European brown hares

kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Hi folks. @@BigBaldIan and I spent yesterday with a local photographer photographing brown hares. Still need to sort through all my pics but this is one of the best ones so far..

14217581982_972f9c3b7e_b.jpgP5186338 adj by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Game Warden

You've had more than enough time to process more - where are they? ;) What camera and lens combo were you using? Did you use a bean bag etc?

kittykat23uk

Feh! Ok here's another shot!

14217897272_eec53ae266_b.jpgP5187023 adj by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

I use my Olympus E-5 and 50-200 f2.8 to 3.5 lens, 1.4 converter. Lying camouflaged on the ground, used beanbag am, and tripod in afternoon, trying to get some portrait shots. Tried various settings...

14221409385_c775d3a7db_b.jpgP5197074 adj by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

BigBaldIan

The hare in the second shot looks so disgruntled.... :lol:

Game Warden

Great shots!

@@kittykat23uk

These are great pictures -the low angle really helps

Excellent!

kittykat23uk

Many thanks!

I tried to be selective and choose a portfolio of the very best. Despite filling a 16gb card and then some, there are just a few that stand out for me.

14053198350_bb97e34870_b.jpgP5197444adj by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

14237547232_1108fd726b_b.jpgP5186344 adj by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

14260066653_39a31a855a_b.jpgP5186920 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

14239882985_c923e0e2c1_b.jpgP5187014 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

14239613894_d3d4edb6c3_b.jpgP5197481adj 2 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
BigBaldIan

Just to put things into perspective (groan), we were both in full DPMs, underneath camo netting on a groundsheet. I never realised how staying still in one position could be so physically taxing.

Safari Cal

Just to put things into perspective (groan), we were both in full DPMs, underneath camo netting on a groundsheet. I never realised how staying still in one position could be so physically taxing.

If only you'd brought a pillow... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Peter Connan

Excellent! Love the head-on one in the last batch!

kittykat23uk

Thank you! :)

• 5 years later...

My new lens finally arrived yesterday - all of the trips it was to be used on are now cancelled :o

However in the first hour of use at home I got my first usable photos of a wild barn owl as well as some shots of local brown hares:

MFH_4550.jpg.16f6f3682b905cfb64649fb1c028c505.jpg

Nikon D500, PF500 + 1.4TC, f/8, 1/640 sec, ISO 360

Lucky you. That lens is on many a wish list. It must be hugely frustrating not to be able to take it on safari. 

On the bright side, by the time you can get away you will be thoroughly familiar with it.

congrats on the PF! Is your Svalbard trip officially cancelled?

4 hours ago, janzin said:

congrats on the PF! Is your Svalbard trip officially cancelled?

Thanks Janet. At the moment the trip is not cancelled. The vessel is operated by Polar-Quest  but I purchased through another company. The company I booked with has just sent a holding e-mail. Polar-Quest indicate that decisions on trips in May will be taken after April 14th and not less than 2 weeks before departure. I'm not surprised that they will delay a final decision at the moment but I find it very difficult to believe that we will be back to business as normal in the next two months......

@Soukous  It has been great exploring opportunities for finding wildlife close to home. Some spots can be reached on foot (we live in a rural area and should be able to continue walking whatever happens) and others are only a short drive. 

And with summer coming up I will have to learn about macro photography 😀

• 2 years later...
Towlersonsafari

so, the cottage we were staying at in east yorkshire  also had brown hares as neighbours. we noticed that at about 6.25ish am a hare would run along the lane and so, one morning, i sneaked out and stood by the corner, doing my best garden gnome impression, and the hare trotted by- which was nice

_5180506_DxO.jpg

_5180510_DxO.jpg

_5180518_DxO.jpg