twaffle

Many of your crossing shots give the feeling of watching a performance on a stage. The young giraffe running from monsters is probably a good description of the mindset of that little guy. You have some excellent work from this trip!

Thanks Lynn, probably the most productive trip I've been on as far as bringing home usable images.

i love the heron picture and that one with tactile elephants touching each other with their trunks. we should learn how to behave like them! well, except chasing other animals away from waterholes and pushing big trees down......

Eh? How did I not see this? Great introduction and glad to see a cat thrown among the pigeons. Coincidentally I was considering a plain and informative trip report (kind of opposite to your "reduced" report) but I have chickened out!

So you were looking forward to the Baobabs this year too? Of course I was looking forward for the previous two years as well, but it just dodn't work out. This year was better but.... well, that is another story for later. You got some beauties, of which my favorite is the one at the breakfast spot, although I really like the three in a triangle too.

Otherwise on page one, the monochrome mother dusting and calf and the elephant shaking the tree are wonderful shots. Brilliant.

Probably I will find on page two that a debate ensues and I have now said the wrong thing. I should check page two first. Will I? Noooooo way. :D

Page two was great too. I love Tarangire. We had to stop there both ways going to Ruaha and I so, so wanted to get out of the plane!

Beautiful photos throughout - especially eye-opening are the shots of tha landscape and animals in the lanscape. They create a wonderful atmosphere.

Clouds over Ngorogoro - superb. Love to see the serval, and the rhino.

You have shown the crossings really well, and described the heartbreak. I confess that it is a great wildlife spectacle that I do not want to see, even though it does have its positives for other creatures, and probably for the strength of the species. I admire very much the way you have shown it and the humanity you bring to your writing and pictures.

I love the liioness in long grass, and the reassuring elephant!

I really like the first of the two male lion photos; there are some unexpected red/purple colors in the grass and in his fur, when you really look at it. Beautiful.

I haven't heard of the "Spark your dream" family and am admittedly curious, but I can't imagine focusing on anything but the animals at that moment.

Edit: forgot to mention the unsheathed claws on the lion cub; very nice detail.

Edited by Marks

Great landscapes and three superb blurs stand out for me, photographically, but there are so many goodies. And although told many times before your tale of the wildebeest is very movingly done and spot on. Great report with few words used or necessary. True we have seen it all before, but equally true that we haven't seen it quite like this. Bravo!

Thank you everyone for all the comments and for taking the time to pick out photos which takes some commitment, I know. :)

There's more, right?

Hard task master! :rolleyes:

Yes, there's plenty more.

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent trip report, wonderful photos and and storytelling, all kicked off with a poem that is near and dear to my heart. My father was taught by Robert Frost when he went to Dartmouth College in the 1950's, and we have some personal notes from him that I love reading from time to time.

Thanks Safariguy, I'm glad that you enjoyed the poem and I'm a little envious that your father knew Robert Frost. What talent.

THe leopard with the pink sky wwas certainly worth the wait.

Seconding an appreciation for that sky, especially where it gradients into purple.

Twaffle, I have just read your TR to date and enjoyed the photos of the clouded crater and the buffalo gym.

I sometimes wonder how hard life is for animals that lack courage amongst their peers - I've never forgotten the trials of a timid puppy at the hands of its siblings and careless young owner I saw in 2001 in Varanasi and in my rare, darker moments wonder at its life, short I suspect.

Great serval sighting and how special to see a serval kitten!

The wildebeest photos are very evocative and the action shots capture the mayhem at a crossing. I too would have been shocked and saddened to see the poor wildebeest cow's struggles.

Morkel Erasmus

Well, @@twaffle, been meaning to get to this TR for a while and finally caught up. Having never been to Tanz, only to the Mara Triangle, I quickly was able to figure out your position by looking at the Mara kopjes which I recognised as those around Mara Serena, as well as the Oloololo Escarpment and your position on the river. It truly is one connected ecosystem eh?

Loving the images and stories and will look forward to how this unfolds.

The leopard with pink sky is a dream shot for me - well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what a magnificent trip report, filled with even more magnificent photos.

I am quite sure your work inspires more people than it scares off!

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Christopher Moran

Lovely trip report Twaffle. In which month where you at Serian?

And then she was gone.

In past years, January has been a travel month for you. What about 2015? Or did the trip with your daughter take the place of a January getaway?

I know this report isn't finished but I keep forgetting about it so will try to tidy up the end and make some additional comments with the distance of time and space.

Thanks Morkel and Peter for the encouragement, much appreciated.

@@Christopher Moran I was at Serian in late July and although we hadn't targeted river crossings as such, we had a total of (I think) 7 of which we decided to view 4. It was a busy time for the migration but you can never tell I guess. In fact, the Serengeti was just fabulous.

@@Atravelynn … thanks, I'm unsure of my 2015 safari plans at the moment although we do have a family trip planned for January, it is not safari related. I promised my daughter that I wouldn't plan any big trips as it's her last year at school and we have quite a bit on. However, there are a few opportunities that have just raised their heads which might be possible including visiting friends of my parents who spend a month each year at the Muthaiga Club and have asked if I'm likely to be around. It's fun going into the old Club which has changed very little since we used to be members so it's always tempting! The reality though is that I feel that any trip I'm likely to do will be very low key and last minute. 2016 plans, however, are well underway so all is not gloomy in our neck of the woods. ^_^

I wasn't sure if "and then she was gone" was the subtle and symbolic ending to your report or not. She being leopard or Twaffle. So it is just the leopard that is gone, at least for now, and there is more in store! Take your time between installments.

What are the 2016 plans?