Rwanda self drive

travelww

Next month we will visit Volcanoes NP in Rwanda. Afterwards we want to self drive to Nyungwe NP along Lake Kivu, via Kibuye. Does anyone know if it possible to do that in 1 day?

Towlersonsafari

Hello there.We were driven by a guide from Kigali to Nyungwe in 2005 and with a couple of breaks it took all day, if that helps.There was an interesting museum about half way.It was certainly worth the trip, and the guided walks were very good.Where are you staying?

Hi Towlersonsafari, thanks but I assume you took another road. We intend to drive from Volcanoes NP via Kibuye to Nyungwe, not via Kigali. I am trying to find out how the road conditions are because there are lots of gravel road along Lake Kivu.

In Volcanoes NP we will stay in Jack Hanna's Lodge, in Nyungwe NP we will stay in Nyungwe Forest Lodge. This trip is on my to do list for more than 20 years and I really look forward to it.

We drove to Gisenyi from Ruhengeri in 2005 in an hour or 2. All the main roads are fantastic up to that point.The Lake Kivu road to Nyungwe is supposed to be terrible though so you might want to break the journey in Kibuye.I was not a fan of Gisenyi though so I would stop in Kibuye instead.