See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

malaria self test kits false negative results

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

A  while ago I heard a BBC radio broadcats  from their health report.  There  is some  concern with the use of those over the counter  self test kits for malaria, if the result is positive that is correct.

However, now some of the negative resukt are false as the person using the test has not waited enough time  for any disease to develop.

I do not think that they mentioned an exact period to wait between being bitten  and taking the test.

I cannot find the report either using google or the BBC

Here is a Unicef item about these devices but it is a few years old

http://www.unicef.or...rapid_tests.pdf

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,820 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

If you have symptoms that could be malaria, I would suggest seeking medical help, not relying on a test kit

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

the test kit is cheap and quick, but as recently revealed not always the best thing to do

it is much better to go to a clinic

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.