Kwando Lagoon/Lebala June/July 2014

madaboutcheetah

More cheetahs, lions, and the birds. What a productive location, time and time again. Your insightful comments on the evolution of Kwando were also helpful. If there is anyone who could serve as the Kwando historian, it is Hari!

Edited by Atravelynn

• 3 weeks later...

@@madaboutcheetah - Something I wondered from Id1's photos of a one-eyed hyaena at Mana Pools, in your years at Kwando and ST's Kwando historian, did you ever see for yourself, or hear much of the big, half-blind hyaena at Lebala / Lagoon?
When I was there I was told she was apparently a large, powerful and aggressive individual known for stealing the kills of wild dog packs, leopard and cheetah single handedly, and often rallying others to mob and steal from lionesses. She sounds like quite a character!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Lynn .....

@@Big_Dog - Yes, i do believe I saw her in the mid 2000s - maybe 2005 I saw her and her clan feed on a dead hippo? I think she was more at Lebala. You will find interesting photographs once published in Africa Geographic by famous photographer from France - Christophe Courteau. Google his website - you might still find those images.

• 2 months later...

I have followed this forum with great interest, especially since we will be going to the three Kwando camps, Little Kwara, Lebala, and Lagoon in Mid June 2015. Any recommendations as to which guides we should be looking at / considering for those camps. Any help would be appreciated!!

madaboutcheetah

I have followed this forum with great interest, especially since we will be going to the three Kwando camps, Little Kwara, Lebala, and Lagoon in Mid June 2015. Any recommendations as to which guides we should be looking at / considering for those camps. Any help would be appreciated!!

Little Kwara - Hobbs (I don't know who else guides from camp, as I have not been in a long time)

Lagoon and Lebala (I would recommend Spencer as a private guide - does cost extra) ........ If not, I would request for Paul at Lagoon and for Lebala - Bate

madaboutcheetah

@@xcrunch - there is also funny man, Thabo at Lebala. Although, I've not been guided by Thabo - I do know that he is one of Kwando's senior guides and know him very well from over the years ...... Bate is a recent tracker turned guide and I highly recommend him!!! He has a phenomenal work ethic which to me is very important.

At Lagoon, I would hope you end up with Spencer or Paul (If you don't book Spencer as a private guide - there is a good chance that he is busy with another private guiding assignment). Can't recommend anyone else, as I have no personal experience (doesn't mean they are not good)

Just been to 4 Kwando camps Nov/Dec 2014 including Lagoon and Lebala, and thanks to Hari's (madaboutcheetah) recommendation some time ago, we asked our TA if Paul was available at Lagoon (Spencer was on a private) and we were lucky to find upon arrival that we were with Paul. Couldn't fault him at all. Has to be one of the best.

In 2010 we were at Lebala and had Thabo, again very knowledgeable and a good sence of humour.

I will be doing a report on our trip in the New Year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

madaboutcheetah

@@CDL111 - I do look forward to your report after the holidays ..... Merry Christmas

Ah ..... Paul did message me to say that he had a guest recommended by me recently and it all went well. Now I know it was you! ;)

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah

Strange, that you recommend Paul. We were not really happy with him.

sorry to hear that, Thomas - He guided my relatives in March at Lagoon and they thought he was professional to the T ..... My recommendation goes on that - they thought he was on par with Hobbs at LK (That's pretty high a standard i thought) ..... It's all relative, I suppose and guiding is such a personal thing.

For example., I was under whelmed in Tanzania in March 2013, when I was so badly let down by a certain guide(marketed by an American TA) who IMHO is no more than a driver (at best) ..... I was so deflated, I haven't even edited half those images as of yet..... Just no motivation - just the thought of him puts me off (eek)

Edited by madaboutcheetah

I've had both Bate,and Hobbs as my guides at Little Kwara and rate both of them very highly. I'll never forget Bate pointing out all the stars to me on a night drive. I also consider Matt an excellent guide,especially when he was working with Elmo.Matt seems to have another pair of eyes on the back of his head.

Bate was excellent on the 2 days he was guiding us in Lebala. We liked Matt very much at Lagoon in 2012.

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

This video just posted to Youtube today is the same two boys that feature in this report ..... Jeez!!! Their home range is HUGE ....... Motswiri camp courtesy Raw Botswana INC is all the way down the spillway!!!

• 2 months later...

post-49296-0-69012700-1429289445_thumb.jpg

~ @madaboutcheetah:

This is the first image I've ever seen of a pangolin's tongue in action.

Fascinating photography!

Sitting at my desk studying your pangolin photo provides an entirely fresh understanding of the animal.

Safaritalk is such a blessing to nature lovers, as gifted wildlife photographers like you share glimpses of life which are seldom seen or publicized.

I really appreciate your writing and the pangolin images.

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

Well ......... Just like last year, the dogs are denning at the Lebala end of the concession again. No idea yet about number of puppies.......

There's got to be other packs of dog at Lagoon, though .......... Got to go up north to Muvumbi ;)

Was at Lebala when they found the den. Bates along with Hobbs went of foot to search them out around June 15th. (About two weeks later than last year) I will give more details in my trip report, but there is only 18 dogs left as one female is no longer there.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @@xcrunch - look forward to your Lebala segment later on .......

• 2 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

Well .......... 8 puppies at the Lebala den is what I saw on the Kwando FB page.