See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Laura82

yellow fever shot

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After hearing @African stories, I'd go for the YF shot! Esp. if delays are incurred.

I am tearing through the new house looking for Malarone pills I had packed (tons, both my doc and hubby's doc prescribed enough for months!) and our insurance conveniently covered them.

Might find them by Feb :blink:

Edited by graceland

Another "Get the shot" from me.

My probably most dangerous Africa experience: We flew from Tanzania to Zanzibar. Our plane was early(!) and landed almost simultaneously with a plane coming in from Kenya. The officials (who did not speak English) believed I came from Kenya, and a YF pass was mandatory for people coming in from there, so they wanted to vaccinate me at the airport.

I pretended to not understand them, just smiled and laughed at them, waved Good Bye and simply went out. I was really, really glad that they didn´t quite know what to do, just shrugged and didn´t come after me.

2 people like this

I pretended to not understand them, just smiled and laughed at them, waved Good Bye and simply went out.

Good strategy for so many situations.

@Africlan, very scary. Your account may send some people to the clinic and may permit them to avoid their own scary story. Is your sister ok?

By the way, @@Atravelynn , I read that the thing about side effects going up after 60 is only when you're having the vaccine for the first time after 60, not later boosters. (though maybe those will no longer be required soon from what I read on this thread).

Oh, I was planning out my entire travel future so that I'd get a YF shot before it was dangerous due to age but as late as possible to give me 10 years of travel before I had to decide about getting one over 60 when the risks go up. Planning forward all those years from age 24 was quite a task! -_-. Now maybe I don't have to worry about it since I've had some YFs already and a booster is no big deal. Great!

1 person likes this

Hi Lynn

My sister is fine thanks - 20 years ago she was on her first posting with the UK Foreign Office and very naive on the corrupt practices prevalent in so many places, not just in Africa. Lets just say she wouldn't fall for it now!

The "what-if" is one from our collection - fortunately we already had our YF certificates as were returning to Kenya after Tanzania so the delay was just an inconvenience & we didn't have to spend it in the airport.

Hi Lynn

@Africlan, very scary. Your account may send some people to the clinic and may permit them to avoid their own scary story. Is your sister ok?

My sister is fine thanks - 20 years ago she was on her first posting with the UK Foreign Office and very naive on the corrupt practices prevalent in so many places, not just in Africa. Lets just say she wouldn't fall for it now!

The "what-if" is one from our collection - fortunately we already had our YF certificates as were returning to Kenya after Tanzania so the delay was just an inconvenience & we didn't have to spend it in the airport.

Posted (edited)

I read that the thing about side effects going up after 60 is only when you're having the vaccine for the first time after 60, not later boosters. (though maybe those will no longer be required soon from what I read on this thread).

We, my husband and I, also had our first YF shot at the age of 63. And it was absolutely no problem, no side effects etc.

The doctor at the "Tropeninstitut" told us, that the time of the ugly side effects are gone a long time ago.

Beate

Edited by ReiseBeate

Update: felt better, throat not hurting any more, canceled appointment with my primary care dr. Called travel clinic back and said I wanted to reschedule the shot. He remembered my whole story, said fine, went in yesterday and got the shot - no problems so far!

2 people like this

Update: felt better, throat not hurting any more, canceled appointment with my primary care dr. Called travel clinic back and said I wanted to reschedule the shot. He remembered my whole story, said fine, went in yesterday and got the shot - no problems so far!

Good to hear! One tick off the box. Now get the malarone. My least fav. of all the drugs to take ( :( )

I am just over Bronchitis and Sinusitis, so happy I have my YF from years ago. I'd not be wanting one more drug in me. And the fact I've had no wine for 10days; good thing it was all before Xmas parties! That's what I get for volunteering the pouring rain.

1 person likes this

@@SafariChick glad to hear it! i got my first shot at age 54, and it was a painful jab ( i hate needles), but that was all to it. i'd forgotten about it from the following day. so you should be fine and you can relax now and properly look forward to the trip!

only 53 days (did i do the math right?) now and counting down....

@@Kitsafari I count 52 days for me til I leave from today so I think your math was right as of yesterday! Woo hoo! Yes I can relax and properly look forward for sure now :) @@graceland glad to hear you're feeling better. And I already got the malarone back in October! When I got it for my Zambia trip I asked for enough for this trip too so I wouldn't have to go back :)

@@SafariChick glad to hear it! i got my first shot at age 54, and it was a painful jab ( i hate needles), but that was all to it. i'd forgotten about it from the following day. so you should be fine and you can relax now and properly look forward to the trip!

only 53 days (did i do the math right?) now and counting down....

@@Kitsafari I count 52 days for me til I leave from today so I think your math was right as of yesterday! Woo hoo! Yes I can relax and properly look forward for sure now :) @@graceland glad to hear you're feeling better. And I already got the malarone back in October! When I got it for my Zambia trip I asked for enough for this trip too so I wouldn't have to go back :)

I'm packed :D

2 people like this

My YF certificate unfortunately expired at the end of last year so I recently had to go and have the booster vaccine in order to get a new certificate for my forthcoming return trip to Chad as having a valid certificate is one of the entry requirements. Thankfully I didn’t really suffer any ill effects other than not feeling that great afterwards but then I had been given a typhoid booster jab the day before so that may also have been the cause of my feeling slightly off. However I am extremely glad that I had not read this article in the Telegraph about the BBC Journalist Malcolm Brabant who apparently suffered severe psychosis after having the YF booster for an assignment in the Ivory Coast which rendered him unable to work, he is now involved in a court case with the manufacturer Sanofi Pasteur.

Malcolm Brabant: 'I suffered psychosis after a routine injection'

Brabant V Sanofi Pasteur Truth Now

I certainly wasn’t aware that the YF vaccine could have such serious side effects but it is one of the jabs that they are reluctant to give you unless absolutely necessary and when I went for my booster I did have to make it clear to the nurse that I really did have to have it.

What particularly annoys me about the fact that I had to have the YF booster jab is that it should be completely unnecessary because it has been known since about 2013 that a single dose of the vaccine may last a lifetime, however inexplicably the W.H.O. are only changing the rules regarding the certificates in June 2016. So after June next year the YF certificate will last you for your lifetime but until then it will still only last for 10yrs maybe this makes sense to the W.H.O. but it makes no sense to me.

Here’s a petition asking the W.H.O to update the International Health Regulations on YF now and not next year.

Aside from the risk of possible side effects it cost me £55 for this unnecessary jab just so I could get a new certificate. So I would suggest to anyone who has a certificate that has just expired or is about to expire before the rule change comes in to force that you adjust your travel plans accordingly and don’t go anywhere that requires you to have a YF certificate until after the rule change thus avoiding having to have an unnecessary booster jab.

1 person likes this

@@inyathi Thanks for your update and thoughts old chap.

Posted (edited)

Had our vaccinations last week for Tanzania trip this September.

Travelling from UK to Tanzania via Nairobi, only an hour or so changing planes.

So no Yellow Fever required.

However we were also concerned re if plane delayed and spend more than 12 hours at Nairobi then do need yellow Fever vaccine.

We had YF vacc in 2000 - valid for 10 years . When we went for our jabs they checked and YF jab now valid for 25 years and we were told that our jab ( which is specified on the certificate ) is the same one in use today, and that we are therefore still covered until 2025.

Edited by Julian
2 people like this

Very helpful information @@Julian. Hope mine is also of the most recent type. Had it renewed about 2010 so may be in luck

I've experienced first hand/witnessed officials in several African countries as well as airline check-in employees (in the US and Africa) insist that a YF shot is required in cases where I've read that it wasn't. We carry the YF card on all trips to Africa whether the CDC website, airline website or (African) governments' websites state that it's needed or not - it just avoids hassles and shake-downs.

I always carry my certificate (and other inoculations records) plus a few spare passport photos for countries that may require a photo for the visa.

Airline checkin staff at JKIA Nairobi are now requesting to see yellow fever certificates