Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What is the ONE thing which would put you off using a camp or lodge?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,732 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

We all have our views on what constitutes the ideal camp and what we try to include in our safaris.  Some of us are quite vociferous regarding what is acceptable and what is not and this covers the style of camp, the number of tourists catered for, the infrastructure, the guiding, the wild feel, the sort of animals likely to be seen and in what volumes … the list is endless.

I think that many frequent visitors would have at least one feature on which they will not budge and staying at a camp or lodge that had that feature would be unconscionable.  

So assuming everything is pretty much ideal is there ONE (note only one) thing that would turn you away from booking.  Any more than one and then it really isn't an ideal camp in the first place.

To give examples of my own: there are things that I don't rate highly such as preferring small tented camps with a low environmental impact over big lodges … but I will and have stayed at Sopa Ngorongoro because of its price and position.

I like wilderness areas with low tourists numbers but am a repeat visitor to the Masai Mara and the wider conservancy areas but always in the January, February period to reduce the possibility of huge crowds.

I don't like the idea of fenced conservancies but happily visit Lake Nakuru NP for its bird life; Aberdares as you'd never realise that they are fenced and Lewa WC although it does have a 'gap' even though I hate coming up against the fence.

I am wracking my brain to think of the one thing which would make me say no and I can't come up with just one.  Two or three together, certainly but then it probably wouldn't have been on my 'possibles' list.

I'd say no to a camp which had a swimming pool if it was in an arid area with no regard to water conservation … or would I?  What if it was the only possible place to stay and the area was especially attractive for a number of reasons.  

I think I'd sell my beliefs for access to somewhere that I really want to go and that's a salutatory lesson for me.

Depending on what answers I get, I may open a topic restricted to TWO features which would make you abandon a camp.  I think I could manage two.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,851 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

I think the permutations and combinations from all of the above, will narrow my choices and short list the desired safaris in Africa (given time and financial and logistical planning) .........

http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Yes, a fenced reserve would feel too much like an open range zoo to me. 

Geoff.

#4 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

Any camp in Sabi Sands :-)

Sorry this is not a dig and I know many people like it but this is the one thing I am 100% certain of. If I think of more, will add.

#5 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

Yes, I'm with @Anita re the SSGR - won't return there........

#6 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

I don't like fenced National Parks, as well as camps where the wildlife is barred from entering. I love hearing the sounds of all the wildlife at night. It's also important having wildlife even during the daytime. I remember not being able to leave my cottage at Kaingo for 45 minutes because there was a bull elephant in the door!!! This is what safari is really about.

#7 Soukous

Soukous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

@twaffle, I think you said it yourself but whilst there are many things that would put me off using a camp or lodge they only come into consideration if there is an alternative choice available.

Although I can't think of an example of a park with only one camp/lodge I can't imagine that I would boycott a park simply because I didn't like the only accommodation available.

I much prefer small camps to 'hotels in the bush' like Sopa lodges. BUT, not everyone can afford Lemala Ngorongoro and it is not ideal for older clients so I do use Sopa Ngorongoro. No-one complains.

One thing that would put me off though is a crap location. ( I mean really crap)  Why anyone would want to build a camp/lodge ina crap location I don't know, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

another one thing would be if someone whose opinion I respect tells me to avoid a camp or lodge and gives a good reason.

@Anita @madaboutcheetah - why don't you like Sabi Sands? It is certainly a bit cramped but if you like leopards it is one of the best places to get close to them.

edited to correct typos - big hands and computer keyboards were not meant for each other.

Edited by Soukous, 07 February 2014 - 10:00 AM.

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS
martin@wildlifephotographyafrica.com

www.wildlifephotographyafrica.com

Wildlife Photography Blog

Join me on safari in Tanzania in 2015

#8 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

@Soukous - the wait list at sightings(queue system), the size of the reserve, the terrain etc etc.,  I do agree with you - it has exceptional Leopard sightings, but, one can have those sightings in several other locations too...... 

#9 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

@Soukous I agree leopard photography would be great in Sabi Sands. In my view ( and just my personal view), thats not the same thing as a quality sighting. I have had some tremendous leopard sightings elsewhere in a number of places and some tremendous ones in store for me and the whole cramped, packed vehicle, hotel like feel and the radios and the sighting quotas puts me off. But this is not a criticism of SSGR- Just that I cannot say that I would never say in Ngorongoro Sopa even though I will try my best to avoid it, but I can safely say I would never get to SSGR. Rest camps and maybe a guided safari in Kruger with a guide I trust and know well - maybe even that ( though very less chances).

Re fences - Again this is probably hypocrisy in my end but I believe the fence in Lewa and Malilangwe to be different to the fence in Phinda- and it isnt at all. But I would not go to Phinda but will to the other 2 places. D

Anyway, Eastern CAR is where I really want to get so everything else is a moot point right now :P

Edited by Anita, 07 February 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#10 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Any place where they use a tracker to track the animals and a driver (in those places often called guide or ranger) to rush to those animals. Hell, I would want to go with the tracker!

My blog about my life and work in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia: http://egildroge.blogspot.com

#11 Whyone?

Whyone?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Only one?!

@twaffle you are a hard task manager!!!!

Well, whilst the aforementioned fences would be a big no-no for me, when I have the luxury of a week away when the time is 100% my own, I want it to remain that way - so as little contact with the outside world as possible is very important - no phones, no internet and ideally no other people, other than those I choose to travel with.

I appreciated this is a tad limiting!

#12 Soukous

Soukous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Anyway, Eastern CAR is where I really want to get so everything else is a moot point right now :P

Eastern CAR @Anita ?

I'm intrigued.. Assuming you mean Central African Republic, what is the attraction?

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS
martin@wildlifephotographyafrica.com

www.wildlifephotographyafrica.com

Wildlife Photography Blog

Join me on safari in Tanzania in 2015

#13 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

I don't like fenced National Parks, as well as camps where the wildlife is barred from entering. I love hearing the sounds of all the wildlife at night. It's also important having wildlife even during the daytime. I remember not being able to leave my cottage at Kaingo for 45 minutes because there was a bull elephant in the door!!! This is what safari is really about.

@optig so the entire Kruger is a no go zone then? We were able to hear lion and hyaena every night, although no large wildlife in camp as the rest camps are fenced

#14 SafariChick

SafariChick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'm curious if those of you who don't like Sabi Sands have been there or just heard things about it? I have only been to one camp there (Londolozi) but it was amazing, felt wild and there was not a lot of queueing.  It's true that someone who found something might radio it to another guide/tracker team and if there were already 3 vehicles there, we'd just drive over more slowly and look at other things on the way, but I see nothing wrong with that and I prefer that to a sighting that's packed with a lot of vehicles.

#15 SimplyRed

SimplyRed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Vehicles crammed full.  

I can take 4 in a vehicle -- in fact, I like the interaction.  Beyond that, and I'm out.  On our last trip to Botswana, only one camp (Savuti) put six in a vehicle.  We stayed in camp on two days to avoid being six and took a private vehicle on one other day.  It just feels too much like being on a bus.

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

T&T Images www.tonna.zenfolio.com

#16 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Dear Td Graves,

The fact that the camp itself is fenced demonstrates my point. I've never been to Kruger, but some people don't like the paved roads, and the sight of telephone poles. I do understand that it's cheaper than other National Parks.

#17 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Dear Simply Red,

Did you enjoy Savuti Camp? I'm strongly considering going there on my third trip to Botswana next year. I particularly enjoyed Lagoon(twice),Lebala, Little Kwara, as well as Tuba Tree and Muchenje. Thank you for your kind consideration.

#18 Whyone?

Whyone?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

The fact that the camp itself is fenced demonstrates my point. I've never been to Kruger, but some people don't like the paved roads, and the sight of telephone poles. 

I agree with you on this @optig

#19 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 3,496 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

@Anita in my trips to Sabi sand I have not encountered many vehicles, at most one or two vehicles. What I am not keen on with Sabi sands is the regimented bane drive times,would rather be out longer.

Kruger on the other hand can be very crowded at cat sightings...

The biggest thing that puts me off is too high cost. :)
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#20 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Well, if somewhere costs more than I can genuinely afford, it certainly puts me off, but that isn't really the answer @twaffle is looking for I suspect. So imagining that someone is treating me, and that value is guaranteed, the only things that I can think of that would absolutely stop me would be that management or owners treated staff without respect, or that the lodge or camp was known to have done something I consider unethical, without shame. 

Otherwise I'll manage to enjoy myself anywhere I think. Other things I just try to avoid, and there are plenty of them - some sensible, some a bit silly and some almost superstitious. 

Edited by pault, 07 February 2014 - 10:06 PM.

Waiting again... for the next time again

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.