See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

10 PRIME RISK MALARIA COUNTRIES IN AFRICA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Local time: 12:23 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

http://www.nation.co...xz/-/index.html

This is from a esteemed medical journal , they are the main risk countries ,that does not mean it is safe elsewhere.

places which claim to be malaria free could well be so to promote tourism, the same placves are regarded as having an element iof risk by the Centre for disease control.

the prime risk countries are Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Guinea and Togo together account for 87 percent of areas that have the highest prevalence of malaria.

You can get it in much of Africa and it is becoming increasing dangerous and difficult to treat

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 BJlock

BJlock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

This is very timely for me, thank you! We are less than 2 months out for our trip to Bot & SA. I'm trying to figure out what/if Malaria tablets we'll need. We are in Wilderness Safari camps in Botswana (LV, Chitabe, DT). CDC shows pretty clearly these are malaria areas. But, WS documentation is pretty vague and our doc (that has never been) didn't seem to think we'd need tablets for this area. I tend to disagree, but I'm not a doctor!

Further, we are heading to SA Kwazulu Natal area (Rocktail & Phinda) for the last half. Pretty much everyone agrees that we need tablets for this area. My concern is that I don't want to start taking anything mid-way through our trip. What if we have weird reactions? I'd rather err on taking the whole time.

Last bit of complexity is that we'll be diving. Most I've read suggest Malarone as the least potential risk. Anyone have any comment or experience?

Anyway, thank you for posting this link.

#3 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

First of all check with your medical professional before taking any medication. With that disclaimer out of the way, in my view taking malaria meds is a must in most safari destinations unless it's clearly in a malaria free area. For most people, Malarone is the most side effect free of the malaria prophylactics In addition to taking the meds attempt to avoid getting bitten by taking common sense precautions such as using repellent ( I like clothes that are pre-treated with repellent), wearing long sleeves, using mosquito nets etc.

Just use common sense and take your malaria meds and you should be ok.
  • marg and BJlock like this

#4 firmin13

firmin13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 04:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

http://www.hpa.org.u...C/1203496943523

This is an interesting British document, and recent. If you take the time to read it, you realize that prophylaxis or stand-by meds should always be an individual decision of a traveller, based on a visit to a doctor experienced in travel medicine.

@BJlock: They recommend bite avoidance for Bots and chemoprophylaxis for KwaZulu (table starting on page 38). The CDC reports a very low risk of transmission for Bots and a low risk for SA, based on Malaria cases among returning US travellers (a high percentage might have taken prophylaxis, some may have been to the deserts only, though) 

In general, the recommendations have changed in the last years, with a trend to use less chemoprophylaxis than before. This may explain some of the contradictons one can find researching different sources.

f

#5 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,859 posts
  • Local time: 09:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

"Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Guinea and Togo together account for 87 percent of areas that have the highest prevalence of malaria, it said."

Copied from the article.  Thanks Cosmic Rhino!

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#6 KimberlyH

KimberlyH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 AM
  • Category 1:Travel Agent
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

I took Malarone 3 days prior to arriving in Kenya, during the trip and continued for 3 days after returning home at the instruction of my travel doctor.  It may be in in your best interest to meet with a Dr who specializes in travel medicine for peace of mind. They have the most up to date information on high risk areas & by understanding your medical background can advise you accordingly.  To follow up on what AKR1 said, pre-treated clothing will also be helpful. If your clothing is not pre-treated, you can buy a spray or wash to treat your clothes before your trip as an additional precaution.  Have a great trip  :) !

K I M   H E F L I N
Independent Luxury Travel Advisor

B R O W N E L L  | A Virtuoso Agency
p.302.547.8610 | f. 201.645.8358

Kim Heflin Travel on Twitter

#7 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,011 posts
  • Local time: 03:23 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

I usually recommend this site, which is the one most UK GP's will use when checking for risk of malaria.

http://www.fitfortra...stinations.aspx

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#8 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 03:23 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Most doctors say 1 Malarone day before travel and 7 days upon returning home.  In fact that is what it says on the packet.

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.