See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Kenya put on Ebola Alert by WHO

27 posts in this topic

Oh no......

Not good at all. Really hope it won't get worse...still gonna go next month...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well I wonder if South African Air will divert its' daily fuel stop in Dakar after takeoff from IAD on to ORTAMBO. Anyone wanting to fly West to East would be flying SAA if Kenya pulls out their flights.

I called SAA and they would only say, "precautions are being taken"...of course folks get on the plane but we do not deplane at this stop.

I was not too worried as I do not plan on touching anyone at 6:30am when they board - I will huddle in my own little cocoon with DH and my sanitizing wipes (which by the way as a FORMER F/A I highly recommend wiping everything down around your seat). Really.

It can be a petri dish you are sitting in. They are never cleaned -and I HAVE seen the cleaning crew come aboard, sweep through and leave.Yuck. I take enough for my fellow travelers around me, as I always hear them in the distance, "Honey, why didn't you think of that?" :)

:unsure: Me and Matt Lauer dispense wipes like candy.

Edited by graceland
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I would not be worried personally about flying on the planes either @@graceland - even the WHO is saying that they should NOT be stopping flights as it's not easily communicable via air travel. Hopefully all this furor calms down soon. But good tip to wipe down things around you - I can imagine that could only help prevent exposure to any kind of germs! I always use those wipes provided at the supermarket to wipe off the shopping cart handles.

Edited by SafariChick
1 person likes this

I would not be worried personally about flying on the planes either @@graceland - even the WHO is saying that they should NOT be stopping flights as it's not easily communicable via air travel. Hopefully all this furor calms down soon. But good tip to wipe down things around you - I can imagine that could only help prevent exposure to any kind of germs! I always use those wipes provided at the supermarket to wipe off the shopping cart handles.

Having lived on planes for several years, I can tell you they are not very clean. Short turn arounds and shooting for high on time percentages prevent anything but disposing of whatever the crew can collect.

I also board LAST to avoid standing in line with " germs". I never figured out with a seat number why people have to be first on board. OH right. they are carrying the kitchen sink as well and need first dibs on overheads!

I guess it's from seeing just about everything but a live birth on board - I am very pro-active when flying. B) You should see me at the gate agent desk. ha ha

1 person likes this

Graceland, I also wipe everything down in the plane around my seat. I use wipes but add a squirt of hand sanitiser. But I am one of the ones who's onto the plane as soon as I can so that I can make sure that my camera bag has a spot above my seat. Guilty. :unsure:

1 person likes this

Me too - I need to get my camera gear in the overhead ....... it's not easy and is a big production!!!

I wash my hands as many times as possible on the plane ;) and use a tissue to open the toilet door ........ :)

I know we sound a bit paranoid about airplane hygiene but when you spend so much money on a safari, the thought of being sick for the first week is unthinkable. People look at me as if I'm a little crazy.

Hari, I too use a tissue to open the toilet door.

1 person likes this

@@twaffle - we are not that bad.

I'm not making this story up - a very good friend of mine in California actually waits for someone to open a public bathroom door to enter or exit it (won't even touch the handle)

Surgical gloves anyone? Might be a joke now but who knows over time.

1 person likes this

@@twaffle - we are not that bad.

I'm not making this story up - a very good friend of mine in California actually waits for someone to open a public bathroom door to enter or exit it (won't even touch the handle)

It's not me :P

1 person likes this

Hmmm ... I wonder how that works with toilet stalls. :rolleyes:

2 people like this

Graceland, I also wipe everything down in the plane around my seat. I use wipes but add a squirt of hand sanitiser. But I am one of the ones who's onto the plane as soon as I can so that I can make sure that my camera bag has a spot above my seat. Guilty. :unsure:

Twaffle, Since you bring back so many terrific shots you are allowed the space above your seat.

But some people..hmm,can't all be cameras in those plastic bags :rolleyes:

Hmmm ... I wonder how that works with toilet stalls. :rolleyes:

He would drive home for that.

1 person likes this

I leave for Zambia via Sao Paulo, Brazil and Jo-burg on Monday with SAA. Now living in Central America (Panama), it sure cuts down on the long flights from the US (21-22 hours with refueling in Dakar) which I have done in the past; vs 8-10 hours non-stop from Sao Paulo.

Re: Ebola, I expect there will be thermo-detectors upon arrival in Jo-burg, or even departure from Brazil on SAA. Not concerned about that, but certainly hope that this epidemic can be brought under control. Yes, I try to "sanitize" my personal space on a long haul, especially wanting to arrive healthy and ready to enjoy a much-anticipated safari.

They had Thermo-detectors on arrival in Joburg even in June when I was there ...... just before immigration stamps your passport.

They have had them in JNB for some time.

If you think that Kenya's run of bad luck had ended, think again.

It seems that the effects of the ebola crisis are not limited to West Africa.

I have just received an email from my colleague in China who is promoting a series fo safaris to Kenya and Tanzania telling me that the Chinese authroities have issued a blanket travel advisory..

>>I want to let you know where we are the moment with these products. ..... But the promotion is now in a very slow pace because of the current Ebola situation in Africa. We know that the Ebola problem is far away in the west of Africa not the east part where we will go. However, the Tourism Administration has now released alerts on tours to Africa. We are requested to hold on the promotion till the situation there is getting better.<<

OMG - Ridiculous!!!

You can't just blame the Chinese - most people across the world are ignorant of these simple facts re the geography of the continent.

2 people like this

Oh dear. Now Democratic Republic of Congo reporting 2 cases, but a different strain apparently? Testing was done by the country, but WHO is going to re-test on Monday (which it already is in Africa)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/25/world/africa/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

1 person likes this

OMG - Ridiculous!!!

You can't just blame the Chinese - most people across the world are ignorant of these simple facts re the geography of the continent.

i'd been quite militant about my views about how far West africa is to southern or eastern Africa here as well. everyone seems to think Africa is this tiny country that's no larger than singapore. seriously? but because i've been so militant about it, my family has decided to abandon the discussion and to leave me alone. :wacko: so now i can go to zambia in some peace.

7 people like this