Martial Eagle compared to Crowned Eagle. Visual differences etc

Game Warden

Game Warden

Following on from the Crowned Eagle topic here, what are the visual differences between Martial and Crowned Eagles?

Can we upload images, (that you have taken), of both immature vs mature, male vs female of each species and also talk about their habitats, behaviour, where you personally have seen them and where one is likely to see them when on safari.

Matt

have not seen a crowned eagle, but here is an adult martial eagle at Duba Plains

post-17651-0-88718800-1394513339_thumb.jpg

armchair bushman

I know I've got some images of an immature Martial in flight, but I can't seem to find them right now. Don't have any good crowned eagle photos (except what you saw in the previous thread). They're difficult to get.

Panthera Pardus

The Martial Eagle

All these photos taken in the Kgalagadi but have seen many martials in Kruger too

Juvenile

IMG_9086.jpg

IMG_9089.jpg

Adult

CB7A1190.jpg

The African Crowned Eagle

Have only seen one and that was in the Pafuri area in Kruger and at a distance in the shade of a tree. Chest is mottled and not spotted like in the Martial Eagle. My raptor guide says that the Martial Eagle can only be confused with a Juvenile Crown Eagle but the latter has spotted leggings wheras the martial has unmarked leggings

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

armchair bushman

From raptor biologist, Shiv Kapila, based in Naivasha, Kenya (from a comment on facebook): Best way is by the tail. Martials always finely barred, Crowneds have 3 or 4 broad bars. Then there's the habitat you see them in. Martails always more open, Crowneds rarely outside primary forest.

Edited by armchair bushman

madaboutcheetah

Has anyone any sightings of the Crowned in the Mara?

am i right to think this is a martial eagle? I saw this handsome dude in Mombo concession on March 6 2014.

P1020852.JPG

P1020859.JPG

oh the pix came out quite small. i tried to edit it again, but the pix is not that much bigger... i copied the URL from Picasa. did i miss out something?

Edited by Kitsafari

armchair bushman

Has anyone any sightings of the Crowned in the Mara?

Yes they are seen from time to time. There is definitely at least one mating pair in the Loita Hills to the East, because an immature crowned eagle has been seen in Naboisho on a number of occasions. Or perhaps they're nesting up on Ol Donyo Rinka or the Lemek hills to the North West.

And there very well could be a pair up in the forest at the top of the Siria/Oloololo escarpment. I've spent a bit of time up in that forest (can't remember the name right now), and it's definitely suitable habitat for them.