- Puzani Primary with 57 Grade 1 enrollments
- Davata Primary with 36 Grade 1 enrollments
- Samu Primary with 65 Grade 1 enrollments
- Gwaivhi Primary with 70 Grade 1 enrollments
- Maose Primary with 43 Grade 1 enrollments
All schools lie along the southern boundary of Gonarezhou National Park or further south in the Sengwe Corridor Area. Attached is the invoice receipt from African Wildlife Conservation Fund:
Dr Rosemary Groom
Field Projects Director, Zimbabwe
African Wildlife Conservation Fund
Cell: +263 (0)773 268219
Happy Readers is a specifically constructed reading scheme for young African children with English as a second language. Our books teach them to learn to read in English successfully and easily. We are approved by the Ministry of Education in Zimbabwe and Zambia for use in schools and are in line with curriculum requirements.
Literacy in many African countries stands at around 20%. Schools that are using the Happy Readers program are achieving around 89% literacy. A Happy Readers program has a start and finish point, measurable outcomes and can be tailored to fit budget requirements. Donors are able to implement the program directly or through Happy Readers project management.
Our series of books makes it fun for children to learn to read and for the teachers to teach! The books are set in Africa using African animals as the characters and the storylines are easy for children in Africa to relate to. We use familiar settings, both rural and urban to help with word recognition and thus make the learning easy. The pictures and stories are fun and adventurous, encouraging the children to WANT to read the story. The books are brightly colored, fully illustrated and printed on high quality gloss paper to make them durable. We use a condensed reading scheme covering the required learning as opposed to many schemes that require 20 plus books. Happy Readers comprises of a series of structured reading books per level/grade, complemented by Teachers and Classroom resources as well as a specifically designed Literacy Test. The books also include Parents and Teachers Notes in the vernacular languages for Zambia and Zimbabwe. Happy Readers are designed so that anyone who can already read, can use them to teach from. The program is structured in a simple manner making it easy for donor organizations, teachers and pupils to use, as well as monitor results and track improvements. A Happy Readers program contains all you need to learn or teach to read!
Happy Readers are particularly appropriate for different types of interventions as they can be used by qualified or unqualified teachers – responsible tourism, voluntourism, safari organisations as well as direct education projects.Happy Readers also promote messages of good behaviour, as well awareness of environmental issues, social welfare, conservation themes and community displacement within the story lines. Happy Readers programmes are designed to educate and uplift the community by enabling the children to read, and lays the groundwork for conservation education. Developing literacy in children gives a lifelong benefit and also helps the adult community to become more aware of issues as well as being proactive towards donors and conservation messages – a virtuous circle that encompasses the needs and aspirations of the community with the imperative of wildlife conservation.
However, some generic suggestions include:
- Fund the acquisition of the books by schools that want them but cannot raise the funds.
- Use them in catch-up programmes to develop basic reading skills in slightly older children.
- Run and fund workshops on developing early childhood literacy, so that teachers and others can use the systems effectively in developing early childhood literacy.
- Incorporate the books into existing intervention programmes as non-cash assistance which is directly relevant.
- Consider specialized Early Childhood literacy programmes which leverage the current & future material.
- $50 per set of 9 books
- $1000 – provides 20 sets of books for approx 60 children – a class in a school
- $2,000 – provides 40 sets of books for approx 120 children
- $5,000 – provides 200 sets for approx 600 children
Happy Readers All You Need to Read!
P O Box BW 773
00 263 772 386 163