See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Show us your Tapirs

Malaysia Sumatra Thailand South East Asia South America Brazil Peru Ecuador Central America Costa Rica

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Local time: 03:32 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this thread @inyathi - I just now noticed it for the first time.   Besides sharing your good photos, you gave an outstanding introductory briefing about tapir species!

And wonderful photos - thanks to @SafariChick @michael-ibk @TonyQ and @ellenhighwater.   I did not know baby tapirs were stripey like deer fawns!

• SafariChick and TonyQ like this
https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#22 Atdahl

Atdahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

I am really excited that I can finally contribute to this thread.  A Tapir has been on my list to see for a long time and it finally happened in the Pantanal last September.

As others have said, there is a nice pond you can stake out at Pouso Alegre.  It was here that we got our very first looks at a Brazilian/Lowland Tapir.  It wasn't a great look what with it being pitch black, but it counts!

DSC_0712-1_edited-1-L.jpg

Then, later than night we cruised the road at Pouso Alegre and found another Tapir eating right next to the road:

DSC_0721-1_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_0727-1_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_0731_edited-1-L.jpg

But, we weren't done yet.  As we were leaving Pouso Alegre for our drive to Porto Jofre and approaching the Transpantaneira, we spotted this...

DSC_1567_edited-1-L.jpg

What a thrill it was to watch this Tapir for about a half hour in this pond:

DSC_1572_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_1587_edited-1-L.jpg

Pesky flies...

DSC_1611_edited-1-L.jpg

I couldn't have dreamed of better encounters than we had at Pouso Alegre.

Our luck continued at Barranco Alto where we saw 4 more Tapirs but only one was close enough for pictures:

DSC_6347_edited-1-L.jpg

I can now cross the Brazilian Tapir off my bucket list.  Now, time to find the other 4 species... :) .

• inyathi, michael-ibk and Peter Connan like this

The good man is the friend of all living things - Mahatma Ghandi

Main Photo Gear:

Nikon D7100, Nikon D300, Nikkor 200-500mm, Nikkor 70-300mm, Nikkor 16-85

http://www.focusedonnature.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Malaysia, Sumatra, Thailand, South East Asia, South America, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Central America, Costa Rica

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.