat and a rock. You've created a masterpiece with a cat and a rock! I missed the cubs on the first look at the lioness and the boulder.

Well thanks, but if masterpiece there is, they created it (being there at the right place, when I was just passing by), not me.

Apologies for the like flood now in your notifications, only just saw this one. Stunning, the lot of it. The early pics are wonderful. vibrant and green. For so many of us who go in the summer it is refreshing to get a different colour palate from our usual straw-yellow grasslands. Lions in the mist is fantastic, as is the leopard kill sequence. Greatly enjoyed the cheeky vulture, and glad he was not ignored. :)
Serenegti ones at the Moru kopjies were excellent.

@@Bush dog Really good read. Still catching up with things after being away and you appear to have had a great time. Lions in mist and lions on kopje of course stand out and the optimism of finding something interesting where you did years ago is both amusing and inspiring.

• 10 months later...

@@Bush dog Thanks for writing and sharing this trip report, and shoving us all of your fantastic photos (although I think you over-process some of them).

@@Gregor

Thanks a lot for your comments and for bringing this topic to the top of the pile.

You are absolutely right, some of the pictures are over-processed. Sometimes it's intentional (the lions in the mist) but also accidental. I had just bought Lightroom 5 and was not yet accustomed to it. The fact that I am colour blind is also perhaps not helping.

I seize the opportunity to tell you that I love your photography (Ruaha and South Luangwa).

@@Bush dog

Just read the report. It was so captivating and the photographs so stunning that i forgot to "like" the posts...thats how impatient i was to go to the next post.

But here goes for the record. Your photographs, especially the composition of the lions and rock is pure class. stunning. The only problem is that my face has turned a nice shade of green and i have no idea how long it would take before it becomes normal again.

• 3 weeks later...
anthracosaur

@@Bush dog

Wonderful trip report. At the risk of parroting everyone else, I loved your photographs. The lion on the rock and the close up of the Secretary Bird grooming its feathers are my favorites. So would it be safe to assume you would recommend Ndutu in May?

@@anthracosaur

Thanks a lot for your comments. If you are not focused on the migration and not afraid of loneliness (I did not see more than ten cars in a week of time), I would, indeed, recommend Ndutu, and the Matiti also, in the second part of May. And if you wanna see the migration, you can go, after or before, in the Serengeti around and south of Seronera. For the same reasons, I would also recommend Masai Mara at the same period. I also made a report on it

http://safaritalk.net/topic/13073-kenya-masai-mara-in-may/

anthracosaur

@@Bush dog

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I would love the isolation and we'll be in Central Serengeti later on the trip for the migration. Now I just need to figure out how to cram everything we want to do in and still stay on budget!