Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paolo

Emotions and desert elephants

6 posts in this topic

Yip, good article.

Well said. I'd like to read her thoughts in more detail, especially regarding:

I am glad over-population was mentioned by some correspondents and add two other of the biggest challenges facing our planet – affluent consumerism and the gap between the haves and have nots.

Human overpopulation (worldwide) has been on my mind a lot lately...it appears to be wildly unsustainable and yet never really talked about in US politics. But maybe that's a topic for another time. Thanks for the link!

Posted (edited)

Human overpopulation is the (biggest) elephant in the room, for sure!

Edited by Jochen
2 people like this

Just read the article, and I'm sorry but I cannot agree. Somehow my suspension of disbelief does not kick in when I read that the Namibian Government is issuing those permits "to head off direct action against elephants by some local people, as well as generate some income for communities". What a joke!

The truth is that the government doesn't care at all for the Kunene region, and they care even less for the local tribes there (lots of Himba).

To give you but one example; about two decades ago, the government forbid those local tribes to lease out their lands to ecotourism operators. The reason; they wanted mine in that area (like all along the Kunene river). Geo tests soon showed that the area was worthless for mining. However, the moratorium on land-lease was never revoked. So lodges all started making deals with communities anyway. But any deal between a lodge near the river and the neighbouring community is worth absolutely zero in the eyes of the government.

If you ask anyone from that area (community members as well as lodge owners) why the government treats their area that way, the answer is always; "the government does not want to allow the communities any financial stability".

Grrrr. Arrrggghhh.right just getting rid of my unhelpful,silly useless emotion.very important not to let emotion interfere with trophy hunting.It was emotion that caused elephants to be endangered in the first place.Not hunting. oh no.

We never allow emotion when watching wildlife either.

1 person likes this