Mana Pools Self Drive June 2014

SeanCharles

We have booked a 6 day trip to Mana Pools in June this year and would love some feedback/help on what to expect. We have 2 nights at campsite Nyamepi (site 20 on the riverfront), 3 nights at the BBC campsite and a night at Chitake 2 (could only get one night). There are 4 of us going in one vehicle. We are coming from Kariba Town. Any feedback on info from driving times, places to visit in Mana Pools, roads, camping requirements etc would be greatly appreciated as it is our first time here. Thanks.

@@SeanCharles Hey Sean, have you read the self driving Mana Pools trip report from @@Whyone? - Living with Elephants, Walking with Hyenas. Mana Pools 2013. That will give you some ideas and hopefully he'll chip in with some advice, as will @@Doug Macdonald.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked a 6 day trip to Mana Pools in June this year and would love some feedback/help on what to expect. We have 2 nights at campsite Nyamepi (site 20 on the riverfront), 3 nights at the BBC campsite and a night at Chitake 2 (could only get one night). There are 4 of us going in one vehicle. We are coming from Kariba Town. Any feedback on info from driving times, places to visit in Mana Pools, roads, camping requirements etc would be greatly appreciated as it is our first time here. Thanks.

Hi @@SeanCharles. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this. I imagine having booked a trip like this you have done a fair amount of research, so forgive me if I am telling you things you know already.

Photos of all of the check-points I mention below are included in the trip report Game Warden linked above.

In terms of driving to Mana from Kariba the following are approximate distances and times:

Kariba - (via Makuti - good place for breakfast / brunch / lunch and last fuel before Mana) Parks office Marongora (top of the Escarpment) ~75km, allow about 70 min's as the road up from Kariba, whilst tarred and in pretty good nick, is windy and slow. If you come across any animals - especially ele's - on this road, treat them with great care, they tend to be very skittish.

You need to report to the Parks office at Marongora before 3pm, or you will not be able to gain the necessary paperwork to enter Mana. I would recommend much earlier than 3pm - with the drive in, any delays will see you arriving after dark making setting up camp 'interesting!'

Marongora - Mana turn - only about 15km, but this is where the road snakes down the Zambezi Escarpment and with all the heavy traffic serving the mines in Zambia, DRC etc, is not for the faint-hearted. Take good care, keep away from the trucks, and keep a very close eye on what is happening behind you! Trucks loose control coming down this hill with alarming regularity.

The Mana turn-off is on your right and signposted reasonably clearly. A few 10's of yrds onto the dirt road, you will see Gate 1 where there is a manned boom, you will have to show your papers here.

Gate 1 - Gate 2 (Nyakasikane Gate). Again, road is controlled by a boom. About 40km on variable quality dirt road, you will cross the Rukomechi river and a decent quality bridge just before the gate. About 50 mins. This is quite a heavily used road, and at times gets very bady corrugated, Last October it had been properly graded, and the best I have known it for many years.

More paper checking and off you go - at the T junction turn left (signposted to Mana). A right turn here takes you to Chitake.

Nyakasikane-Parks office, About 38km, less than an hour driving. Report to the parks office. You can buy firewood here (collecting your own in the NP is forbidden).

Parks office - Nyamepi is only ~10 mins drive from the office.

I have never camped at Nyamepi, but know from talking to others who have that the monkeys - baboons and vervets - are a menace! You will have to lock everything away very securely when you go drive/walk-about. They have learnt how to break (rip their way) into tents, which is a real pain, but not much you can do other than not leave anything of value in your tents.

As I guess you know, for camping in Mana you need to be self sufficient - there are ablution blocks (recently refurbed. to a decent standard) at Nyamepi. At BBC and Chitake there are no facilities beyond a braii stand and a long drop toilet (thinking about it...for Chitake, scratch the toilet!)

When camping on the river (as you will be at BBC) we draw water from the Zambezi for showering, washing and cooking. If you do this - have someone on croc. watch whilst collecting water.

Depending on your vehicle, you fill with fuel at Makuti you should have enough fuel to drive in, drive about for 6 days and get back to Makuti, If you have any doubts about this, carry extra fuel.

If you pick up a puncture (very easy to do), the guys at main camp will fix the tyre for a few $'s.

If you have any specific questions - don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks @@Whyone? This is great info! If anything comes up I will ask...Much appreciated!

Hi @@Whyone?, can you please tell me where the best shops to pick up food supplies are. Does Kariba Town have enough supplies for a week long trip and/or are Makuti's shops well stocked? Thanks!

Hi @@SeanCharles

There is very little in Makuti beyond a fuel station, a small shop selling drinks, sweets and crisps, and the hotel / bar, so you would be well advised to stock up in Kariba where there are some decent shops.

What are you doing for cooling? You should be able to pick up blocks of ice if required in Kariba - the garage on your right as you come out of Kariba has a freezer room, and we have bought ice there in the past.