Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Zambia Help please ...... Lusaka/Livingstone

13 posts in this topic

Dear All,

Here we go again ....... more visa nightmares!!! SA seems completely inept and incompetent. Short staffed at both their consulates resulting in delays that run over a month!

My alternate to get to Bots is via Zambia. I can fly into Lusaka(Emirates) and connect to Livingstone. Get to Kwando via Kasane instead of Maun.

Questions .......

1.) How much connection time do I need at Lusaka to clear customs etc etc., and connect to LVI? Is 90 minutes enough?

2.) What hotel recommendations do you have for both Lusaka and LVI?

Thanks a bunch,

Hari

sorry to hear of your on-going trouble Hari. In this day and age it is pathetic that a country as advanced as SA cannot sort out their visa process better. Even more so that they require visa from fellow BRICSA citizens.

90 minutes should be enough time in Lusaka, It is not a big airport, but that assumes your inbound flight arrives on schedule.

The only hotel I know in Livingstone is the A'Zambezi. It is pretty good with a nice waterfront location.

Thanks @@Soukous

Sorry to learn of your dilemma. I don't have advice. Lusaka airport is very small.

1 person likes this

90 minutes should be plenty at Lusaka.

It's a small airport and immigration is fast

I was quite fond f the Taj Pamodzi the couple of times I've stayed there (work and pleasure)

The inky place I stayed in Livingstone was the Royal Livingstone which was a bit colonial for my taste but certainly comfortable

Dear All,

Here we go again ....... more visa nightmares!!! SA seems completely inept and incompetent. Short staffed at both their consulates resulting in delays that run over a month!

My alternate to get to Bots is via Zambia. I can fly into Lusaka(Emirates) and connect to Livingstone. Get to Kwando via Kasane instead of Maun.

Questions .......

1.) How much connection time do I need at Lusaka to clear customs etc etc., and connect to LVI? Is 90 minutes enough?

2.) What hotel recommendations do you have for both Lusaka and LVI?

Thanks a bunch,

Hari

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@madaboutcheetah. I think 90 minutes should be fine as the Lusaka airport is quite small and we got through the formalities quickly. We stayed at the Zambezi Sun in Livingstone. It's quite large but right beside the Falls which was great. We just walked through a back gate and were at the Falls. Hotel guests can go in at any time and don't pay an entry fee so we popped over there a number of tines during the day. We enjoyed staying there. The Royal Livingstone is next door and looked very nice but is more expensive. We did have some good meals there.

The visa situation sounds bizarre!

Edited by Pennyanne
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys for all your inputs - certainly helpful ....... Yes, if I was to o/n at LVI, certainly won't need anything fancy ....... just to get round these bizarre visa rules and delays......

Here's the bizarre part - Technically, I can still fly SAA into JNB ........ but, will have to connect to Livingstone instead of Maun to get to Kwando(Transit visa is not required by SA for travel to Zambia). However, given the ineptitude of SA - I am going to try to avoid SAA and JNB all together (why bother giving them any business) ....... unless they get their consulate issues sorted out in the next couple of weeks.......

@@espn24 - love the screen name!!!! I can watch sportscenter 24 hours for sure!

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Hari

I agree with others above. 90 mins should be plenty of time in Lusaka to clear customs and catch your Livingstone flight.

As far as Lusaka hotels go I wouldn't have a clue. It has been many years since I set foot in a hotel in Lusaka.

If you are only in Livingstone a short time then I suppose the Zambezi Sun would probably be your best bet. It is very fake-Africa and totally un Zambian in appearance and furnishing, but as mentioned it is right next to the falls, just a short walk, and access to the falls for ZS guests is free (part of the accommodation price).

1 person likes this

I can also recommend Zambezi Sun in Livingstone. Proximity to the Falls is excellent.

Check out Expert Africas recommendations for Lusaka hotels. http://www.expertafrica.com/zambia/lusaka-area

I have stayed at Eight Reedbuck twice. It is a small hotel with huge rooms and is a nice place to stay - only downside is service is a bit slow

1 person likes this

Thanks @@Zim Girl and @@ZaminOz for your added inputs ...... I just had a chat this afternoon with the other 3 members who are going with me on this trip, they want to take the opportunity to see the Falls as they've not seen it before. We also, want to avoid all the anxiety and paranoia with the SA situation with their consulate's inefficiency. It will hence just be an O/N before moving on to Kasane........ the Zambezi Sun will more than suffice.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and suggestions - will update once all is under control i.e., bookings for flights, transfers and visas ..........

Regards

Hari

1 person likes this

I also recommend the Zambezi Sun. Large and busy but good facilities, great location and good value.

If you do need Lusaka, then I can recommend the Intercon. Not very exciting but easy...

1 person likes this

Thanks @@LynneB

Quick update - First of all, thanks for everyone's help with the great information. As it stands, it appears the SA Consulate have got their act together ........ Going to take a shot and go the JNB route (like normal people do) ;) .......... Already got our Bots visas stamped and processed - they were super efficient this time and Thanks to all the help from Kwando to push things along from the Bots side to expedite this.