See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Ready to go - Gujarat trip - 17days :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

Hello all,
I hope you all doing great and enjoying your photography and trips.
As I have made a plan to explore some off beat destinations of India, so now this time we are going Gujarat.
Very few people know about some very good and interesting places of it.
Like nal sarovar bird sanctuary, thol
bird sanctuary, black buck national park and it has lots of untouched places.
below are the places where I would travel through in 17 days.
I would start my journey from pench national park ( because I stay here so obviously I will have to start from here :P)
pench national park -> Ahemdabad-> Nal sarovar->Greater rann of kutch -> lesser rann of kutch -> Marine national park -> Gir national park -> Blackbuck national park-> Ahemdabad-> back to pench
As I have planned for 17 days but don't know about future as I will do overlanding with some guest.
Gujarats wilderness is very known for smaller species like jungle cat, caracal, Indian wolf, hyena, antelopes, desert fox, wild ass, hares.. it has also breeding ground of Harriers and bustards.

I m targeting some of the most rare species in this trip.
Like in Ahemdabad - Akshardham temple and sabaramati river front (ha ha off course I know they are not any species but trust me they are worth visiting and I will not miss them)
In Nal sarovar bird sanctuary -It is wetland area and some parts dry up in summer and become salt plains. All migratory birds and ducks like teals, cranes, stilts, shovelers, gees, swans, grebes, flamingos, pelicans, osprey, hawks, eagles, Harriers and lotss more found here.
Greater rann of kutch - It is big barren salt pan with dotted salt water holes which is perfect habitat for wild ass, Harrier, Chinkara, flamingoes, desert fox, owls, jungle cats etc.
Little ran of kutch -habitat is same as grater rann or kutch and very good habitat for hyenas, wolf, wild ass, desert fox, Indian fox, short eared owl, flamingoes, northern shovelers, stilts, plovers, pelicans.
This place is biggest feeding ground of India for greater and lesser flamingos. In winters close to one hundred thousands congregate here. Best time to see them is from Nov till march.
Marine national park- it lies on western coast or India and very good for marine life. One can find the various species of crabs if you will be lucky so you could see breeding turtle and migratory fishes.
Gir national park - teak forest mixed with bamboo. It is the only home of Asiatic lions in India. If you are lucky then you could see Biggest pride of Lions,
Along with lion you can see 33 various species of mammals, 300 species of birds. The larger mammals of Gir includes Asiatic lions, leopards, jungle cat, jackal, hyena, mongoose, ratel,civet cat, rusty spotted cat and desert cat also found here but are hard to spot. Gir has the largest population of marsh crocodile in any protected area.
Blackbuck national park - Total grassland with Acadia tree to give shade to animals which live there like blackbuck, jackal,blue bull,Indian fox, wild boar, porcupine hyena, wolf, jungle cat, francolins,pelicans, ducks, grebes, floricans, sand grouse and lots more.
Very interesting thing that it is worlds biggest breeding ground of Harriers.
One more very unique and rare species found here is Mud skipper. When you go to blackbuck national park try to drive outside the park close to mud patches there you can find lotss of mud skipper easily.
Back to Ahemdabad- Would taste Gujarati food and back to pench. from lions territory to tigers territory.

So next time when you make any plan of Gujarat then don't forget to miss these interesting places.

I hope my information would help you guys.
  • Pennyanne likes this

#2 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,512 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hope you have a great time. I went to Gujarat last year, you can see my trip report in the India trip report section :)

• Deeptiwildlifetraveler likes this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#3 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,874 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Have a wonderful time!

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#4 Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hope you have a great time. I went to Gujarat last year, you can see my trip report in the India trip report section :)

Hey we had a great time in Gujarat.. though it was bit hot in April but enjoyed lotss because the sighting of wild animals during morning and evening was very good.

I will definitely do another post of my trip with pictures.

I m sure you had a great time aswell with lots of sightings.

I will surely check your post of Gujarat trip.

#5 Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Deeptiwildlifetraveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

Have a wonderful time!

M sorry for bit late reply.. I had a great time in Gujarat. I will post pictures very soon.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.