Best place to see a Pel's fishing owl?

Game Warden

I'm pretty sure you won't see one in Meru! :)

Sightings have been made along Tana and Rojeweru River but as it is mainly nocturnal and very few people looking for this (and no night game drives allowed) there are few observations.

• 3 months later...

I saw 2 in the Okavango,

The first one in 1998, at Xugana, when it was managed by Ian (also called the Lion Man) & Kathleen Mc Coll ,no pictures

And the other one, in 2006, at Pom Pom. Here is a picture :

post-48450-0-35120100-1409578139_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have not had much luck in SLNP, but many times in Okavango Delta, Xigera, Jacana, Kadizora, Kana Kara, most wet camp but especially towards the pan handle and in NG12.

The Okavango Delta is the only place where their number are increasing.

(Not sure how to load images directly from my picture library folder of my pc ??? else I would have loaded my images).

• 1 year later...

As @@Treetops has already mentioned, having repeated heard them (it?) from our camp on the bank of the Lufupa River in the Kafue, we did see one whilst on a drive downstream one morning - no photo though

• 1 year later...

Liwonde NP, Malawi.

Seen in May 2010.

It had a nest with a chick in a Baobab.

The guides in the Mvuu lodge did know the place.

@@Bush dog I'm dreaming that I'll finally see a Pel's Fishing Owl next year in South Luangawa, the Okavango Delta or perhaps Kafue. I need to write my list of dream birds because I have so many of them.

@@optig

I'm sure you will have some good opportunities and great chances to see one during your 54 days safari.

Bua River Lodge, Nkhotakota have a (not stunningly good) photograph on their website - lets see if I'm lucky in June!

Towlersonsafari

@@optig if it helps we saw 2 an adult and juvenile, on one night drive from mwamba bush camp in 2008

@Towleronsafari I've stayed twice at Mwamba Bush Camp which I loved,unfortunately I didn't see a single Pel's fishing owl. I need to write my own list of dream birds because I have even if I don't consider myself a twitcher. I love watching birds as much as anyone.

t

offshorebirder

Sightings have been made along Tana and Rojeweru River but as it is mainly nocturnal and very few people looking for this (and no night game drives allowed) there are few observations.

Quite right @@nhanq - I believe Sammy Mugo had one roosting in a tree on the Tana River in Meru NP a couple of years ago.

We saw five--two different pairs and a fledgling--all in a single day at Xigera a couple of years ago! So that's got to be one of the top spots!

pels_fishing_owl_8049a.jpg

pels_fishing_owl_8188b.jpg

Edited by janzin

• 2 weeks later...

Quite right @@nhanq - I believe Sammy Mugo had one roosting in a tree on the Tana River in Meru NP a couple of years ago.

Still in Meru with more recent sightings reported from Elsa's Kopje, like in this interview with Born Free's Will Travers.

"Will’s ornithological knowledge is impressive. He points out flocks of red-billed quelea, red-necked francolins, Eurasian rollers, a Pel’s fishing owl"

http://magazine.africageographic.com/weekly/issue-139/born-free-50-years-on/